Merlin Metalworks Inc. Cyrene Chorus Road Bike

Frame Material: 3Al/2.5V titanium
Frame Angles: 73.5 head, 73.5 seat
Sizes: 45cm, 47cm, 52cm, 63cm, 49cm, 51cm, 53cm, 54cm, 55cm, 56cm, 57cm, 58cm, 59cm, 61cm
Colors: Polished
Pedals: Unspecified
Tires: 700 x 23c Vittoria Rubino Pro

[May 01, 2006]

OVERALL
Strength:

Everything! Handling, comfort, responsiveness.

bike is a little small for me, so I have had to install an offset seat post and a slightly longer stem. Spinergy Wheels.

The first time that I got on this bike, I almost had an orgasm. Seriously! I road in the neighborhood of 50 high end road bikes before settling on the Merlin and none of those other bikes could really compare to the ride of this bike. I am a large rider 6'2" 220lbs and the stiffness on this bike is more than ample for the amount of torque that I put on the pedals. The bike also sucks up the bumps and corners like it is on rails. I have put about 3,500 miles on this bike and every day I am in the saddle, I feel like the bike is making me a better rider than the day before.

As for the campy components. Wow...am I ever glad that I was totally uncompromising on this decision. The bike shop wanted to outfit me with Shimano, but I was not entirely satisfied with my old Dura Ace setup, so I insisted on Campy. The gear is bomb proof and it seems to get more precise with age. The ergo shifters are so far superior over the Shimano offering, that I don't really understand why anyone would choose Shimano.

Wheelset- I have Spinergy Xaero's. These wheels perform OK, but I would like to change them out. I am heavy and I think that I put too much pressure on them. I have already broken an axel and the wheels don't like to stay true. Will probably switch out for some Rolf Prima Rigor RS, as they are lightweight and strong enough to handle my size.

The bike is also a little small for me, because the bike shop was closing out their Merlins and this was the only bike that they had left. It is a 58cm and I should probably be on a 60. I thought about ordering the same bike in my size, but it was hard to say no to the ridiculously low price that they were offering.

People that should consider this bike: someone that wants the best and doesn't mind paying for it. Riders that are looking for a frame that will last them forever. heavier riders. Riders that want a bike that has the comfort and durability of steel, but the weight of bikes made with aluminum and carbon.