Trek Emonda Road Bike

Every detail of the Émonda line, from frame design to each component choice on every model, serves the same audacious goal: to create the lightest line of production road bikes ever offered. The entire Émonda line is unbelievably light, with sensational ride-tuned balance and handling that elevate Trek ride performance to a whole new level.

[Jul 19, 2020]
mdemey

OVERALL
Strength:

2021 emonda SL 6 pro vs SLR 7 I bought the SL 6 pro, and rode it for a couple weeks. Then I had second thoughts and I tested them back to back on the Los Gatos creek trail (CA) first (2.5 mi out then back on each), then I came back the next day and took just the SLR to hwy 9 in Saratoga where I went 4mi up and 4 down. These are my thoughts. The sl was great but heavy. The slr 7 was magic. The slr only really shines when I was climbing longer than .25 miles. Prior to that, the aerodynamics and momentum made it carry in a similar way to the sl. But when the SLR was great, it was more vibrant and spritely than anything I’ve ever ridden. Neither bike would rub anything when you stand up and sprint. I got the impression the ride quality of the slr was more harsh than the sl, but that may have been tire pressure. I did not verify they were the same. I could get the slr to lurch forward while seated, spinning cranks with both feet easier, where as the sl, I found myself standing and pulling in order to punch up and move over a hill once the momentum ran out. Again, weight. At about a 4-5% grade, if I’m usually doing 11 on my cervelo, now I was doing 12.4. At a 7% grade if I was doing 8, now I was doing around 9.6. But this was only on a 4 mile climb where the first half was like 5% and the second was 7-8%. And I was pretty stoked, so maybe I was pushing harder than usual. Descending, neither impressed. On the sl, my fastest going down -7% was 42.2 mph, on the slr it was 43.1. Mind, on my 2013 cervelo r3 with exposed mechanical cables but HED jet 5 wheels (55mm deep) I can consistently hit 45.5 mph. On shallower grades at around -5% the SLR was doing 28.5mph where I was closer to 30 on my cervelo with hed wheels. So claims that the new Aeolus pro 37 (and RSL 37 shape for that matter) are about as good as 45mm deep Zipp 303’s I find questionable. The ride quality was terrific. The only time I felt less than comfortable was if I was going down through an underpass at 30+ mph, over lots of cracks. Then it bounced pretty hard. But I did ride 50 miles on the SL and I didn’t wish it was cushier. I did do a 50 mile ride on the sl. The weight in the wheels didn’t bother me for the first 20 miles, the next 10 were ambiguous, but the last 20, I did find it hard to get back up to speed and take advantage of that aero in the event I had to slow down for a turn or a stop light or a gust of wind. In th

See post above

Price Paid:
2021
[Mar 08, 2020]
jeffbozo

OVERALL
Strength:

Lots of people around me ride the Domane, and while the idea of that was nice, I really liked the more traditional frame design of the Emonda. The seat mast on the SL and SLR models definitely aids in comfort, but doesn't have the same bobbing effect of the Domane with the decoupler. Addditionally, the lower headtube allows for a more agressive position for race-day or fast flat riding, or a more upright position for longer days in the saddle.

Used
[Oct 12, 2018]
kenglish

OVERALL
Strength:

Great light weight all purpose road bike and not just a climber. Handles all types of roads and has been stable over 50 mph. It is just straight up fun to ride even after 100 miles in the saddle.

People complain about the wheelset but I got two sets with mine. I wanted the SL6 pro but it didn't come in red so they sold me the SL6 with the carbon wheels from the pro plus threw in the aluminum wheels for an extra $150. Love the carbon but honestly the aluminum have been worth every penny as spares. I use them on rides with steep descents and have no issues. Bottom line is this was the only bike out of more then 12 that made me want to dump my 25 year old carbon bike with shimano 600.

Price Paid:
2018
[Sep 16, 2018]
JnRyan

OVERALL
Strength:

Very much like the older Madones of 2009-2011 in performance and handling. Performance is outstanding and ride is great.

This frame was a replacement for an older Madone 5.2 that did not hold up and a manufacturers defect was eventually noted by the bike shop. So far the bottom bracket does not seem to be the HIGHLY sensitive and maintenance intensive BB of my past Madone. Still if you are ever caught out in the rain or even do a ride on wet road, plan on removing the BB as soon as possible as water enters it very easily and the bearings will be gone in short order. If you're not caught out in the rain or you ride only dry roads, plan on overhauling and replacing bearings about twice a year. The headset, unfortunately, doesn't appear to be as durable a design as my older Madone and the design on the Madone was poor to start with. Plan on overhauling it once or twice a year and replace at least the upper bearing, if not both, each time. Again, if you are caught in the rain headset will have to be disassembled and regreased. When washing my bike I've learned to avoid washing this area and instead clean it with bike cleaner or polish applied to rag and wipe it down. I don't know whether it is the bike design or the Shimano components but the cable don't last near as long as my previous bikes. But these same components came over from my other bike.

2016
[Aug 06, 2019]
coondogger

OVERALL
Strength:

Bike is light and nimble without being squirrely. Excels on hills even with the 34:28 gearing it comes standard with. Feels very stable on fast downhills. I’ve road on smooth roads, pitted roads, and even a half mile of gravel on my first ride on this bike. For the price, I’m more than impressed. Update: 10 months later. This bike has been constantly in the shop. The front shifter has been a nightmare. The original one failed and was replaced under warranty. Two weeks in the shop. The replacement has had chronic problems and has made rides miserable. The cheap cable guard under the bottom bracket fell off during a ride; bike has been in the shop for eight days and counting, waiting for the part from Shimano. I've been riding my fifteen year old Specialized Roubaix (whch is far more reliable than the Emonda) while the emonda the shop and wondering why the hell I didn't just get another Specialized. Bottom line: frame is good. Shimano sucks. And given my experience with this bike, I really can't recommend it to anyone else. New rating: two stars for the frame.

I wouldn’t consider this a weakness, but the bike would be improved by better wheels, and a 34T cog on the rear cassette. Love this bike.

2019
[Sep 26, 2016]
Alex

OVERALL
Strength:

1. Great lightweight climber
2. Superb ride comfort, especially on 25c rubber
3. H2 Geometry works great for me
4. Confidence inspiring handling

1. Wheelset is a weak spot, to be expected at this price-point
2. Saddle was terrible for me, my friend has the same one on his Domane 5.2 and likes it
3. Handlebars are meh, the variable radius is not something I like, and I feel cramped in the drops. Will change them out though, this is a personal thing, not really a fault of the bike

This review is for a 2016 TREK Emonda SL6, so not quite the $15,000 SLR10, but a mere mortal $3,000.

I've ridden this bike around 700 miles so far, and have been pleased.The 500 series carbon hits what many believe to be the sweet spot for weight/stiffness/cost, between the S and SLR models.

The full 6800 Ultegra grouppo works as you'd expect and has needed only minor adjustments to account for initial cable stretch

I would not hesitate to recommend this bike to anyone.