Pinarello Galileo Road Bike

A completely new bicycle for 2006 with an aluminium 7005 T6 frame. Galileo for 2006 is lighter than the previous version thanks to new, triple butted tubing.
GALILEO Tubing “Galileo Pinarello”, Tig welding. Fork “ONDA” carbon 1” 1/8 integral system, CRS carbon “ONDA”.

[Oct 28, 2014]
marvin

OVERALL
Strength:

I bought it used from my buddie and at that time it had about 500km on it.
Well, that's not that much but it looked already really used- the aluminium on the top tube was dull an the handlebar tape was depleted. I changed the handlebar tape and polished it a bit( it was not worth :D ).
In the first year I drove about 500km- without any problem. Then, second year about 1000Km, I changed the chain and agaein the handlebar tape - I don't know why it doesn't work more than this bit of usage?!
This year, in 2014 I've driven 7000km on it. Now I think I can really evaluate this product.
It has a very stiff frame, the parts, the frame, the wheels. the saddle and so on are really good for driving long-distance. You've got a comfortable seating position, you can really push forward because of its stiffness. This really impressed me.
The wheels can go for 20.000Km or more, before you braked all through.
I always drive in the Alps, southern Germany. I think I have to change them in about 3000Km.
They brake very strong. They don't get warm that fast like carbon-wheels.
The saddle is very comfortable, even after 14 hours and 7000meters of altitude it was no problem.
It has a very stiff frame.

Well it's very heavy. I've got 2 bottle holder and look keo pedals and it weights about 9Kg. This is really heavy.
The Aluminium ( or is it only aluminium tape which they put on the frame) gets very fast mat.
Thebottom bracket gave up after 7000km.
It is very expensive to change because it's an special italian size you have to order in Italy.

But the most important con is the weight. More than 9Kg is to much.

It is a very good bike to start racing over long-distance. You can drive it the hole day-very comfortable.

But when you want to get better, you need an other bike, other wheels.

It is very expensive to repair because of all the special parts from Pinarello brother-companies like Onda, Most.

[Aug 28, 2012]
Stephen Outterbridge Sr.

OVERALL
Strength:

Tight and comfortable

none known

I have the combo aluminum and carbon fibre frame with the chores grouppo 2006

[Sep 08, 2008]
Carloss

OVERALL
Strength:

ONDA front and rear. Love the more classic shape of the Galileo and looks good. Rides stiff and light.

Real limited warranty. 2yrs. Probably doesn't need a longer warranty but would be nice piece of mind.
Ive read that the paint chips off easy. I found this 'kinda' true. The there are small chips appearing from general service etc HOWEVER when it fell over in the back of my van and frame smashed up against some shelving, there wasn't even a mark. Go figure.
Also read that the paint wears quick from the cables rubbing. I guess this is all fairly superficial. I stuck clear self adhesive rubber where the cables rub from new fixed the problem before it begun.

My first roady so I don't have much to go by other than how it feels. I love riding it. The finish it great. It feels great to ride and I haven't noticed any flex at all. I didn't spend a bunch of money to spec the bike up with all the best gear and carbon bars etc but the ONDA front and rear takes road vibes away anyway.
$2200 aus. Didn't cost the earth.

[Aug 19, 2007]
andy

OVERALL
Strength:

ride quality, looks good, price

Flex, paint, stock crankset, weight

its a decent bike. good price. i cant say much for the most components. yes they are heavy.

550 wheels are nothing to write home about, but they get the job done.

ultegra groupset is good. shifting is a bit loud. especially on the bottom 2 cogs (which are not ultegra cogs but some other brand)

honestly, the most compact crankset is crap. especially when combined with the fsa ultimax bb. i upgraded to the shimano r-700 compact cranks and bb which stiffened up the bike a bit.

the frame chips easy. very easy. i dropped an allen key on it while tightening the stem and it scratched it.

the frame is flexy, even with the new cranks. i can flex the bb in a sprint and always get the chain to rub on the fd. im no powerhouse either. it doesn't help that the biggest gear is a 50x13.

as for the good points.. it rides well. it has a light ride to it. looks good. handles really well. corners great.

hopefully the 2007 model is better.

giant ocr 2

[May 14, 2007]
nfosterma

OVERALL
Strength:

Great ride for the money. This bike works fine for this wannabe rider.

As stated by other posts, the stock MOSt parts are pretty basic and very heavy. Will require additional investment to replace some of the Pinarello parts.

Shimano wheelset held true for first 2,500 miles, and still work fine. Upgraded to DT Swiss wheels and saved over 350 grams from the stated weights.

I'm a recreational rider who was looking to get back into the sport after a long layoff. I went to the shop and told them what I was looking for and they recommended the Galileo and I have been very happy. I put 2,500 miles on last year, and have added another 750 miles so far this year. My bike rides smoothly and climbs well. I find it to be an overall really good bike. A little heavy though. As I have been able to save a little (and not impact my children's college savings), I have been placing my bike on a steady diet.

I did have problems with the bottom bracket, but that seems to be more of an issue with the Italian threads. The bike came stock with a traditional square spline bottom bracket. While on a 40 mile ride, I noticed that my front derailleur was not shifting well. I thought I would fix it when I got home. Thats when the fun started. My bottom bracket actually backed itself out from the non-drive side. There was no play in the cranks, so I didn't think there was a problem. The cranks ended up being pulled into the threads of the bottom bracket. After a trip to the shop for a tap and facing on the bottom bracket, I upgraded to FSA SL-K cranks and have never looked back.

[Mar 12, 2007]
Tom

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent handling. Sure footed cornering and overall handling.

HEAVY for a bike in price bracket.
You pay a little for the name and ONDA bits. Worth it. exclusive.

Really enjoyable bike to ride and really looks the part with the traditional frame and the carbon ONDA front and rear.
Bit put off by Shimano parts until I found I could get full chaneover to Campy at small charge. Bike is much better for it. Full credit to the Aust distributor and Glen Parker Cycles for their customer service.

Azzuri 105 setup

[Jan 14, 2007]
pina-gal

OVERALL
Strength:

(1) Good riding quality
(2) Excellent cornering
(3) Fast, but not as stiff as full carbon frames like paris.

(1) The whole stock bike is 9.5kg, not the stated 8.2kg on most sites.
(2)The MOst components are a joke. The stem rise is too much, seatpost is way too heavy(381grams!!), cranks look crude.

Got this galileo as my first road bike. Enjoying it a lot, spent more then 1000km on it already. It will make an excellent starting bike but a smarter buy will be the paris with better wheels and components. Nonetheless, it will bring lots of joy to your riding for years :)

[Jan 03, 2007]
Jeff Ramos

OVERALL
Strength:

Great riding frame, both climbing and downhill. Ultegra 10 works great. Paint job is amazing.

MOST componets aren't the greatest.

This is a great bike for the money. But fiqure on spending $1,000 on upgrades. The MOST Pinarello brand componets are cruddy, along with the Shimano wheels. I upgraded the stem and bars to FSA carbon. Wheels to Mavic SSC and the saddle. Now its a great frame - and a great overall bike. The bike as it ships is a little shy of being a great bike. Its an awesome value at $1,800 but some smart updades - its a high performance bike.

Next will be an FSA crankset.

Specialized Tarmac Expert with Ultegra.

[Nov 30, 2006]
screwdriver

OVERALL
Strength:

beautiful frame , excellent handling , great bike for decending , comfortable ride .

made in taiwan , a lil heavy when you pick the bike up but does not feel like heavy when riding . you have to ditch the seatpost , saddle coz they are very heavy

Galileo 105 - cant justify the ultegra version as i really want a campy so i got the 105 version and will wear it our and ill get a chorus 10 speed to replace the 105.
the bike looks awesome and the paint job is at par with bikes costing double or more.
it is very responsive , very comfortable , excellent handler , but a lil on the heavy side.
I have mixed opinions on the most components - i kept the bars and stem and the cranks - i have to let go of the seatpost as it is freaking heavy and the saddle was horrible .
im also trying to figure out if i like the compact cranks but so far i like it .
i have a spare wheelset - the neuvations but the stock shimano 550 are not that bad for training .
id say it is a lil on the expensive side but the bike is pretty solid and is made really well - the quality is really good and comparable to bikes costing a lot ..

2000 cannondale saeco edition with full dura ace .

[Jul 21, 2006]
rainguy

OVERALL
Strength:

Italian, beautiful, compact gearing, precise handling, comfort, stability, stand-out distinctive, fast

None. Absolutely none. For the same price as one more ho-hum Trek or Specialized, you get a ride that has the look of a Tour bike and more than decently spec'd.

This bike (2006 Galileo) hits the trifecta: Beauty, Performance, Dollar Value. I bought this bike because I've always wanted a Pinarello but, with a Bianchi XL EV2 and Cinelli Supercorsa already in the stable, couldn't convince myself (or my wife) to spend $5,000 or more on another bike. So for $2,200 I got a bike that has the look of a $5,000+ bike with the same carbon Onda fork and rear triangle found on the top-of-the-food chain Pinarellos. The deep, DEEP metallic blue, gloss black and white paint job on this bike is spectacular, an eye magnet on every ride I go on. More importantly, the 2006 Galileo is fast, super stable on descents, climbs well both in and out of the saddle, and is both nimble and comfortable. My other 2 bikes (Bianchi EV2 and Cinelli Supercorsa0 have Campy Record 10 and Chorus 10, respectively, but I have to say that the Ultegra 10 that comes with this bike shifts and brakes flawlessly; crisp, precise shifts and powerful, predictable braking. So far, none of the drive train noise alluded to in another review of this bike. I still am amazed that a bike that looks and performs like this, and one that stands out from the generic looks in this price range, can be had for just over $2-K. I'm having the same quandary as the rider/reviewer above in that, although I love my Bianchi which is still my "main" bike, I want to pull down the Pinarello nearly every day. It's that gorgeous and that much fun to ride. The only upgrade I made was putting on a set of Ksyrium SSC SLs. Not at light as my EV2, to which I'd still give a slight performance edge, but not heavy, either. I'd say 18.5 pounds as set up, but feels and rides lighter.

Bianch EV2 XL, Cinelli Supercorsa, Specialized Allez Elite