Trek 1200 Road Bike

Headset: 1 1/8" threadless Aheadset
Front Der: Shimano Tiagra
Crankset: Bontrager Sport, 30/42/52 teeth
Rear Der: Shimano 105 GS
Pedals: aluminum cage w/clips & straps
Tires: 700 x 25c Bontrager Select

[Sep 17, 2012]
Chris Priest

OVERALL
Strength:

Very stable and reliable bike. I commute daily 8 miles and use it for leisure on 20-60 mile cycles in the peak district on my days off. Easy to maintain and clean. Found it very easy to adjust when I first got it.

Nothing really. It's 6 years old now and still going strong. Just minor part replacement like the bottom bracket after a lot of miles as is expected with any bike

Very good first bike! Got me addicted to cycling and saved a fortune on fuel!
Recently completed 165mile coast to coast ride. Very happy with it!

[Jun 19, 2012]
Tyler

OVERALL
Strength:

super durable bike. I bought it as my first bike back in 2004 and did a few minor upgrades to the gears but nothing major. I rode it everyday for at least 40 miles and more while I was injured with a stress fractures in HS. I am a serious runner who's been out with a very bad back injury and I use my bike to help me transition back into hard training. It's very comfortable to ride for hours and my back never gets sore.

None.

best investment for runners who are looking to cross train like myself or people serious about their first bike being a quality one that will last a long time.

[Jul 28, 2011]
Jeremy

Is this legit?

The bike is a 2005 model. It has significant miles, but was well maintained and sheltered. The petals are Look-type Shimano 105. The petals show wear, but function as new. The bike has a few dings, but nothing detrimental to the expected performance. Thus the asking price of only $250. The front tire is practically new, the rear tire shows some wear, but probably good for several hundred miles.

The wheels are Bontrager Select. There is one dent on the top tube, but hardly visible. No paint removed or deep scratch. You probably would not notice it unless I pointed it out.

[Sep 07, 2009]
Johnnythree

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame and fork. Personally I am surprised at how well they have stood up so far. No issues with Shifters/levers. I even liked the stock seat.

FD- upgrade it. RD is just starting to be problematic after 4000 miles of Philly punishment:) Stock wheelset/tires were not suitible for constant abuse on city streets, but for road riding I dont think they would be considered a total weakness.

Bought this bike used at a swap. Have ridden it for 8 months or so commuting in Philadelphia on average 25 miles a day. Lots of stops and starts, bumpy roads,potholes. Generally a harsh enviroment for a road bike.This bike is fast, agile and with my upgrades and switches, durable. I dont like this 2006 colorscheme... but I would reccomend this bike. After the 3rd month or so I fell in love and even named her- at first she seemed really conservative, but in time has proven she is tough, fast, and versatile:)Pacing traffic at 25-35mph... bombing hills reaching 55+mph.. Ihave learned to trust this bike performance with minimal headaches.
I would love to take a cross country trip on this bike- but I am unsure if I can find a alum or steel fork for the load versus the stock carbon... Maybe we will get married in Vegas...

Masi Vincere 58cm, Giant OCR1 lg, IRO HD track, Trek 1000.

[Jul 27, 2009]
rednav

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame and fork. Complete bike for under a "G". Stiff ride - no power loss.

Parts spec not the greatest- but can easily be upgraded as needed and as budget allows.

Review is for 2004 (not on list for some reason). I have ridden this bike for 5 years. It was my first road bike and was an exceptional purchase. The frame is of very high quality- 2.5 pounds and very stiff. The low points of the bike are the components, but these are easily upgradable as one's budget allows. This bike is not originally intended for racing, but can easily be converted to by swapping out the components. I have weighed anywhere from 210 to 240 lbs riding this bike and have never thought it to be "flexy"- my steel commuter bike on the other hand is flexy. This is a great starter bike. I know own two road bikes and two mountain bikes and the trek is my "club ride/friend ride/charity ride bike". If you're getting into road riding with long term ambitions, this is a high quality machine worth the investment.

Surly CrossCheck. Cannondale hardtail mtb. Raleigh XXIX single speed.

[May 15, 2009]
john conner

OVERALL
Strength:

Wheels are pothole proof & the frame is very strong and stiff. They've been great for a guy who weighs 225.

Shifters are low on the frame. But that can be changed.

It's been great! I ride maybe 35 miles per week with hills. Sometimes twice/wk. The weels and frame have stayed true. Shimano 105's are still sharp. I can't say anything bad about the bike.

[May 09, 2009]
Milton

OVERALL
Strength:

105s rear derailleur
Wheels stayed trued
STI shifters
Good skewers, I moved them on my newer bike because they were more simple and lighter.
Carbon seat post and fork

LATERAL MOVEMENT on the frame
Cheap break calipers

When i first got it, it looked great. Very nice bike. Over time, it started to look uglier and uglier. (Ride quality)
The BIGGEST problem I see is lateral movement on the frame. When I'm on my trainer, I see ALOT of lateral movement. This is not good at all because you are loosing alot of the power.

I find that it was a good deal for a while, but it was not a keeper.

[Dec 10, 2008]
Milton C

OVERALL
Strength:

Carbon seat post and fork. Which made the ride more stiffer. It climbs very well, i can tackle 15Mile hills no problem.

Front derailleur, and shifting.

I've read the reviews, and some of them are true. The front derailleur keeps falling. It annoyed my so much because when it keeps falling, eventually it started to grind on my chain.

Nothing would be similar.

[Oct 07, 2008]
Mike

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, decent components, decent weight, good all around bike

If you decide to start racing, you might aim for something a little lighter, but if you're a serious rider and just having fun, this is a great bike.

The Trek 1200 is a sweet bike for anybody getting into road biking. The components aren't top of the line, but don't suck either. If you decide to get serious, you can always upgrade these, but the frame is solid. The wheels on mine were bomb-proof, and the only thing I upgraded was the pedals.

I put 4,500 miles on mine before getting t-boned by a drunk driver who ran a red light. I was lucky to walk way from the accident, but my bike was not.

This is the only road bike i've ever owned, i'm sorry to see it go.

I also ride a kona mtn bike.

[Sep 28, 2008]
Jon

OVERALL
Strength:

Affordable price tag

poor quality components and a great deal of flex through the frame.

I purchased this bike wanting to give a local triathlon a go for the first time and it was great for getting me into the sport. After one winter of solid training on the bike it is falling to pieces. Great for the casual cyclist but not for anything more than that.