Trek Checkpoint SL Road Bike

500 Series OCLV Carbon, Stranglehold dropouts, tapered head tube, BB90, flat mount disc brakes, rack mounts, Control Freak, thru axle, 3S chain keeper, Ride Tuned seatmast Frame.

Available Models:

• Checkpoint SL 6
  • Checkpoint SL 5

[Aug 04, 2018]
Paul100

OVERALL
Strength:

I LOVE this bike! I bought the bike because I wanted something a bit faster than my Trek 8000 hardtail mountain bike. I also liked the fact that it allowed for a wider tire...up to a 45mm. It was the perfect bike to ride the 335 mile C&O Towpath and the GAP trails between Washington, DC and Pittsburgh. The Checkpoint SL 6 comes with Schwalbe G-One 35mm tires. I have replaced the back tire with a 38mm G-One tire. These tires are fast on asphalt, dirt and gravel roads. I would stick with my mountain bike for more technical trails. I now prefer to ride this bike over my road bike..the larger tires and IsoSpeed decoupler make for a MUCH more comfortable ride. Another strength of the Checkpoint SL 6 is the fact that it has all Shimano Ultegra components...very smooth and reliable. The Shimano Ultegra disc brakes worked like a charm during my 335 miles adventure on the C&O/GAP trails...even though there was plenty of water and mud on the trail. The Checkpoint SL 6 has a carbon fiber frame. I appreciate the fact that Trek included a carbon "Armor" protective shield on the down tube and chain stay to protect the frame from debris when riding in off-road conditions. I added a SKS board front road bicycle fender to the front fork for even more protection. The all black color of this bike looks awesome. I have had a lot of people comment on how sweet this bike looks. Finally, this bike includes a lot of mounts for water bottles and rear/front racks that can carry panniers for that multi-day bike trip one may want to take. I carried two water bottles and a rear rack with 2 panniers on my DC to Pittsburgh trip. I have ridden this bike over 800 miles in the last two months. Even though I spent a bit more than i originally wanted to, I am very happy that I made the decision to purchase the Checkpoint SL6. This is the 7th bike I have in my stable and by far, it is my favorite!

No have found no weaknesses for this bike yet. I did replace the saddle with my favorite Terry Fly TI Gel saddle.

Price Paid:
$3,800.00
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2019

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.