Time Edge First Road Bike

• Aluminum bottom bracket shell
  • EDGE carbon composite tubes
  • EDGE carbon wishbone
  • EDGE carbon chainstays
  • Carbon fork with aluminum steertube
  • TIME headset
  • Uses 27.2mm seatpost (OPTIONAL from TIME)
  • Frame weight: 1130 grams
  • Weight of frame, fork and headset: 1730grams

• USER REVIEWS

[Jul 16, 2008]
    rubbertoes

OVERALL
    Strength:

Ride quality, decent weight, nice graphics, aluminum fork tube has none of the overload concerns of carbon with a small weight penalty.

Creak at seat post collar. It's been fixed but was a real bugger.

I was looking for a frame to replace a twelve year old Kestrel which had a great ride quality, or so I thought. The Kestrel's carbon monocoque over foamcore contruction gives one of the most comfortable rides ever made. I wanted a taller head tube and a stiffer (torsionally) bottom bracket to improve climbing and position. The Time Edge addresses every concern I had and then some. The cornering is superb. I lose so much less energy through the turns because of the way it transitions out of the corners. The fit is as good as custom for me. With a mix of 2006 Record and Chorus and Zonda Wheels it is about 16.8 to 17 lbs in a large (57). The look is conventional to old school until you look closely at the tubes. The tube sections are kind of like oval sections at ninety degrees to each other that intersect in the middle. Time is one of the few companies that makes it's own carbon material. This allows them to mix Vectran fibres in certain areas to make the ride more supple while retaining stiffness where needed. I'd like someday to ride one of the VXRS models to compare but it would take a lot to justify the increase in cost. I got a great deal with full warranty direct from Time USA.

Kestrel 200sci, Lemond Chambery, Bob Jackson 531, Kestrel Evoke & RT700 & Talon, Trek Madone, Colnago Dream

[Dec 22, 2007]
    acid_rider

OVERALL
    Strength:

A 73 degree STA is 0.5-1.0 degrees is more relaxed than most frames of that size. Great ride quality. Modern looking yet old-school with not too much top tube slope which I like. Decent head tube height for those of us less flexible. Less common that most other road bikes that I see. Standard and common 27.2mm seatpost size allows for set-back flexibility. Conventional seatpost (not Translink!) is a big bonus. I don't like integrated seat-posts and wont buy a bike with Translink-style seatpost.

more expensive than many other carbon bikes. Hence 4-stars in value due to high price but 5-stars overall rating.

Excellent bike, so good that I fail to see much point buying any more expensive Time modules unless you are Elite/Cat-1 rider or you weigh a tonne and need something stiffer to carry your weight. I weigh ~70kg, ~173.5cm tall, ride Time size = Small (53cm, 54cm top tube). I waited for 1 year before posting review. I have ridden 8000km so far on this bike and hope to ride many more before I get a new one. Will consider Time again, on my buyer shortlist.

Specialized Roubaix Comp 2005 (stolen, was a great bike), 2006 Trek Madone 5.9 110 OCLV (still own it, head tube much too short and STA a bit too steep otherwise a great bike).