Motobecane Le Champion Titanium Road Bike

Frame
Geometrically enhanced, butted 3/2.5 Titanium with replaceable derailleur hanger, 2x H2O bosses Click Here to See Image Gallery

Fork
AeroCarbon SL High Modulus Monocoque 3K Carbon Fiber with 1.125 inch Aluminum Steerer

Headset
FSA IS2 Sealed Bearing Threadless 1.125 inch

Derailleurs
Shimano Ultegra 6700 10 Speed (20 Spd total) front and rear

Shifters/Levers
Shimano Ultegra 6700 10 Speed STI (20 Speed total)

Brakes

Brushed Titanium Click Here for Image Gallery

[Apr 23, 2020]
jeffbozo

OVERALL
Strength:

Quality frame and drivetrain. Assembley from the box is simple and takes less than 30 minutes.

Purchased:
Used
[Dec 11, 2011]
RMW

OVERALL
Strength:

Handling, Value. On the flat I can do an almost effortless 18mph.

I am a bit worried about the back wheel. I read that some Mavic Askiums are lemons. The wheel was re-tensioned and trued in the shop, and is now out of true again after one long fast ride. There might be a QC problem at Mavic. I'II try loosing 20lbs. The brake pads are the dusty cheapo type -- but hey! you've gotta cut the costs somewhere. Will upgrade to Shimano ultegra.

I went with Titanium since the roads around here are dangerously bad, relentless deep potholes and trenches, plus I am a heavier rider (210LBS). A bad combo for bikes. The frame on my old Alu Trek1200 eventually cracked, and I didn't want to risk getting a new "disposable" carbon or Al frame. My priorities are durability and quality.
This bike is a massive upgrade. Assembly was straightforward (I did watch the Bikes Direct video). I was very surprised on my first trip out; the ride was Smooth Smooth Smooth. The Ti really soaks up the bumps, just like people say. The components are awesome, the ultegra gears have a great positive feel and shifting is flawless. I must mention that I love the handle bars, the thick tape works for me, and the little halfway kink makes the drop position way more comfortable than normal. The bike is very fast and responsive, lots of WOW! Highly recommended. Doing Centuries on this will be an absolute pleasure. I bought the 56cm; I am almost 6 foot, with a 34" inside leg. The fit seems fine to me. The riding position is similar to the Trek; Sporty(ish).
After some initial wearing-in the bike REALLY needed a tune up (stretched cables, steering head went very loose, back wheel needed extreme truing). The FSA compact has a great gear range and I have adopted without problems from my old Triple (I do a lot of hills).

Trek 1200 (with bullet proof Mavic wheels)

[Aug 24, 2011]
Leonard --Greenville SC

OVERALL
Strength:

Very lite weight, compact crank set is so nice for my old legs. Boy does this bike take off with little pedal effort.

No weakness in my book, Sweet ride

Fast delivery and easy 30 min assembly. The finish is very nice and rides very smooth. My first bike has lasted me 39 years and still very rideable and this titanium choice should be my final bike of my life. I love the triangle shape of the main tubes. I had not noticed them in the online photos, great extra touch of style.

A custom assembled aluminum bike with all Ultegra components

[May 26, 2011]
Paul

OVERALL
Strength:

Price ($2600 including shipping? Unbelievable!), frame stiffness, top-end gruppo, appearance.

Mavic hubs. It's great that they are zero maintenance, but they don't roll as smoothly as the Campy SR on my old bike. But this it splitting hairs somewhat; my rides are still very fast.

This is a review for the 2011 Moto LeChampion Ti with the SRAM Red gruppo.

I'm 5'6", 145#. I use the Moto for 3x-4x/week commuting (24 flat miles) as well as for longer weekend rides.

Out of the box, it was simple to set up. All bolts were still tightened to spec. I have tools & have been working on bikes for years, so it took about 35 minutes to get it rolling.

This bike is great. Shifting is precise, braking is very strong, it seems glued to corners on downhills, it's lightweight, and makes me feel like I could race again. Average speed is up almost 2mph over my (old) steel-frame Bianchi. The Ti frame isn't as smooth as steel, but it's still nice and has no noticeable flex. I've put 800 miles on it in the last two months and have no complaints. The bike is a steal!

[Jan 24, 2011]
wreednelson

OVERALL
Strength:

Responsive, lively, comfortable, powerful SRAM brakes, great gearing, climbs well.

None when value is considered.

Having ridden carbon and aluminum bikes for 20 years, my impression of the frame is very good. It feels lively and the geometry [along withe the compact drive train] is great for climbing.

Trek OCLV
C'dale R900

[Nov 03, 2010]
Gary in WI

OVERALL
Strength:

THE FRAME. Also, the component mix is good for the price range. Although Asksium wheels have mixed reviews, I have had zero problems with this set or the olds on my old bike.

The bottom bracket (FSA) has developed an annoying creak when I stand on the pedals and lean the bike over. I plan on switching to a Shimano BB over the winter. I also wish the bike had more understated graphics. The stock brake pad were terrible and I replaced those with Kool Stops.

A little background ... I'm 57, 165#, semi-in shape and owned the bike for just over one year and 3200 miles. I wanted a non-carbon fiber frame (I say that and the bike has a carbon fork - so I guess I'm not consistent)and took a chance on bikesdirect. The bike arrived quickly & in good condition. The frame is nice, with a couple neat shaped tubes. Welds are uniformly good. The ride is good, but somehow I was expecting "velvety smooth" which it's not quite, but then again, I'm kind of old.

My previous bike was an 1995 all-aluminum Raleigh R600 which served me well for over 40,000 miles

[Oct 09, 2010]
zippy the pinhead

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, welds appear to be good quality (they compare favorably with other, more expensive Ti frames), great value

Ritchey saddle has MSRP of $60 or so, but I replaced it with my $35 (perma-sale price) Forte Classic saddle, which is far more comfortable.

2010 model with FSA crankset. Upon receiving the bike, I took it to my bike mechanic friend for a pre-ride tune-up, dork disc removal, etc. This guy knows his bikes, and he was impressed with this Motobecane. He said the frame appeared to be very good quality, with features (like the triangular top-tube, ovalized down-tube, and the welds) that suggest it is made to last.

The next thing I did was to replace the tires (with Ultra Gatorskins), the brake pads (with Kool-Stop pads), and the Ritchey saddle (with my favorite $35 Forte Classic saddle).

I've got almost 350 miles on the bike now, and I like it. I think it is a great value.

None. The last time I had a new bike was 25 years ago. I usually ride used bikes.

[Aug 28, 2010]
Kevin Brown

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast, quick, confidence inspiring and plush. I did a killer 103 mile ride with over 7500 feet of climbing about 4 days after buying the bike and it performed perfectly. super value, super bike and bikesdirect was very responsive.

The seat and bars weren't for me, but more personal preference than quality of he components. I really don't like the brake pads, lots of dust, not much stopping power, but again minor item

bought the 2010 le champion titanium with full ultegra. fantastic bike, tremendous value. The bike is fast, light and plush. It was slightly large, I bought a 56cm and I am 5'11". I changed out the stem to shorter one an it fits perfectly now. It is amazing how responsive titanium is while reducing the road buzz and edges of sharp bumps and potholes. Handles like a dream.

Trek 2200, Specialized,

[May 22, 2010]
Alex

Great bike

[May 17, 2010]
dolomoto

OVERALL
Strength:

Titanium frame, Dura-Ace drivetrain, name brand (Mavic, Cane Creek, FSA, Shimano, Ritchey) components. Did not need tweaking out of the box.

Then included seat did not fit well with my Ischial Tuberosities.

Finally, I received my 2010 Motobecane LeChamp Ti road bike. The UPS guy delivered it (10 days from ordering) and it was packed very well. I rode 3600 miles last year on a clapped out, undersized mid-90's Trek 2300 so just about anything is an improvement. Assembly was very simple requiring just caveman tools (allen wrench, screwdriver, etc) and went along nicely. The OEM Ritchey seat blow donkey balls...I hope they saved a TON of money with that. Easy enough switch to the saddle from my Trek. I only had a shakedown run of 17 miles. First impression: Great bike at a fantastic price. The welds are nearly perfect and the components were installed correctly as I only adjust the parts I assembled (handlebars, Shimano pedals (included!), front wheel. Wheels are the basic Mavic wheel, very sturdy and true out of the box. Sadly, the Motobecane stickers don't come off easily, but the rest do. Handles great and a bit different compared to the 15 yr old Trek. Handlebars are of a nice contour and high quality. I'm looking forward to a longer ride tomorrow.

n/a