Motobecane Vent Noir Road Bike

Shimano Ultegra/105 Triple STI 27 Speed, TruVativ Touro Triple Crank, 7005 series Double Butted Aluminum Frame, Kinesis Carbon Fork, ProMax DualPull Brake Calipers, Ritchey AeroProDS Rim Wheelset, M-Wings Competition Bar, Stem and MicroAdjust Seatpost

[Oct 11, 2018]
oldmanva

OVERALL
Strength:

Pros: Price point, components, handling, comfort. Cons: Cosmetically, the weld joints are noticeable.

Full disclosure: This is my first road bike. But I've enjoyed it for (now) about 8 months and 550 miles. I don't ride every day but I just did my first century ride on it so I know what it is to spend the day on it. The 105 components are nice! I suppose I ride it hard so like anything, it helps to keep things tuned up, which I do regularly. The brakes aren't 105 but they still work though I don't use them often. I like to go fast and hard. The seat is a seat. I'm not sure that there is a seat in the world that is particularly comfortable after 8 hours. Corning is fun. I feel more and more confident slamming into a turn at 18 mph. The tires hold well and I feel like I can be really hard on this bike and it will just take whatever I throw at it. That said, I'm curious to try a carbon bike just because all the cool kids have them. I think mine was a 2016 although I bought it new in 2018. ??? Doesn't really matter to me. Though I see where Shimano just re-did the 105 line. So I have zero ragrets about my purchase. This bike will take me many places it seems. My next purchase will be an off-road bike because, again, all the cool kids have mountain bikes too! Cheers!

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2016
[Feb 27, 2015]
Robbie

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, Functionality

Sense of quality

Honestly there's not much I can say negatively about this bike. I put "sense of quality" as a weakness just because it's kind of like buying the generic brand. I have yet to see a bike shop stock Motobecane and they usually comment on how it's been 30 years since they've ever seen one. I've had it for 8 years and ridden it intermittently throughout that time, ranging from collecting dust in a garage for 12 straight months to now being ridden about 30-40 miles a week to and from work. The chain slipped off and broke a couple spokes recently so I'm in the middle of replacing the wheel. I had to change a pedal crank arm when I first got it, and when I went in for the first tune-up, they re-routed the cables to make it a little more efficient. Ever since the first or second week of owning it, I have noticed that the bike prefers certain gears and will often resist changing or if I try to shift one it'll sometimes insist on going two (yes, I know how to shift these gears and I assure you that the instances I'm talking about are not caused by me accidentally hitting the shifter an extra click to go two gears - on the contrary, I love the shifters and they work brilliantly). Occasionally I'll even be going along fine and it will sporadically shift into the adjacent gear. It has maintained this quality even after tune-ups so I'm not sure if every tune-up I get is ineffective or if it really is the bike. I'm used to it so it doesn't really bother me anymore. Other than that, the bike has worked great for me. It's my first road bike so from day one it's felt extraordinarily light and nimble and without having experience on expensive road bikes, I have no comparison. It looks and feels great. Sure it's not one of those super-bikes but on my morning commute I pass some of those fancy bikes as they're out for their daily training/workout and I feel like a champ. If I were to do it again, I would go for two front gears instead of three.

[Nov 23, 2014]
Tee P

OVERALL
Strength:

Stable and secure, especially on steep downhill turns.
Responsive. Instantly goes where I look.
Solidly built - durable.
Relatively light.
Good clean looks.
Bang for the buck.

Can't ride it on rough paths with comfort, so I stick to smooth roads.
On long rides, it can get a bit buzzy. This can be counteracted by going to 25 mm. tires and avoiding a deep profile wheel.
Makes me wonder why people use 23 mm. tires. No more for me on any of my road bikes.

I have had mine for ten years, at least 35K miles on it.
Replaced:
1)Crank - the teeth had gotten too sharp and were wearing out my chains
2) Three chains and cassettes.
3) Cables at least four or five times
8) Wheels
9) At least four sets of tires
10) Saddle
11) Both derailleurs
So, what is original? Aluminum frame and carbon front fork, and they are still terrific.

Vintage Italian 1980's bikes, steel, 12 speed down tube shifters. Beautiful rides, albeit more finicky.

Gary Fisher aluminum 29er with Schwalbe Big Apple slicks. Drop ends added to the stick handlebars.....fun.

[Aug 13, 2012]
lazybean

OVERALL
Strength:

Great ride, has mounts for rear cargo rack. After one year it has been a superb first road bike.

Seat, brake pads suck, shifter and brake cable lengths too long out of box(minnor detail)

The bike gets shipped direct, so I had to trim and put new ferral on the cables when I assembled it. But that is just a very very minor detail.
It is my first road bike so at first i wasnt sure if the seat was bad or just me getting used to it. after 6 months i bought a new seat, and found it was the seat.

The brake pads just feel horrible to me. Not sure if its because im used to mountian bike with monster brakes. but they have the worst feeling. i am switching them out next week to try the kool stop salmon pads.

Those are the only complaints i have had after one year of riding. I have loaded this bike with 20lbs of clothes and a laptop in panniers and rode to work. While not handling the best, it survived that and 250lbs of rider for a few months. I now get to leave all that gear at work and can ride a lot more often. My long rides are now 30 miles and the hills are breezing by.

The best thing i can say about this bike is its letting me enjoy the rides. For the price i dont think i could have done better.

[May 10, 2012]
JD

OVERALL
Strength:

Good component mix for the money.Drive train very solid.Have 4k on the wheels now...they are bulletproof.The frame appears identical to a Cannondale R500,KHS Flite 700,Felt 85 or Trek 2000 from 2005.

Seat,alloy bars,stem and post are the weak links here.

Got the bike used on CL for $300.Upgrades: Seat,105 STI shifters,FD & brakes,carbon stem,bars & post,compact double crank w/external BB,Ultegra RD. Bike weighs under 20lbs now and have $700 in it.

[Mar 30, 2012]
Teknikscian

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, light, well made

Would have liked a better crankset, no big deal though.

I have the 2012 version of this bike, and I am thoroughly impressed. For the price, you cannot beat it. It does not come with all of the best parts, but everything is way more than acceptable. It rides fast, it's light weight, the Tiagra/105 setup shifts smoothly, and and the Veluta wheels are a thing of beauty. I'm not mad at it. I'm not gonna not ride it until the wheels fall off.

[Jan 15, 2010]
paracielo

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff and stable ride, great in high speed downhill corners, picks up speed fast, easy to control.

Stiff ride takes its toll on long rides. Slower going up hills than carbon bikes. (Faster going down!)

Great bike for the money.
Have put over 20K miles on it. Replaced one shifter, several chains, all cables, a hanger and two cassettes.

[May 28, 2009]
John Ropiequet

OVERALL
Strength:

Everything, light, fast, strong

Seat could be upgraded but no big deal

Overall Great Bike. Screw the label snobs, I'll spend 2000 on a bike when I ride in the TdF. The Vent Noir looks and rides great. Love the Vuelta wheels. Awesome bike for people who like to ride and not stand around and admire bikes.

[Jan 26, 2009]
theoc7

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight black wheelset,glossy black paint/stealth look

I didn't like the saddle, I mean it was alright, but I wanted a lighter better looking saddle so I chose the Selle Italia SLC and it looks so much better. Also I wish this bike would have came with a Compact crank it has FSA Velo Triple Crank,but it's cool. I'm sure to upgrade that later. Also I think the bottom bracket makes noise when I drive with my right foot only. Upgrading to USE Carbon seatpost.

First off it's a 2009 edition the one on bikesdirect right now. I was looking into buying a cheap $200 road bike but I did alot of research and decided to go with a glossy black Vent Noir. Never having owned a quality bike, I was mesmerized with the build quality of the components. The rims alone are $700. you get free clipless SPD pedals with purchase so that alone pays for my bike price. This bike is fast, and I get looks everywhere from people admiring such bike.

[Sep 08, 2008]
Johnna

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight, stiff frame and somewhat professional derailleur/shifter parts. Vuelta Pro wheels and the black frame are beautiful. I love the appearance of this bike.

The bike was bought from the net and needs to be professionally set up. The stem aggressively puts you forward and was uncomfortable for me. All in all I paid around $200.00 to get it to fit me.

I wanted to replace a thirty year old Ross and would periodically wander into bike shops and look at the under 20 pounders wondering where can I get the $1500.00 to buy one??
I found it in this bike, everything and more.

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.