Lynskey Performance Designs R340 Road Bike

To further enhance the R340's race pedigree, it has been redesigned with our proven Race Pace geometry providing an aggressive feel and more responsive handling. The Helix Technology seatstays assist in resisting vertical forces allowing for improved sprinting and climbing. The R340 possesses the stiffness, lightweight and durability to withstand the rigors of competition and aggressive club riding on any road.

[Sep 16, 2012]
Jerry Kumke

OVERALL
Strength:

Quality, Performance, strength

Recieved my bike in Feb. Love this bike. Even an old dog like me can improve his performance with a Lynskey 340. It is super stable on the down hill and is very response when climbing overall it is a great ride

[Dec 05, 2011]
wdavebike

OVERALL
Strength:

stiff, light, fast, comfortable

Going in, I wanted the R430. I talked to Jack at Lynskey about what I was looking for in my new ride. I wanted something criterium stiff, but all day training comfortable; less than 3 pound frame weight; quick handling, but not twitchy. He said that although he would like to sell me the R430, I had just described the R340 to him. Jack explained that they were both top of the line frames, but the R430 uses 6/4 TI which is more time consuming to manufacture and work with; as opposed to the R340 using butted 3/2.5 TI. Jack explained that the 6/4 TI tends to ride a little harsher than a traditional 3/2.5 TI frame. Lynskey shapes and butts the tubing used in the R340 to race tune the ride. Although I was planning to purchase another custom geometry frame, like my Seven Axiom, I ended up going with a stock size medium. I did a lot of careful measurements of the Seven and decided that the stock Lynskey size Medium was the exact geometry I needed. So, I placed my order and 2 weeks later, the frame was delivered as promised. The welds, the tube shapes and the weight were everything I expected from Lynskey. With my build kit of SRAM Red, Zipp 404 Clinchers, Speedplay X-1 TI pedals, Easton EC90 carbon bar, Easton EC90 Superlight fork, Ritchey WCS stem, Chris King headset, Ritchey SuperLogic Carbon post, Fizik Aliante carbon rail saddle and a full complement of titanium replacement bolts; the bike came in at 15.9 pounds.

I knew from the looks of the massive bi-axial ovalized down tube, helix seatstays and oversized force specific chainstays that this thing was going to be stiff. The almost complete absence of flex in the top tube and down tube is proof of the superior knowledge that Lynskey possesses when designing and tuning a titanium frame. There's no twist or give in the frame and that enables you to concentrate all your power to the pedals and that power is mainlined right to the rear wheel. Defining the ride of the R340 is pretty simple. It’s fast; real fast. It thrives when being pushed hard and keeps asking for more of the rider. It’s not a demanding bike, but if you’re willing to put a lot in, it rewards you. Braking hard and late into corners reveals the bikes excellent cornering ability and exiting corners reveals how those shape specific stays amplify any power input into huge forward velocity. Climbing, thanks to the low weight, is effortless. This is a fun bike to ride. It’ll make you twice the rider you actually are, which a lot of bikes aren’t able to boast. The downside is that if you are not fit, you won’t be able to push it to its limits.

All of that classic sought after titanium ride quality is there, but you also get a frame that snaps from corner to corner and there’s no unwanted flex in the rear triangle which can hinder some titanium frames. If you like to be able to feel just the right amount of road underneath the tires, the R340 will be right up your ally. In fact, if you want a classy bike that is as fast as you’ve got legs for, the Lynskey won’t disappoint. I wasn’t expecting to be blown away, but I was. The Lynskey R340 is effortless to ride, it blasts through corners and skates up climbs. You can't help but ride it fast. It is certainly as 'stiff' as they promised but what I liked was the way the rear end held the wheel to the road as if it had traction bars. The head angle and Easton fork combine superbly for quick handling and smooth steering. You would be hard pressed to find a better bike anywhere. Lynskey offers an unconditional lifetime warranty on all their frames which is unusual for a racing bike. For me, the fact that they pride themselves on their ability to make cutting edge frames and stand behind them is a rarity in today’s market. I know that there are a lot of frames to choose from for racing, but I think you will have a hard time finding a better titanium racing 'superbike' for the money. Actually I know you won't find one, I've looked.

Litespeed Vortex
Seven Axiom TI

[Sep 26, 2011]
Barnardine

OVERALL
Strength:

The uncanny, energizing ride quality, the beautiful look (I got the mill finish), the weight (again 16 pounds all built up), the customer service: the Lynskey folks are a pleasure to deal with.

None for me.

I've just come back from doing the Six Gap Century in North Georgia, with my R340, which I've been riding for a year now. The only racing I do is cyclocross (I have a beater bike for that), and I spend most of my time on the road bike. I have a carbon bike too (a Pedal Force RS2). And I have a Litespeed Firenze (2004). I can honestly say that, after 100 miles, Titanium leaves me feeling better than carbon. It has a springy, energizing quality that carbon doesn't have, but the R340 is by no means mushy. I love the Firenze but the bottom bracket flexes a bit too much on steep climbs and sprints and the big ring touches the derailleur (this is with SRAM Red). I tried to move the derailleur away from the ring but that didn't work. The R340 doesn't have this problem, and it has the same ride quality as the Firenze. And because of the geometry it also corners better: I really appreciated the handling on the steep descents yesterday, going down Unicoi and Hogpen Gap. It's also a beautiful bike, and light enough for me: sixteen pounds even. I couldn't be more pleased. The fact that it's made in the US also pleases me. The more you look at it, the more clear it becomes that it was made with pride.

Litespeed Firenze, several steel Lemond frames, two Pedal Force carbon frames (QS2 and RS2).

[Sep 19, 2011]
Daniel Kessler

OVERALL
Strength:

Great finish. Super stiff with great handling.

None yet.

Judt got my new Lynskey last week and these are my first impressions. The frame is rock solid, super stiff and light. Great brushed finish. But the SRAM Force is a little clunky. Maybe I just need a tune but it ain't Ultegra.

Trek madone, Gunnar Roadie

[Nov 29, 2010]
R Felde

OVERALL
Strength:

It has a great look; the craftsmanship is extraordinary and it is nice to buy a bike that is made in the USA by passionate; creative and really good craftsmen. The folks at Lynskey are great to deal. I have done customer service training for some time; they model great customer service.there description of the bikes characteristics seem in my opinion to be right on.

it may be not as light as some racing bikes...but you would not know it accelerating or climbing. Some may not like the aggressive riding position..but this is a concern with any racing design. Though i don't race; I am older and ride a lot I still find it to be comfortable.

I consider myself to be an enthusiast; but certainly not an expert when it comes to bikes or riding. I have been riding for the last twenty-five years. I do ride a lot (I think)6000+ miles per year in a short season (6-7 months)with one to two long 4-500 mile supported rides. part of my riding includes training for long supported rides with substantial elevation gain, so I do I build that type of riding into my schedule. I have been fortunate to have had bikes that fit well and ride well so at the end of a long hard day it still feels good. My start with Lynskey was their 2008 Pro+Cross frame. I absolutely love that bike. Last spring (2010)I was looking for a new road bike frame. I was not sure what I was interested in; carbon or titanium. I had read so much about carbon, but in the end I knew how much I loved my cross bike so I went to Lynskey. I bought the 340 road frame with an edge 2.0 fork. It wasn't love at first ride. It took a little time in the saddle to adjust to the bike and to find the right fit adjustments. In part I think it had to do with a physical ailment I had at the time and then just adapting to a new ride after five years on my other bike.I can now say I am crazy wild about my Lynskey 340 road bike. I like the feel of the bike. The fit is right. About the riding qualities of the bike: lynskey made changes to this frame to make it more stiff...i would say it worked. It is so very, very responsive when it comes to acceleration. The energy transfer is immediate…I often test my self lagging behind what appear to be stronger riders only to then accelerate to catch up and most often pass.. Often they are much younger and I am sure feel they are much stronger and yet wisdom, blended with desire and a great machine can equal good fun. I am an older rider, don't race but i do like to go fast. I ride on average at least two clicks faster on my 340 then I did before. I was always a good climber, but now I am even better. My downside has been descending. But, the 340 is very good at that too. It is very stable, I feel so much more confident on higher speed, long descents. The combination of the titanium and carbon spokes on the wheel set creates a ride that is more comfortable than I would ever anticipated with a bike designed for racing. I ride on some pretty rough road surfaces, and the ride is great.This bike also seems very intuitive. I love the way it corners. In situations where quick and precise actions are essential it always feels as though the bike is one step ahead of me; which feels really amazing. My son now has my other road bike,,,he often asks if he can ride my Lynskey…that rarely happens because I enjoy the ride way too much.

I have purchased the Lynskey Pro+Cross in 2008. This bike performs exceptionally on and off road.

[Jun 20, 2010]
jacedur

OVERALL
Strength:

Lynskey Performance is a great Company to deal with.

Very well made, beautiful details, nice finishing. Perfect welds, very sweet design.

Very reasonably price Titanium Frames, and very well made.

Haven't found any yet.

FSA 44 bar
ritchey post
sella saddle
EC90 carbon fork
SRAM rival group, compact crank
Fulcrum 7 wheels

I took her for a shake down ride ( 10 miles) then tweaked her, and rode another quick 8 miles. So she is still pretty fresh.

Comments so far....

I have no idea why I never bought Titanium before, it is unreal. Building it, I thought I could crush it looking at i, every touch tings, and echoes, but it is a sweet musical kinda sound. The ride is to die for, I thought my 5.9 Madone was smooth, this is is heaven. Yet it puts power down better than the Kuota, it is stiff, responsive, feels fast yet very stable. I can't wait to spend some serious time riding it.

have SRAM red, and SRAM Force, I also have Shimano 105's, and DA 7800. The Rival sets up, and appears cheaper then the 105. However it shifts and rides better than my DA 7800. This definitely swayed my decision, I am SRAM all the way now.

Fulcrums... I now run Fulcrum 1's, 3's, 5's & with this setup 7's, the 7's are decent wheels for the money, and they definitely are Fulcrums, they feel nice.

One last comment, the Crane Creek... love it, they are now my choice for headset bearings, very smooth, very nice to setup.

I have several Carbon and Aluminum bikes.

The closet in character to this bike is a 2007 Trek Madone 5.9, however this bike is far smoother, far beter handling.