Motobecane Century Pro Road Bike

Shimano Ultegra Triple STI 27 Speed, Kinesium Area51 Tubing with Carbon Rear Stays, Ritchey OCR PRO DS Aero Wheelset, Ritchey Ergo Bar, Stem and Seatpost

[Aug 16, 2019]
mjsequeira

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice bike for the price

Dropped my bike after a year of great use. Slightly bent my rear derailleur hanger (did it's job, so that's good). Now I cannot find this hanger anywhere! I assumed that the strength of Motobecane was the use of standard parts, but seems like not so with hanger. Have tried all major retailers, and my local bike shop to help. No luck. Anyone else have this issue?

Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2018
[Nov 28, 2010]
pbr rider

OVERALL

I tool a leap of faith and bought this bike on line from Bikes Direct, b/c of the components and carbon fiber frame. All in all, the frame itself, is good, no complaints. I do however have beef w/ the components that bikes direct sells w/ the bike. In particular the FSA crankest. Not once, but 2 darn times my left crank arm has fallen off while in the middle of no where. Not Reliable, and would make extra sure you double check every bolt when you buy a bike from them. I'm for now, OK w/ the fame, but the crankset, not pleased w/ in the least bit. Good luck to you if you decide to go w/ bikes direct and be careful!

[Nov 26, 2008]
Bob M

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice balance of quality on the components. Great price. Light enough (haven't weighed it though) and a great change of pace from the FS mtb.

customer service not up to par but at this price they probably can't afford it and make a profit. I suspect if you have some rather major issue that requires a return, you'd have no problem. I would have rated the overall at 5 if the customer service were better. But if you want excellent customer service, or you can't wrench yourself, go to your LBD, you won't regret it unless the avg employee age is under 20 of course.

I've learned a lot on this forum so decided to contribute something. This was a sweet deal. I did my homework, read up on others' experiences with bikesdirect and decided since I do my own wrenching, it would be OK. I was right. The freewheel turned out to be garbage so instead of writing emails back and forth, sending the whole bike back and waiting a long time, I replaced it myself, cost $40 for the part at Bobcat bikes in Salinas. Problem solved in less than an hour. They are cool people. This experience was as much about dealing with bikesdirect as it was about figuring out what to get without being able to ride or even see the darn beast. I am loathe to get a dealer's input and test their stuff then buy online so this was a bit of a shot in the dark, based on experience building up mountain bikes and a lot of wrenching over the years. Bikesdirect has less than adequate customer skills and I suspected it would be that way. I realized after ordering my choice, that is was not actually in stock. Several email exchanges ensued with the bottom line that I got a different bike that was $5 less which I'm very happy with but the defensiveness of the employee was not helpful. I asked for the emails to be forwarded to a mgr or owner but never heard from anyone. This made me realize the best choice on the freewheel would be to replace it myself. It should be obvious to all who order bikes from them that you will probably be replacing some of the components over time if you pay less than $2,000. Under that and some of the components are of lower quality and should be replaced so you can customize your bike with lighter/better parts that YOU choose. They do not offer any customization and they make that clear up front so don't ask. Just realize if the word Ultegra is in the ad, it does not mean all the components are Ultegra, read carefully. The choices they make in what to make higher quality are good choices in my opinion. Rear derailleur was Ultegra, front was 105. Sturdy light Shimano wheels, ok brakes. Carbon frame, aluminum bars and stem and so on. The cheap seat is actually a very comfortable, a surprise. The setup was easy, none of the cables needed replacing or shortening although I had all those kinds of materials handy in case. It took about 2 hours to get it together and the only thing that I really had to do was retrue the rear just a bit. I was able to wait on that and do it at a friend's house, he has a truing stand. I think I might have had to adjust the rear derailleur just a bit but I have a Park stand I used to assemble it so it was done in 5 minutes. Haven't touched it since. I thought the wheels might need swapping but they turned out to be very good wheels, no problem with spokes or staying true, just the freewheel that was bad out of the box. I look forward to riding this black carbon beauty, it's wonderfully light esp. since I moved into road from mountain biking. If it were 2 lbs heavier than it should be, you could not get me to complain about it. Just one thing though, the Motobecane branding is a bit silly, it's only a decal, the company doesn't exist anymore. It was also a good excuse to get some cool new jerseys and shop for road shoes at REI.

[May 06, 2008]
John

OVERALL
Strength:

Level of Components, Frame for the Price.

Rim Strips.

Very nice price for a bike with Ultegra Components. I had the same issue with the rim strips and got a flat first time out on the front. Replaced the rim strips, added a cage, computer, pump, and seat bag.

70's vintage Motobecane Grand Touring

[Nov 06, 2007]
Carl J. Berninger

OVERALL
Strength:

Compared to my fine 1998 Fuji Roubaix, the Century Pro is plenty stiff, but gentle on the old bod. Seems to really want to go, go
go, even up hills. Brakes are buttery in feel and work well with the grooved Ritchey rims. Effortless shifting.

None - No customization is possible, since it comes in a factory packed box. Peddles are Wellgo, one sided clipless. Saddle is a bit hard.

This all carbon bike is sweet at a great price, which includes shipping from Texas.

See specs on bikesdirect.com

All carbon frame, including all stays and fork, Headset FSA, Shimano Ultegra rear and front triple, brakes Cane Creek SCR3, Hubs Ritchey Pro sealed, Rims, Ritchey Pro, Crank/BottomBracket FSA, Handelbars Ritchey Pro.

Ordered Sunday, arrived Thursday with sufficient firm emails and UPS tracking.

Packed in original Moto box, excellant.

Took several hours of easy setup. No adjustment necessary.

Have owned many bikes over my last 73 years.

[Oct 21, 2007]
Alex

OVERALL
Strength:

Components and Price are prefect, I like the semi carbon fiber body.

Its a great bike.

This is my first new/expensive bike. I've ridden and owned many used bikes, different sizes and geometries. What attracted me to this bike vs the Trek 1200 or 2100 was the fit. This bike fit me perfect, and the components were great for the value.

KHS turbo bike. Shimano components 600 series.

[May 21, 2007]
tstambaugh

OVERALL
Strength:

great price, fast shipping, great bike

saddle. pedals ?

This is a fantastic bike. This is the 07 ultegra/Ritchey WCS package. Ive been on a mtb for the last 10 years, and had a c-dale R-300 7 years ago. lets start with the order. very easy to do. Ordered on sat, received on fri. The bike was packed well, took my time and spent about 1-hour getting it together. Sat morning spent another 30-min on the brakes and the gears which need minor adjustments. The color of the bike has a bit more purple in it than the pic show es. Still not bad! welds looked great, paint could have been better, but again not bad! over all the bike's appearance was better than expected. First ride was fantastic. I live in Colorado springs, which the roads are not the best in the world, and no road is flat. The carbon mix on the bike performed well, and the ride quality was exceptional. The saddle is just OK, as are the pedals. They are the SPD type. However you can have the bike out of the box and on the road in a very short time. I spent some time in the LBS looking at bikes to confirm I had a great deal sitting in my garage. I came across a Litespeed, $3200.00. It had all ultegra components, including wheels and crank. I picked it up. My bike was lighter and had some better components on it for $1195.00. I found my conformation. Also if your looking at the century team. The only difference in the team and the pro are the DA-drive train. and about $400.00 in price difference. I'm convinced that this Is the best deal going.

MTB, c-dale R-300

[May 07, 2006]

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, good gemotry. fast on sprints, and very solid. PRICE!!!!! anyone who wants a great set up for cheap here it is. The groupo is ausome, along with the shimano wheels. The 550's were not what i thought came on the bike. so it was a nice little suprise when i opened the box.

RIM STRIPS. I replaced them the moment i got the bike. Seat is not the worst i have had, but it is not the best, but come on everyone replaces the seat.

'06 Motobecane Century Pro
Shimano Ultegra 6600 components, Shimano Whr550 wheels; aluminum frame with carbon fiber fork and seat stays. I have the 56cm frame, resenobaly weighed. great for sprinting, and climbing.

To many to list. this is my 18th road bike and im only 22 yrs old. What can i say i am a bike snob. Trek, Bianchi, Gunner, Waterford, Lemond, and felt just to name a few.

[Feb 26, 2006]

OVERALL
Strength:

Components and frame. At 6'3" and 215", I was worried about frame flex. This has NOT been a problem! In daily commuting and recreational riding, I have not felt any frame flex. Shimano Ultegra shifters are effortless-you click, it shifts. Ritchey handlebars are great whether you are commuting or leading the pack. SPD clipless pedals are included with the bike.

As noted by gjrider, you MUST replace the stock WHR550 rim strips. I (stupidly) did not heed the warning, and promptly blew the front wheel tube prior to even mounting the wheel in the frame. Pedros 16mm strips now reside on the wheels; no flats since their installation.

'06 Motobecane Century Pro Shimano Ultegra 6600 components, Shimano Whr550 wheels; aluminum frame with carbon fiber fork and seat stays. Bike is incredibly light, and I have the 62cm frame. Wheels were true right of the box. Great bike, and incredible (none better) value.

Trek. LaMond, and Specialized.

[Jan 30, 2006]

OVERALL
Strength:

Price! Handling is dead on. Feels quick, nimble. Wheels feel solid and go when stomped. Carbon stays and fork absorb much road noise.

Stock rim strips are junk. Before you even inflate the tires, remove the junky rubber rim strips and install some nice fabric adhesive types. If you leave the rubber ones in you WILL FLAT! The rubber moves and will allow the tube to come in contact with the spoke holes and won't that be a nasty surprise!

Actually is a 2006 Century Pro. I've ridden about 100 miles so far on this bike. Buying this bike is a no brainer. Ultegra 6600 components complete. Nice Shimano aero wheels with bladed spokes, Ritchey seatpost, stem and handlebars. Also has carbon seatstays and a carbon aero fork. I've got the 62cm and it's just over 18lbs complete. Try to match that for the under $2000.