Norco Products Search Road Bike

[Jan 17, 2017]
Crankflips

OVERALL
Strength:

Hydraulic discs give drag free, low maintenance, consistent braking
Thru axles front and rear mean no disc rotor rubbing on the pads
ARC seatstays absorb small bumps

Front end is super stiff

Bought this to replace a Trek Crossrip as my daily commuter. Was a bit iffy before handing over my hard earned cash as I wasn't convinced that I'd be getting much of an upgrade for the price i would be paying ($2500 AUD). Took it for a 10 minute test ride and WOW my mind was made up! Felt way more agile than the Crossrip from the very first pedal stroke, but just as stable at speed. Now after a month of commuting on the Search i'm happier than ever that I decided to upgrade.
Coming from an aluminium frame, the carbon frame felt way more responsive,and small bump compliance is excellent. The ARC seatstays work as designed, absorbing the small bumps and chatter on the rear end, it was so good that more than a few times I've had to glance down at my rear wheel to make sure I didn't have a flat!
Geometry was spot on for commuting, the longer wheelbase allows for wider tires - I run 28s at the moment with full length mudguards and should be able to go to at least 32 with the mudguards, but it still felt like I coould accelerate quicker than the Crossrip which had a similar length wheelbase.
Love the hydraulic discs, Shimano RS505, some people complain about the shape as there is a hard bulge where your palm rests but this is no issue for me. My Crossrip had TRP HY-RD's which perform very well for a cable/hydraulic hybrid brake but full hydro is excellent - no more cable drag, no more pad adjusting, and consistent, powerful braking in all conditions. Thru axles also ensure your wheels are in the same spot every time so no more pad rubbing on the rotors.
As the one weakness I've said the front end is super still - fork is full carbon and combined with the thru axle means straight tracking through rough terrain but the payoff is you can feel alot of bumps...however dropping the pressure in my front tire to 85PSI has helped this.
The paint job looks sweet, internal cabling also keeps the look nice and clean. In summary, a sweet bike that I love riding. I'll be keeping this one for a while and upgrading as bits break and wear out.