Merlin Metalworks Inc. Extralight Dura Ace 10 Road Bike

Frame Material: 3Al/2.5V titanium
Frame Angles: 73.5 head, 73.5 seat
Sizes: 45cm, 47cm, 63cm, 49cm, 51cm, 53cm, 54cm, 55cm, 56cm, 57cm, 58cm, 59cm, 61cm
Colors: Polished
Tires: 700 x 23c Vittoria Rubino Pro

[Aug 29, 2006]
Dave Patton

OVERALL
Strength:

Perfect blend of stiffness and comfort.

Other than cost, none that I've found.

Ride is incredible. Smooth, stiff, stable and fast.

1990 Battaglin
1993 Schwinn Paramount
1995 Colnago Superissimo
1998 Santana Team Ti-700 tandem

[Jun 22, 2006]
The Chez

OVERALL
Strength:

Clean welds, extra light, comfortable geometry, bling!, brushed look, ride quality, and light!

Bling.

My bike is actually a 2000 Merlin Extralight and I just got it. I freakin love it though. It's super super light and very supple. It had Ultegra 9 on it and I traded up to Dura Ace 10. Not really much of a difference but I could afford it at the time. The ride is much smoother than anything I've been on and I've tried steel, carbon and now titanium. I'm hooked on it. It's a great, smooth ride and when I stand up on it the thing zooms and on the downhills it screams. I look forward to many good years of use from this thing.

Specialized Epic carbon, Bianchi Eros, Giant OCR-2.

[Jun 12, 2005]
sony4me

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight, great power transfer on the hills, Dura Ace shifting, Flight Deck

None yet.

After reading all the reviews, which I have always been somewhat skeptical, I am so very very pleased that the bike has lived up to not only the reviews, but my own personal expections. Having ridden a Kestrel K200SCI for over 10 years, I thought that nothing could ever been as good. The Kestrel fitted 'perfectly'; I was in a great position, good power, comfortable, all the benefits of Carbon fiber, light weight. As I poured over the specs of the Extralight, I was concerned with some of the small changes in the geometry such as the seat angle and longer top tube. With the great professions at Sigmasports we were able to make changes to the stem length to make up for the minor geometrical changes of the new frame. With the latest Dura-Ace 10 speed parts and Dura-Ace wheels, Carbon stem and bars but my tried and loved Avocet O2 saddle, the bike came in at 16.2 lbs. That was a savings of over 3lbs from my Kestrel. That first ride over the familiar roads of Richmond park left me grinning from ear-to-ear as I came home. The rough patchs became even more smooth, and those hills just melted away. 3lbs is a lot not to have to lug up a hill. The downhill was tracked straight and solid and I didn't need to touch my brakes at all. The HP carbon fork was solid, stiff yet not harsh. My first 3 laps on the Extralight left me more relaxed than ever. I can't say enough for this bike. You have to ride it to believe it. By the way, if you can, get a Shimano flight deck with the Dura Ace setup. It is a thing of wonder not having to look down at your gears to see which gear you are in.

Kestrel K200Sci, Zunow Z-1