Paketa Bikes Magnesium Road Bike

*Paketa's robust carbon fork with 1 1/8" carbon steerer tube for razor-sharp corning and descending *FRM C-Set sealed bearing headset (installed) *Seatpost clamp; special offset design for carbon seatposts *Bottom Bracket shell faced and chased, ready for build-up! *Replaceable aluminum rear derailleur hanger

[Apr 27, 2017]
Steve Scarich

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight. Absorbs road shock. Pinpoint handling. Stiff at bottom bracket.

Red powder coat is pretty garish. Mine was a team bike, so has additional logos from team. But, many would like the look; I'm just a stealth kind of guy.

This was an unridden team frame from nearly 10 years ago. Has Easton EC 90 all carbon fork. Full build for 57 cm bike w/SRAM Red and Easton EA 90 SL wheels right at 16 lbs. Frame is bright red; welds are large, but consistent. I am 175 lb. very strong rouleur. I have owned most of the best bikes (Calfee, Cannondale, Serotta, Ibis, Merlin Ti, etc.) and this is a keeper. Compares closest with my Calfee Tetra-Pro, but a bit stiffer in BB, but good on chipseal. Descends well (although maybe a beefier fork would be better for my weight). Powdercoat is unmarked after 5000 miles. I got it on Craigslist for a super-bargain; at full retail (~$3K frame and fork), still a fair deal. Quick handling & race geometry, so maybe not the best rondenee bike.

Merlin Extralight, Calfee TetraPro, Cannondale Caad 8,Giant TCR Pro, Arcalis01

[Jan 30, 2008]
bigsprinter

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong, Stiff, Comfortable

Could be a tad lighter, hard to find

Stiff, Comfortable, Strong.

Very stiff laterally and torsionally; I can't get any chain rub and the front-end is just as stiff when sprinting even with a full-carbon fork.

Unfortunately I crashed twice this year and both I think would have damaged a Scandium/Aluminum or many CF frames. Mine came out unscathed, so there is some truth to the thicker mag tubes being less dent-prone.

Also rides like a dream, way better than any other material I've ever ridden. Lively like Steel but stiff... and even with the full mag rear triangle the bike soaks up rough pavement incredibly well.

Salsa Campeon, Klein Aura, Cannondale CAAD, Look KG461

[Jan 15, 2007]
Scott

OVERALL
Strength:

Very comfortable bike with a great ride. Fit and finish is also top quality and it is AMERICAN MADE! which is getting to be hard to find. The price is also reasonable for this quality of bike. Weight is also under 17 lbs for a 60cm bike.

In my legs on hills.

Purchased a new 2006 Paketa, my first new bike in years. This bike is very comfortable and very stable. The ride is different than other materials and is very responsive. I am also impressed by the fit of this bike and the attention that the guys at Paketa give their customers. I wanted a different color that stock (Ferrari Yellow) and they complied w/no questions. The finish on my bike is also very durable and attactive.

Waterford 2200, Custom steel bikes, Dean Ti.

[Sep 16, 2006]

OVERALL
Strength:

Freakishly smooth vibration dampening
Lightweight
Excellent welds
super responsive, some might say twitchy. Maybe not for rec riders.

Paint job is pedestrian.

I have a sweet titanium Omega Alchemy for my TT, but the Paketa is a screaming machine! The acceleration is neck snapping. I've test ridden some carbons, but wanted something less mushy. Magnesium provides superior damping and whacked out stiffness I've never felt before. (Make we want to test ride a Dogma, although I'm aware Italian rig$ are $imply too expen$ive due to hype.) Local mechanic and seasoned welder said the welds were superior grade, so I guess the Russians are true craftsmen, too.

I often get stares because it's not a lemming bike (Trek, Cannondale, Giant, etc.). No slam on those manufacturers, it just fits my personality to not bland, er, blend in.

Decked with DA and some mid-end carbon Xero wheels, this featherweight is one fast machine.

Giant TCR
Felt F-1c
Specialized Tarmac
Trek Madone

[Oct 21, 2004]
roddw

OVERALL
Strength:

ride is super smooth. handling is rock-solid. price is very reasonable.

looks (no smooth-welds, boring paint job).

Purchased this frame/fork used from a team in Colorado. Have ridden most other frame materials before trying magnesium--and I must say it is very, very nice! Soaks up road shock as well as any carbon or titanium frame, yet still responsive. I have several other road frames that are built up with the exact same components, wheels, seat, bars, etc. so it is easy to compare apples to apples. This frame may not have the prestige/looks of a colnago, derosa, etc.; but for overall ride quality, I would rate it as good, if not better than many other high-end frames.

colnago c40, ct1, dream, trek 5900, somec flash, derosa steel.