Salsa Cycles Campeon Dura Ace Road Bike

Campeon's lightweight Scandium frame. Carbon fork and Carbon seatstays challenge its gucci European-import competitors. The 10-speed Dura-Ace drivetrain delivers flawless power transmission. And its smooth ride and aggressive handling inspires speed, which in turn, invokes pleasure.

[Dec 15, 2010]
rsjgrant

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff, light, very well finished in terms of paint and clear coat. Takes new builds and external BBs very well; not a compact frame so no flex from seat-post. In terms of performance, its a high bang for buck ride, and in no way out of place in CAT 2 or 3 USCF racing. It handles criteriums and road races with equal success. There's no one thing it does well, just handles every situation with ease.

Not so sure of the long term durability of the internal HS; may opt to upgrade the fork at some point, but for now, no complaints. I suppose if you want to break the UCI weight limit, you'll look elsewhere, but I can get a race build down around 17lbs, so I'm not going to complain.

This is a solid, no-nonsense racing frame for those without the stomach for carbon fiber. The mid-2000 range of pre-compact Salsa Campeons are well built, dependable, stiff, responsive and forgiving enough for mileage training. You can get lighter and stiffer, but not at this price.
Climbs exceptionally well in and out of the saddle; tracks well in descents; corners like its on rails and never gives and indication of BB flex.

Cannondale 2.8; LeMond Maillot Jaune

[Apr 27, 2008]
takl23

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff frame. I think one of the best attributes is the way you can quickly power over short climbs. When you step on the gas you can feel the frame try to surge away from you, but is no way unstable. Descending is nothing but comfortable and nothing is unpredictable. I love the graphics on the frame as well!

None that I've found. Even the fork has a carbon steerer.

Purchased this bike to replace my Jamis Elite. This bike flat out flies. I parted my shimano 105 components from the Jamis, but have put an Ultegra front derail. and a Sram force cassette on a set of Fulcrum Racing 7's. Right now it weighs 19lbs, but getting down to 16lbs won't be a problem.

Jamis Elite, Look 595.

[Mar 21, 2007]
Meredith

OVERALL
Strength:

handling: descends and corners like nobody's business. climbing: vrrrrm! responsive: i go off like a rocket (and I'm not even really that fast of a rider.)

a bit too stiff for long rides (however, a guy I ran into at a race with the same bike said it's the most comfortable one he's ever owned-- go figure).
The Salsa seat post contraption is a bit too much for me to figure out.
I bought a small bike... and it came with 44cm handlebars (wtf?).
It didn't come with Salsa skewers, which would have made sense and completed the package nicely.

you know that scene in Pretty Woman when Julia Roberts instructs Richard Gere to tell his friends that his Maserati corners like it's on rails? Replace the Maserati for a Salsa, and you've got the same scene. Corners like it's on rails. The first time I rode this bike up a hill, I went so fast, I didn't know what to do with myself. In fact, the handling, acceleration abilities and climbing-like-a-monkey features of my Salsa are so amazing, that I'm straight up selling my Speacialized Roubaix that I bought as a backup training bike because it just wasn't as fun to ride as my Salsa. It spoiled me. The only downside-- the scandium is stiff (read: responsive) but it gets kind of annoying after 4 hours in the saddle to feel every bump in the road. but when we're talking about a fast, 18lb steed, I can deal. Oh, and the Ksyrium wheelset was a great finishing touch for the price.

Why doesn't Salsa market their full bikes more?!

Specialized Roubaix.