Specialized Allez Triple Road Bike

• A1 Premium Aluminum, double-butted tubing, compact road geometry frame
  • Specialized carbon fork, carbon fiber legs with Cr-Mo steerer
  • Body Geometry Bar Phat cork ribbon with 2.5mm gel padding
  • Shimano Sora/Tiagra drivetrain
  • Specialized carbon fiber wrap seat post

• USER REVIEWS

[Sep 21, 2016]
    Ian

OVERALL
    Strength:

Performance, Quality, and Maintenance

The Specialized Allez bicycle is a well-made product designed for relatively fast road rides. Riders interested in long distance riding, or entry level competitive racing would benefit from this bike. The smooth performance, quality components, and easy maintenance are the three main reasons I have enjoyed owning and riding this bike.

I have owned a Specialized Allez road bike for the past 5 years, and it has been my only road bike. My riding distances average 25 miles, my longest distance was 51 miles, and my total distance is around 5000 miles. I have competed in official USA Cycling races. For serious competitive races, most bikes are over $1000. In my experience, the $700 Specialized Allez is able to keep up with the more expensive road bikes in entry-level to mid-level competitive races.

The performance, quality, and maintenance makes the Specialized Allez stand out. The performance includes how responsive the shifting, pedaling, and speed impacts the rider. The shifting and pedaling performance allows me to ride smoothly for over 20 miles without unnecessary pain or exhaustion. With steep downhills, I have experienced over 30 mph without pedaling. With the potential for high speeds, the brakes are also durable enough to quickly slow down.

The quality of the bike includes the durability of the bike components. The Specialized Allez consists of a carbon fiber seat post and front fork, which is an expensive material not usually found on bikes less than $1000. The durable derailleur allows smooth and instant gear shifts. When I crashed two years ago, the bike pedal broke on impact, however pedals are relatively inexpensive and easily replaceable. Besides the broken pedal, I have had no issues with the bike components or quality of the bike.

Finally, the maintenance of the bike includes the ease of use to solve routine fixes to the bike. For example, the quick release bike wheels allows me to replace flat tires much easier than traditional wheels. Since the Specialized Allez has been a popular model over the years, fixing and replacing bike components are readily available and therefore cheaper than high end bikes.

The Specialized Allez is a great bike for its quality and value. I plan on riding my specialized road bike for many more years to come.

[Sep 11, 2012]
    Roger

OVERALL
    Strength:

Light, fast, and very responsive. Best value for its price range.

Front derailer is hard to sync in the middle gear. Brakes are pretty weak as well.

I bought the bike on Ebay for cheap and have never looked back. Can keep up with the carbons and way more expensive bikes like nothing. I make enemies when I mention how much it cost me. ha!

Mosty rode mountain until I got this bike.

[Apr 18, 2012]
    dasmith

OVERALL
    Strength:

great responsiveness to handling great ride very comfortable for riding around and racing

wheelset

great bike overall. upgraded the 8spd sora to old school 7 spd ultegra and dropped the triple for a compact crankset lost alot of dead weight that i didnt need in crits and road races. the bars were nice as well but upgraded to classic champion bars upgraded the wheels to ambrosio elite clinchers. its a great feeling bike on the road although i prefer steel frames with the vintage style. the bike is def. worth the money and gets better as its upgraded.

[Dec 15, 2010]
    Gordon Snapp

OVERALL
    Strength:

Light, agile, fast, very comfortable.

This has been a great bike for me. I bought it as a frame and fork only off Ebay. I built it up with various components. 105 triple crankset, ultegra derailleurs, ultegra STI brifters, Nashbar wing handlebars, Nashbar carbon seatpost, Brooks B17 saddle, Shimano 520 SPD pedals, Mavic Open Pro 32-spoke rims, that's all I remember.

I have a Surly LHT touring bike, a Specialized Rockhopper mountain bike, and and old Specialized Stumpjumper "shopping bike."

[Jun 15, 2010]
    zed666

OVERALL
    Strength:

durability, ease of shifting, climbing

stock saddle is uncomfortable, thumb shifters unreachable from the drop bars

i got this bike because it was on sale at the time and i really wanted a bike. it turned out to be a very good deal for me, if slightly too big. a couple thousand miles later, i'm replacing it because i just can't stand to ride a wrong-sized bike any more, but that aside, it's been an excellent bike for doing 30-80 miles rides. i haven't had to do much of anything to the bike aside from regular maintenance.

[Feb 01, 2010]
    jeff240v

OVERALL
    Strength:

Light fast bike, climbs well, easy to transition from my touring bike to this road bike. Very good comfort for a road bike.

Wheels have shallow engagement with the tire bead, rolled a set of conti 4000's off. suggest wire on tires, not fabric beads. Carbon seat post did not have good engagement for position, replaced.

Used Specialized Allez elite triple, 54 cm, for faster club rides, usually i'm a touring guy. Have not ridden road bikes for years, the carbon fork soaks up the road vibrations nicely. Fit's well, usually I ride a 52cm.

Schwinn traveler 1990 and early Trek Ishwatta 022 racing bike.

[Dec 15, 2009]

OVERALL
    Strength:

A great value.A very fast bike for those of us who need a little help keeping up with the younger guys and gals.Cool carbon parts.

If you buy it used spend some extra time inspecting every inch of the frame for cracks.There a VERY few welders who can repair these frames well enough to make them safe to ride agian.

This bike brings a lot of bang for the buck.Its hard to understand a bad review with such an inexpensive price point.One very important consideration is the slightly fragile frame.There is a trade off for the light weight.The reason I got such a good deal is because the head tube was cracked in three places.I was shown this up front and am fortunately friends with the best TIG welder in Nashville(he practices on beer cans).I feel this bike was abused a little so don't let my frame scare you away from this bike.It will be repaired by this weekend and I'll ride it with no concerns.

[Sep 18, 2009]
    eplanajr

OVERALL
    Strength:

Price, Frame, good looks. I can ride this bike comfortably for a long time.

The stock shifters and derailleurs are slow and erratic. But for the price of the bike its not a complaint. If I were to change one thing, it would be the brake pads. The stock ones are useless.

2009 Allez Triple

I got this bike for my start into triathlons. This bike has been AWESOME. I replaced the stock Sora/Tiagra stuff with Ultegra and now this bike is a sweet sweet machine. I really enjoy riding the bike and can't wait to log some more miles and memories on it.

[Jul 19, 2009]

OVERALL
    Strength:

CHEAP! Light, Fast, Rack Mounts, Comfortable, Upgradeable,

The thumb shifter cannot be accessed from the drop position.

2010 Allez Sport Triple. Sora & Tiagra

Brand new, Now with 100 miles on it.

I read on here that I should stay away from the lower end components. For the price this bike is great.

Just finished a sprint triathlon and this bike rocks! I had a 12 year old top of the line S-works and this compares. Not as light, components not as nice, but overall a better buy. For the price you cannot beat it. Mounts for a rear rack, I can commute all week, ride a century or tri on the weekend. I looked at a more expensive bike but this will do. If you are a serious rider it is not for you but great entry level bike.

[Jul 13, 2009]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Great bike for the price. Light weight compared to my old bike.

The brakes are a little soft, but once you get use to them they are fine. Really for the price, I have no complaints.

Bought this bike last week and it is a dream. It came down to this bike and a Trek 1.2. After riding both the Specialized really blew the Trek away. A much better ride one compared to the other. Plus the Specialized was better equiped for the same price.