Salsa Cycles Casseroll Road Bike

• Frame: Salsa Classico CroMoly
  • Fork: Salsa Classico CroMoly
  • Headset: Standard 1-1/8"
  • Seatpost: 27.2mm
  • Rear Wheel Spacing: 130mm

[Apr 25, 2010]
John

OVERALL
Strength:

quiet, super fast, steel, brutally honest ride. perfect city bike.

no jet engine attached

i love this bike and you can transform it into anything. if you like to monkey around this is nice for that. forget cars

surly cross check

[Apr 18, 2010]
Pahana

OVERALL
Strength:

Ride,Looks and you can make this bike into anything you want.

The Casseroll is a super commuter bike.It's ride is first class and this is coming from someone who owns a custom steel Strong CX bike.I'm going to have to give the ride win to the Casseroll over the Strong.I'm riding 32mm speedmax on the Casseroll and 35mm speedmax on the Strong custom CX and the Casseroll is smoother.The Strong really shines off rode but on the ride is just good not great like the Casseroll.I'm riding the Casseroll with moustache bars and sti ultegra shifters works just great set up like this.Also put a Topeak rack and bag on it a the bike looks so cool you just want to ride it.Most of the parts came from a Giant roadbike I bought last summer that I upgraded to dura ace.So mostly it's a new bike.The frame and a few parts I needed came from CBO when they were running a 20% off sale so I only paid $300 for the frameset.I paid $1700 for the Strong frameset and yes there is a weight difference but not enought to make a real difference.The Strong weights 19lbs and the Casseroll 20lbs.The Casseroll is really not suppost to be an off rode bike but I'll try it out on some canal riding soon and see about the ride.

[Mar 23, 2010]
givemeyourshoes

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame is responsive, but has enough give to be comfy, drop outs allow for SS or geared set up, good stock parts selection for the price, smooth ride, and tracks well, paint / graphics get lots of attention.

A bit on the heavy side, but its steel and totally worth the trade off, a slight bit of toe overlap with fenders on, stock tires are to wide to run with fenders, 26 clamp on bar is a bit odd these days, but in silver its nice and matchy matchy

I purchased this bike to be my main commuter after selling my Specialized TriCross Sport (couldn't deal with that crap fork). I wanted a 1 x 9 set up, so I got the single speed and converted it (the frame color is way nicer I think). I rode it as a single speed for a while until I could afford the swap and it was pretty good. Salsa didn't really cut any corners on this build. Its smooth and responsive, with enough give in the frame to remain comfortable. Now that I have the 1 x 9 set up done, its even more amazing. I live on top of a large hill in SW Portland, OR and 9 speeds get me up it just fine. I couldn't ask for a better commuter bike.

Specialized TriCross Comp, Giant Bowery (2006), Specialized S-Works Allez, Raleigh Competition Full Carbon, Giant TCR2 Aluminum

[Jan 05, 2010]
Lee Widrig

OVERALL
Strength:

The frame sets up well for me just make sure you understand how Salsa measures their frames before purchasing.

None so far.....

Looking for a sturdy ride because I don't fit the typical rider body type I found the Casseroll to be priced well and certainly worth the money. I use it a lot when I don't want to get out my other road bike. The people at Direct Bicycle Parts went absolutely above and beyond the call to help me get the correct frame size and even went so far as to issue me a store credit when they listed a discount that I hadn't noticed until after my bike was already on it's way to me. I will definitely buy from them again! (My bike is actually newer than 2007 but the site didn't give me any more current year)

Specialized Langster

[Nov 12, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

The stock complete bike is a nice value. Pretty good looking bike especially with silver fenders. A good alternative to all the cross bikes if you have no intention of going off road.

Toe and brake clearance when running wide tires and full fenders. It's pretty tight up front with the 32's. Would have an even more classic look without the sloping top tube

Have been commuting and recreating on the Casseroll for a few months now and am really impressed with how versatile it is.

It works great for commuting with panniers over hills and in the rain but still feels sporty and fast when the panniers come off. I was looking for a solid commuter that still feels like a real road bike and that is exactly what it has been. It's fast enough to keep up with most of the weekend warriors on overpriced bikes.

Other Seattle commuters seem to prefer canti or disc breaks, which I don't think are compatible with this frame. I, however, am perfectly happy with the stock brakes even on wet descents (but I'm willing to slow down when its raining).

1983 Trek 560

[Sep 21, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

steel, steel, and more steel, relatively light for a steel frame/fork. with these changes I managed to get the bike to right at 20lbs.

rust if you don't treat your frame and fork

great riding bike right out of the box....I only ride steel.... components are ok, and bike seems to be great thus far. I changed out all the 105 components for ultegra, and dropped the cross-oriented wheels for some ksyruim elites

multiple steel mountain bikes....this is my first road bike

[Feb 05, 2008]
superjohnny

OVERALL
Strength:

Versatile, reasonably priced, comfortable, good looking.

The paint isn't the best and already is starting to get chips. If it stays in the stable for more than 2 years it will need to be painted. The welds aren't as clean as I've seen on other bikes, but probably about par with the competition at this price-point.

My Casseroll is a 2008 model, but that isn't an available option above. I bought the frame-set and components separately and have a limited amount of riding time on the bike, but I thought I'd give my initial impressions because they're fresh in my mind.

The first impression on the bike was how different it is from my current Surly Crosscheck (my basis for comparison). They're very different frames and therefore ride much differently. This is worth mentioning because I think a lot of people in the market for a commuter frame will be considering both.

Anyway 2 things stand out when compared to the Surly. First is how much the longer head tube affects the ride quality of the Salsa. It gives the bike a more upright riding position, even though I tried to set it up as close to the Surly as possible (seat height, fore & aft position, and bar height).

Second the Salsa it is much smoother over rough roads and terrain. This could be attributed to the different wheelset, but the Surly has 28mm tires compared to the Casseroll's 25's. With smaller tires the Salsa is still smoother. There are lots of other variables that could cause this, of course, but the ride quality of the Salsa did stand out. The Salsa is also quite a bit lighter, though I haven't put either bike on the scale.

Overall it is a very relaxed and comfortable bike and I think that is what Salsa was going for. It has rack & fender eyelets, which are always handy. With some tweaking you could make it more sporty, but this seems to me to go against the grain of what Salsa was going for when they created the Casseroll. You could also make it a single speed/fixie, a tourer, a commuter or just something to haul the kids around with. It is super versatile and I think that will appeal to a lot of people. Also worth noting is the lack of cantilever brake studs so no more tweaking your canti-brakes every 2 weeks.

Surly Crosscheck