Scott Foil Road Bike

[Aug 27, 2018]
Road7Star

OVERALL
Strength:

super fast and light

Misalign Rear triangle I bought a 2014 Scott Foil Team Edition at begin of 2015. It was super-fast and light. About 6 months ago I upgrade my rim to 25mm width rim with 25 mm tires. I notice right away that there was uneven gap between the rim and the chain stay for the drive side verses the non-drive side. I figured that the rear wheel was not dish correctly so I carried the bike to the bike shop to have the wheel re-dish. The mechanic informs me that the wheel was perfect and gave me another 25 mm width wheel that was also perfectly dish to try. Using feeler gauge, we notice that we had a 4 mm gap between the rim and the chain stay on the non-drive side and little more than 6mm gap between the rim and chain stay on the drive side. We even try flipping the wheel around where the cassette is on then non drive side to see if the anything change in the gap. There was no change in the gap. I saw one guy that had the same issue on an old forum board. I probably would not have notice this if I was still riding my 19 mm Cosmic Carbone wheel. From my research, this should be a symmetric frame. I contacted Scott and was informed that they would have to evaluate it to see if this is an issue. The guy from the warranty department basically says that if there is no rubbing on the frame there is no issue. I find it hard to comprehend because I used to wage war against the Chinese knock off for these misalignment issues and now I am being told to live with it. I will have my LBS give them a call and see if they will get a different response.

Price Paid:
$2500 4 Frame
Purchased:
New
[Aug 13, 2015]
Mike

OVERALL
Strength:

Acceleration and responsiveness. Light weight. Aero considerations.

Seat post slippage. Poor quality items such as crooked bottle cage bolts and very uneven joints where the rear triangle is bonded to the main frame.

No bike I've owned has frustrated me more. I owned two Foil Team Issue bikes. The first was replaced under warranty because of a seemingly small but constantly annoying thing. The bottle cage bolts were crooked in the frame and caused the seat tube bottle cage to be so off centre it rubbed my calf if I didn't consciously shift my knee outward. Back it went.

The replacement had the same issue but not to the same extent so I just accepted it. The seat post constantly slipped, despite friction paste and over torquing and I ended up with a 70mm strip on the rear of the post where the paint and carbon were scraped off from when the post first dropped into the frame. It slipped on literally every ride after this.

I then had an issue with the BB creaking with the DA 9000 crank and the shop couldn't sort it out. They offered to loctite the bearings in but I didn't think this was a sound plan for the long term.

The bike is an awesome performer in terms of acceleration. It's actually quite amazing in this respect. The frame is super stiff and punches over small climbs with ease. I used the 46mm Syncros wheels which came on the bike and felt the package gave a slight aero advantage (but who really knows?) The ride was fine in terms of road buzz but even small bumps delivered a kick to the balls.

I loved the uncompromising approach to pure performance but in the end the slipping seat post and creaking issues drove me bonkers and I sold the bike.

[May 15, 2015]
Philipp Gerber

OVERALL
Strength:

- Stiff
- Light
- Great wheel set (Mavic Cosmic Elite)

- SRAM Rival

I bought the 2012 Foil 30 (yellow) and have ridden it ever since. It's amazing how well it accelerates. It's so light and stiff.
I particularly like the wheels even though there might be stiffer and lighter products out there. The compact gearing is just right for where I live (Switzerland, hilly)
The SRAM Rival is ok but compared to the Shimano Ultegra I had before maybe not as smooth.
At just a bit above 7.6kg (with Time pedals) it's also fairly light.
It's a steal at CHF 2'800.- (USD 3'000.-) considering how much bike you get!

[Apr 11, 2014]
TheSnide

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight, fast, stock component mix is great. Rails corners, sprints great, climbs like a goat.

Uber stiff. I've gotten use to the stiffness, but it is one of the stiffest, and unforgiving bikes I've ever ridden. That translate into quick acceleration, and a chattery ride over the long haul. Super tight tolerances.

I have 2012 Foil 15 with Di2. Di2 is fantastic. The stock parts mix is great. I've got 4k miles on it and other than an issue with the BB (Scott Took Care Of It) the bike has been fantastic. This is a race bike. As such all of the tolerances are super tight. SKS race blade long fenders work but barely. Forget about any tire choice bigger than 24/25. Sizing is sport on. I'm 5'8" and the 54cm fits like a glove with all stock stuff.

[Dec 01, 2013]
SauronHimself

OVERALL
Strength:

Very light, strong, stiff, corners well, Di2 shifting is lightening fast.

The stock handlebars make it a little difficult to reach the brake levers while riding in the drops.

I own a 2012 Scott Foil 15 which I bought for clearance for only $2749 in November 2012, so I definitely got a great deal on it. I'm very impressed by the bike so far as it is quick to accelerate and has very quick shifting thanks to the Ultegra Di2 setup. While intended to be more of a racing bike, it is still suitable for long rides and absorbs road vibrations adequately. I replaced the stock Mavic Cosmic Elites with ROL Race SL wheels, and when those got damaged in a crash with a drunk driver, I replaced them with November Rail 52s. Overall, the bike is extremely enjoyable and never dull to ride.

[Apr 02, 2013]
Sandy

OVERALL
Strength:

Handles the bumps great! Picked up nearly 3 mph on my rides!

None so far.

This is for the Foil 40, the stock Syncros wheels were fine, put my Record group on it with race lite 2 wheels and Vittoria tires, and wow. I was a bit concerned that it would be a harsh ride, but it sort of floats over bumps vs mucking through them like my LOOK. So far so good!