Trek 1000 Road Bike

Headset: 1 1/8" threadless Aheadset
Front Der: Shimano Sora Triple
Crankset: Bontrager Sport, 30/42/52 teeth
Rear Der: Shimano Sora GS
Pedals: aluminum cage w/clips & straps
Tires: 700 x 25c Bontrager Select

[May 11, 2019]
MattRoth2019

OVERALL
Strength:

This was my brother's first training bike when he began racing. It was handed off to me and I used it as a commuter class in Syracuse NY, commuting every day of the winter, snow and all. The chain regularly dripped rust when it thawed inside my apartment despite my best efforts to keep it lubed. Headset bearings totally rusted out twice and replaced. It then turned into my off road bike with 30mm knobby tires, getting battered over rough roads in Colorado like Engineer pass. This bike can handle anything and I love it. Original derailers, shifters, and brakes are still working like a charm and I can't remember the last time I adjusted anything! Orange paint scheme is a classic.

Not going to win any bike races as it's a cheaper aluminum frame.

2004
[Mar 30, 2019]
JnRyan

OVERALL
Strength:

Not a light weight performance bike, but it is a solid bike. I've had mine for over 25 years and who knows how many miles. I've taken it out of town on centuries and ridden the mountains with it. It doesn't have the original components anymore having been upgraded about 20 years ago from Sun Tour to Shimano RSX. I'm on my 4th saddle and probably my 3rd set of wheels. The frame is still rolling though. I would rate it and the Specialized Allez as the 2 best bikes for those starting out in road cycling.

The components are not top of the line or even close and the bike is heavy. You're not going to be doing many races on this bike. But I bought this bike for under $400 new so I didn't expect a bike that would be used in the Tour de France.

$375.00
New
1991
[Oct 27, 2018]
tomm80

OVERALL
Strength:

Great bike. Come to Nairobi and look for Brent Aviation and they can take you to the safari country with your bike for testing. www.brentaviation.co.ke for more details. You will not be disappointed

None that come to mind as compared to others

[Sep 08, 2018]
almoslih

OVERALL
Strength:

I am the 3rd owner. Bought after 10 years of use. It's been a year with me and I love it!

Not yet known

2007
[Dec 04, 2015]
C

OVERALL
Strength:

It is nice and light! I bought it used but it's lighter than my Cannondale.

I don't like the where the shifters are located. I'd rather have them by the handlebars.

I really like it though and think I will get used to the shifters.

[Dec 04, 2015]
Marcin

OVERALL
Strength:

Amazing frameset - strong and durable, still competitive with new tech alu bikes

A little heavy (8.3 kg with Easton EC90 cockpit, Quattros and 6800 Ultegra)

(I am Polish so sorry for my mistakes)
I had many carbon bikes but i still got this one since 2007. In 2009 i equipped this frame with 7700 Dura Ace groupset and mavic wheels. Right now i still ride this bike but with Fulcrum Quattro LG and 6800 Ultegra. The geometry is amazing. Frame is stiff so still the bike is competitive in sprints in local races. The ride quality is OK, but mostly due to my upgrades (Easton EC90 handlebar, steam and seatpost and 25mm tires on wide rims) After all this years i decided to sell all other (newer and lighter) carbon road bikes, because this is The ONE :D
Tottaly worth its price back then.

[Sep 24, 2014]
beepover

OVERALL
Strength:

First Road Bike, bought in 2005. Still going strong, 2014... Just routine maintenance. Left a review here years ago.

Wheelset, changed out to supergo years ago and been fine ever since. Great first road bike.

I believe the model now is a Trek 1.1...Great buy, reliable. No its not carbon, hence you don't have to baby it...

[Nov 01, 2013]
John Beasley

OVERALL
Strength:

frame and geometry are great, solid, no flexing, fits perfect, rather light weight. The group on it was Sora Tiegra. I took it all off and put Shimano 105 group, 9 speed, triple, Campanolo Record chain, upgraded the rims to Rigida racing 2000, with 105 hubs, Union - BMW spokes. The bike rides like a dream. I like riding it better than my Carbon Trek 5200, but the 5200 has Campanolo Chorus Gruppo, which is flawless- like a Mercedes compared to the 105, which is like a sewing machine. This is an excellent frame and fork, the the Crane Creek headset on mine is outstanding

Not as light as carbon. Low cost of this bike makes it unlikely to get high end components. Trek seems to provide better than average frames and lower than average (for the money) components, so more than likely you will want to upgrade as much as possible.

Great bike for the money. Solid, dependable, great to ride long distances, I ride 50 miles each Sunday.

[Aug 05, 2013]
Pre

OVERALL
Strength:

Good all around bike

Probably would shift smoother w/ a double instead of a triple, almost not worth mentioning

Purchased bike fully decked out at pawn shop cyclometer,rack,fenders,pump Spd pedals etc. I bought this bike to ride from Seattle to Portland on. No issues. This bike may not win u the tour de france but it sure will make u feel like it. Great commuter & road training bike. Put well over 1000 miles on this bike. Defiantly a keeper.

[Jun 19, 2013]
Graham

OVERALL
Strength:

I have had a trek 1000 for @ 15yrs, I have used this special bike in all weathers, it has exceeded everything i want in a bike, in fact i would not swap it for anything. It is perfectly balanced goes like a dream, to be honest it is my mate, pure trust.

NONE

I would advise anyone to invest in a Trek 1000, i can guarantee you will be more than happy. Don't hesitate if you have the chance to purchase one, get in there you will never regret it.