Pinarello 2009 FP3 Dura Ace Road Bike

[Dec 06, 2009]
Jamal m

OVERALL
Strength:

Good for climbing, sprint and long distance ride

little heavy! but it's not a problem.

I'm 47 years old. My FP3 model 2009.Just 6 time ride with Pina FP3. 2 days back to back ride 300 km. Best bike ever I have before. Last time I have Proton T-Sprint (Malaysia Product) and Bianchi Alloy Hidrocarbon Frame. FP3 is the best. Best for long distance ride, power for climbing, booster sprint and enjoy for constant ride 35km/h - 40km/h.Just bought 3 weeks ago, I love it!

Merida Scultural, Specialized Tamac,

[Nov 30, 2009]
Runr44

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff but forgiving ride. Great aceeleration, climbing, descending and cornering. Wonderful feel for all day riding

If there are any, it won't be the frame but the components.

This is a review of the 2009 FP3 with full Ultegra components and Fulcrum Racing 7 wheels and hubs.

It doesn't take long in the saddle to know that this is a great bike. I've been riding road bikes since the 80's and this as a sweet a ride as I have ever had. I decided to make the move from my old Pinarello Montello Columbus steel road frame (top of the line back when I bought it). Technology has changed a lot since then and a CF frame of the quality that Pinarello makes at this price was just too much to pass up.

I find the ride to be stiff but not brutal. It turns at your thought and every pedal stroke leads to forward movement. Climbing is never easy, but this bike helps you with energy transfer. Decents feel tight and controlled even when you hit some crud or bumps in the road. On the flats it is easy to get into a great rhythm and the bike helps you to keep to form.

The fit and finish are excellent. They know how to make a bike look beautiful while still making it very functional. Getting the full Ultegra set was unexpected since it is advertised with some MOst components. As with any bike, there is always some break in time, but after a few hundred miles in the hills of New England I really like this bike. It is a better feel than my old Pinarello while actually performing better overall.

Honestly, I am sure Cannondale and Specialized CF frames in the same price range are great bikes, too. All I can say is that this ride feels like a road bike should and it felt right to stay in the family!

This is a frame will allow you to improve as far as you want to go.

[Oct 06, 2009]
louielouie62

OVERALL
Strength:

Crisp, clean handling, awesome looks, HEAD TURNER!!!

A bit on the heavy side but not noticeable.

I bought my 2009 Pinarello FP3 with Campy Centaur this past August 21st. Since then I have put about 500 miles on it and every new mile just feels better and better. I’m 69 inches tall with a 32 inch inseam and bought the RED 51.5 (is there any other color?) which comes standard with the 110mm stem. Prior to my FP3 I was riding a 2007 Specialized Allez Expert Triple size 54 with full Ultegra(see review here) which is also a very nice bike.

But the Pinarello is a Lamborghini compared to the Allez which is more of a Mustang. You can go test ride the Prince and then test the FP3 and I guarantee you that unless you’re a Pro Peloton cyclist you will not notice the difference. It is just one sweet ride. I actually miss it when I’m not riding it and away on business and I find myself just staring at it when I’m home. IT WILL TURN HEADS!! So if you don’t like the “bling” factor don’t buy it! Happy cycling!

2007 Specialized Allez Expert

[Jul 24, 2009]
Defcon1

OVERALL
Strength:

Acceleration, hill climbing, stability in sprints, handling, attractive looks

A touch heavy, but barely noticeable

It's a surprisingly comfortable ride for a racing frame, and that's important at my age (61). It takes grades, shallow or steep, better than anything I've ever ridden and accelerates around corners with great stability. I'm not that refined a rider, but this feels like a Prince on a pauper's budget.

2007 Lemond Victoire

[Jul 13, 2009]
james_in_Italy

OVERALL
Strength:

Rigid frame, great handling, smooth ride, fantastic looks and finish, stability in descents. It's a Pinarello!

A tad heavy at 18.3 lbs including Keo classic pedals, Zonda wheels, two bottle cages, and heaps of Pinarello decals. Expensive compared to comparably equipped competition.

I just picked up my Centaur equipped FP3 and put in a couple hundred kilometers so far.
A little background... I'm 5'-10" and 155 lbs, non racer but road biked for 35 years. I enjoy the weekend metric-century group ride. My previous bike was a mid-70's steel lugged, campy record equipped Raleigh Pro which I must say served me well.
I upgraded my FP3 from the factory to include the Most XLR (Selle Italia SLR) saddle, Most Thundercat ergo handlebar, and Campagnolo Zonda clincher wheels - otherwise all stock with Keo pedals.
First impressions are "wow" the FP3 is light years ahead of my Raleigh - as expected with 35 years of technological improvements. However, I'll try to be objective...
Ride quality seems plenty rigid and responsive, while also smooth and not at all punishing to the rider. On the maiden voyage I took it straight up the nearest hill and found it to be a worthy climber, not surprising given the 5-6lb weight reduction from the Raleigh. More impressive was on the descent where it's Prince-like geometry produced a combination of confidence and excitement the likes of which I've never felt on a bike before. I backed off at 55+kph but the bike felt very stable and clearly wanted to go much faster. To quote another reviewer "It tracked like it was on rails." On the flats it simply does what it's told. Power transmission feels very efficient - the bike just wants to go! Handling is consistently stable without feeling heavy and never felt "twitchy".
For me the aesthetics were also a factor. The finishing is top-notch and IMHO the Pinarello designs are some of my favorite cycling eye candy. I wanted a bike both beautiful and functional. The FP3 doesn't disappoint me.
The bike is not an ultralight. With two bottle cages and pedals it tipped my bathroom scale at 18.3 lbs. The bars added a few grams, the seat took a few off compared to stock components.
The 2009 Centaur gruppo is performing admirably and I love the new ergo levers! The braking is excellent. I ride on the hoods a lot and find a finger or two on the top of the lever is plenty under almost all conditions. I love the ergo bars, and with the ergo levers mounted high on the bar it creates a wide 'table' to rest my palms on comfortably with a smooth transition on and off the hoods.
I heard mediocre reviews of the stock Chall aluminum wheels, and given wheel importance - gave them a pass. The Zonda wheels look great, roll smooth, feel rigid under torsional stress, and while it's too soon to report on durability, others have given them solid reviews.
For what its worth, I toured the Pinarello factory in Treviso, Italy recently and saw firsthand their quality control and attention to detail. The FP3 frame (like other Pinarello CF frames) is made by Torayca in Taiwan. Once received in Treviso each frame gets a thorough inspection, numerous alignment checks using custom jigs and is meticulously finished in their new paint/decal shop area, and assembled.

1970's vintage steel lugged road bikes (first carbon fiber bike).

[Apr 24, 2009]
REVDHJONES

OVERALL
Strength:

very responsive
upgradeable - worthy of record 11 components
very beautiful

a bit heavy

I just purchased my FP3 from Cicliferca in Italy, who gets the bikes directly from Italy. I purchased the snow version with Centaur components after discussing the qualities of Dura Ace vs Campy. I already own two Dura Ace 7800 equipped bikes which person exceptionally well. But even the lowly Centaur IMHO performs as well as DA and is more fitting on this bike. I've upgraded the Most wheels, crank, seat, bars,and stem to Fulcum Racing 1's, FSA slk light compact crank. and Most Talon integrated bar/stem combo (beautiful and functional component), and a selle Italia slr kit carbonio white seat. I also switched out the rear derailleur to a Centaur carbon unit for aesthetic reasons only. This bike is faaast and comfy.bike climbs like a goat and descends with nary a twitch. Feels very stable and safe a 38+mph.

[Mar 18, 2009]
sbthaut

OVERALL
Strength:

Prince Geometry, look and feel for 2500.00 less(Prince frameset is 5500.00). Beautiful finish, and much rarer on the road than what you typically see out there. With component upgrades, only 100 grams and a couple of stiffening ribs separate me from riding a Prince.

Slightly heavier carbon frame (1100 grams vs 990 on a Prince). Stock bikes come in a bit heavy with MOst/Shimano component mix.

There are so many factors that can be attributed to the way a road bike feels, such as a proper fit, component mix, and so on. Its important to consider I am not riding a stock FP3 as I have swapped out almost everything. I wanted a Prince, but couldn't justify the price tag so I took the next best thing and built it up to reflect the component mix I would have purchased had I shelled out the bucks for a Prince frame. I made sure to get this dialed in perfectly and I couldn't be happier. Weighing in at just a touch over 16 lbs, this bike snaps off the line, carves through the corners and climbs like a mountain goat. I am not someone who reviews bikes for a living so I can't tell you the subtle nuances between my FP3 and a Prince (100 grams and some stiffening ribs are all that separate the frames) but I am guessing if you are a racing enthusiast like myself you won't be able to either. It's built as a no compromise race bike, stiff and aggressive, however I find myself quite comfortable in the saddle and don't anticipate any problems on the longer century rides. I feel more connected to this bike than anything I have ridden in the past, and I get giddy at the seamless transfer of power from legs to the road. Its a beautiful ride to behold and the fit and finish is exceptional. I did my research, and I feel that dollar for dollar I have no regrets.

Cannondale Six13, Specialized Roubaix Expert

[Sep 27, 2008]
skeedunt

OVERALL
Strength:

Cornering, Looks, Fast, Comfortable

A little on the expensive side, Warranty is only 2 years

This bike is fast, my previous bike had a triple on it - and at times I had to go down to the granny gears when climbing hills. With this bike I do the same route and have no problems with it being a double. I noticed my cadence has also jumped considerable. My average cadence on my old bike was around 92, with this bike my average has shot up to around 108. My average speed jumped up 3 mph as well with no other factors except the bike. When climbing hills you hardly notice you're exercising - the bike just goes. The biggest thing I have noticed so far is that this bike corners amazingly well. I really can't stress enough how nice this bike is - and it has room to grow as I get faster on it.

Trek, Novara, Cervelo, Felt, Giant