Raleigh USA Competition Road Bike

2006: Our C6 FT (Fusion Technology) carbon/aluminum frame features carbon fiber top and down tubes and carbon wishbone rear end mated to an Atomic 13 butted aluminum seat tube assembly. The result is a frame platform that provides exeptional stiffness and comfort. For racing, group and event rides, the Competition delivers performance beyond expectation.

• Easton EC70 Carbon w/Alloy Steer Tube
  • Shimano 105 10spd Shifters
  • Shimano 105 / Ultegra Derailleurs
  • Truvativ Elita A1 GXP Compact 36/50t Cranks

• USER REVIEWS

[Sep 12, 2008]
    Michale A Dearborn

OVERALL
    Strength:

Stiff, responsive, light when custom build. The wheels are great for heavier riders, the frame holds up well. Good value for the money.

For me...none.

I love this bike, I bought the frame on closeout and built it up with components I purchased by shopping around for deals. I've got it right at 16 pounds, not that I worry much about weight since I'm a bigger guy. This is probably the best bike I've owned, and I was able to build it to my own preference and save a couple of thousand dollars in the process. The ride is comfortable, but stiff enough for short sprints and out of the saddle climbs. I'm a big guy, 225-230lbs and the frame has never protested...EVER...!! The only thing I would have done differently would have been to get the EC90 Fork over the EC70, but besides a weight penalty it performs fine. The frame is the same as the Prestige and Team frame Raleigh used at the time, just the fork is different, so I am happy with that. On top of all that, I like the lines of the frame. I was hesitant about a frame made in China, but the quality, paint and workmanship is top notch, so I don't see anything to complain about an imported frame.

Trek 1500.

[Jun 09, 2008]
    Neal

OVERALL

As a beginning yet very committed rider, I have been thoroughly impressed with the 2006 Raleigh Competition bike. It's a very smooth ride with very acceptable components.

[May 08, 2008]
    gdogg16

OVERALL
    Strength:

Ultegra rear derailleur, 105 front derailleur, 105 shifters, easton ec70 fork, value, mavic aksium wheel set

Cheap Sram Elita crankset, heavy seat post, handlebars

Overall the bike is a steal for the price. I searched for a long time to find a bike that fit me (6'2", 200lbs) and had what I wanted, and I came across this bike at an amazing price. The bike rides very nice, climbs well, and is very quick. The Selle San Marco saddle is terrible, swapped it out for a Selle Italia SLR and my butt thanks me. The seat post is rather heavy and the handle bars a bit wide for my tastes. I've had to adjust the front 105 derailleur several times, the cable keeps loosening. Whomever taped the bars did a terrible job as the tape is loosening and needs to be redone. The Vittoria Zaffiro tires ride very nice and corner very well. Overall, the bike is a dream, and I couldn't be happier with it now that the saddle has been swapped.

Felt Z70, Lemond Tourmalet

[Mar 29, 2007]
    givemeyourshoes

OVERALL
    Strength:

Good mix between stiff and comfortable. Ultegra drive train, including brakes and rear cassette.

Wheels

I happen to be in the right place at the right time when I got this bike. I got it in Jan of 06, and they were clearing out the 05's. It was cheap, and I wanted something that was mostly carbon. It has a full ultegra drive train that works nicely (including ultegra breaks, cassette, and a 105 chaing I think) Anyhow, its smooth and fast. The handling is very nuetral, but good enough for mock races, and the bike is comfortable enough for long rides. I have upgraded the wheels though to Mavic SL's and it made a HUGE difference. I also put a shorter Specialized Stem on it, and I am in the process of changing out the stem, bars, and seat post to Ritchey WSC stuff cause its light and stiff. The cranks seem ok for now, but just like the rest of the bike (Minus the drive train) they will be upgraded too (prolly to ultegra cranks). Its a good bike stock, but I am really picky and have made (am going to make) a lot of changes to it. For the casual rider though its pefect. The new 2007 modle has a complete carbon frame (no more aluminum carbon mix) and is a good choice for anyone looking for a rec. bike.

Giant TCR 2 (2002 model), Trek 1500 (2003 model)

[Jan 27, 2007]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Good component value, Frame seems well made and finished even though it is built in Taiwan. Drivetrain is pretty solid, great front fork and the color grows on you

I wasn't a fan of the cranks included. I swapped them out for Ultegra 10sp. Fortunately the included shifters work for either double or triple setups.

Picked this model out of Raleigh's lineup because of the components for the dollar. Some people complain how the 2005 had Full ultegra, but the 2006/2007 have 10 speed 105 which I prefer over the old 9 speed. Rides great and has a good geometry for non-race riding, but works pretty decent for racing too.

Specialized Allez Comp & Elite

[Nov 05, 2006]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Value, ultegra rear derailer, light, smooth stiff ride

frame made in Tawain--as are a lot of frames. 105 front derailer-05 had all ultegra

I got a great deal on this bike on ebay. I have been riding a mountain bike for the past seven years and recently put road slicks on it and road a couple of century rides. I loved the speed of the road and had to get a road bike. I love this bike. It's fast, stiff, and comfortable. This bike is a great value.

1999 GT XCR4000 full suspension mountain bike

[Oct 22, 2006]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Carbon fusion technology makes for a great ride. Shimano Ultegra group is very smooth. Lighter than my previous bike by about 8-10 lbs.

Handlebars a bit wide for what I am used to.

A great bike for a great price. Nice step up from by previous bike. Glad to be able to find a bike locally.

Previous bike is a 1982 Bianchi, Columbus tubing, campy equipped. Looked at all local bikes in price range, most not equipped as well. Giant, specialized, etc.

[Aug 16, 2006]

OVERALL
    Strength:

frame set, Ultegra build...N.B. 2006 model uses 105/Ultegra mix (unfortunately), blue and carbon satin finish is stunning unless you like orange (2006).

Finish on frame is flawless, welds as nice as I have ever seen.

Use the money you saved to buy tires.

Not a race machine. Throw away carbon wrap seat post and rubbish seat clamp. Replace with real carbon post and campy clamp.

Raleigh is not a prestigeous name. Frame made in Tiawan (2 strikes for some.

2005 model - Smooth and solid bargain, buy it at close out price, full reliable Ultegra and a carbon/AL frameset that will please any club rider.

Giant TCR (lighter, faster, nimble cllimber)
    Cannondale CAAD (lighter, not as smooth)

[Jul 07, 2006]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Everything

I wish it had all Ultegra.

2006 Raleigh Competition, bought new. Sold my Orbea and went back to Raleigh. This bike is great, very stable and dont feel much flex when really trying to crank on her. Great Buy.

[Jun 20, 2006]

OVERALL
    Strength:

The carbon fork and integrated headset are very tasty.

Saddle ahs a seam which just doesn't work for me.

I am recently back on the bike after a five year tour in Alaska during which riding just wasn't very practical at all. I used to race MTB and tour on the road (RAGBRAI, century's and the like) so I was very excited to get back on the bike again. The bike has been a joy thus far. I was not going to get the bike if all I could find was the 2006 model, but a new 2005 made itself available. The 2005 is full ultegra and for me the blue color scheme is far preferable to the 2006 orange. I am riding with a crit rider, and have ahd no problem sticking his wheel when I am allowed to do so. The bike is stable, and OH so comfy when compared to the Redline cyclocross bike I have been riding for the past year.

Redline Cyclocross 2002 model