Trek Madone 5.2 Road Bike

• Shimano Ultegra Rear Derailleur

[Sep 16, 2018]
JnRyan

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent handling bike that rolls with very little road buzz.

This bike is extremely maintenance intensive due to design flaws in the bottom bracket and headset. It is worse than owning a Porsche or a British sports car and I've owned both and worked on both. You're looking at overhauling the BB at 500-750 mile intervals and replacing the non-drive side bearing at the least. This bike had so many overhauls over 13K miles that even the oversize bearings were too loose a fit. You're looking at 1500-1800 mile interval for the headset and replacing the upper bearing if not both. You definitely better learn how to work on your bike or you're going to be spending $$$'s at the bike shops. The wheels are a low quality wheelset and I ended up having to replace the wheelset after less than 3K miles. After finding numerous flaws with the bike Trek FINALLY replaced it with another model.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2010
[Oct 14, 2016]
Daryn Cummings

OVERALL
Strength:

great bike second bike i have got first worth 200£ it reacts to everything in ease and speed.

Has a noise to it don't no where its coming from sounds like the seat thats it

just bought this bike it was on sale in intersport 50% off 3450€ to 1700€ it had ben sat there for two years. great find oct 2016
Very Light Reactive for speed sprint I've been riding now 4 months and have my avenge to 35ks an hour live in france lots of hills Limoges started off average 22ks got to 28ks but flying now. recommend to anyone

[Aug 16, 2016]
Neal Bowser

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong, solid, well-built and designed machine

The saddle

As everyone else has mentioned, the saddle stinks. In fact, I can't imagine a normal human being being comfortable on the thing. That being said, think of a saddle as a pair of shoes. You'll want to find something more specific to YOU!

As far as the bike itself, it's wonderful! TREK consistently designes equipment that's superior to most. They also stand behind what they make in ways that many don't. I have a little over 10,000 miles on my Madone, and have replaced only tires and the bottom bracket (-bottom bracket at 8500 miles). Both of these components are "expendables". There are "heavy-duty" brackets that you can use, but then the emphasis is on heavy. Be content with the standard set.

This is not my first Trek. They've never disappointed, and this Madone is no exception. It's stable and dependable, with no kinky surprises that you discover on some fast downhill (-had this happen once on another brand). You won't be disappointed. -Oh, and I'm a 69 year old veteran rider with a lifetime of riding experience (-still have yet to find that hidden motor that so many talk about).

Giant, Fuji, and many others

[May 10, 2016]
jnryan

OVERALL
Strength:

The performance is great on this bike. Light, stiff and very responsive. A great bike to ride.

I replace the Bontrager wheelset after about 10K miles with a Flo 30 wheelset. Seat mast kept slipping till the shop finally used a special grease and discovered that the seat mast bolt should be torqued to 7 N instead of 5 N.

The bottom bracket is the biggest weakness of the bike. My bearings lasted about 500-600 miles and you have to overhaul the BB about every one to two months or after riding in the rain. In fact, I won't even ride it when the roads are wet due to having to O/H the BB. A new Trek bearing set with a dust seal got about 800+ miles if overhauled at about 400 miles. Now the frame cups have worn to the point where I now need special Trek oversized brackets.

Performance is outstanding, but I can't give it a high score because of the serious design flaw of the bottom bracket and the poor wheelset. The BB makes for a much more maintenance intensive bike.

[Nov 24, 2015]
Divya Kowshik

OVERALL
Strength:

Light Weight, very stiff and an all round option

Wheelset, bontrager stock saddle and little bit of shifting issues

My first bike and am overall very happy since I have switched to carbon wheels, it is a good all round bike fast on the flats and climbs well as well. Trek should have given saddle options as the stock bontrager is a waste. Changing it with Selle SMP. Shifting needs minor adjustments many a times on the fly

[Jun 18, 2014]
Bruce Buckoski

OVERALL
Strength:

Preformed well in both flat and climbs.
light, stiff with no vibrations.

Stock saddle - changed out with my BuzzBee

This is a very nice ride.
Light and stiff but still gives comfort thank to thin seatstays. Push the pedals and its like a rocket. With Ultgra and Race XLite its as close to stealth as possible with no noice at all,giving you an advantage sneaking up and pedalling past your mates in the mountian climbs.
Its superstable in speeds higher than I will even dare to try.

[May 28, 2014]
Joe B

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight, very stiff and good handling

Bontrager Wheelset is garbage. Shifting with internallly routed cables is very sluggish. Trek unable to supply recall parts.

This is a review of the 2013 Madone 5.2. I purchased this new from my lbs last year. In the past 13 months, the bike has been in the shop for a total of 7 weeks. The first issue was due to sloppy shifting. The rear wouldn't shift smoothly and it appears that the internal cable guides were rubbing. The guys at the shop replaced rear cables and housing and shifting improved slightly. Later, Trek recalled the bike due to a faulty brake design. The LBS instructed me to bring the bike in ASAP and the bike sat more han a month due to a part shortage. Lastly, the rear wheel developed cracks around the spoke nipple and had to be replaced. Lead time for new wheel was 4 weeks. Luckily, the bike shop loaned me a wheel until a replacement arrived.

I'm very frustrated that I dropped 3 large on a bike that has has been less reliable that the 10-year old bike it was replacing. I had always dreamed of having a high-end bike but this one is a real let down. Trek, if you're listening, that swooshing sound is me and anyone within earshot looking for another brand.

LeMonde, Airborne

[Mar 27, 2014]
James

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight, great handling, smooth shifts.

none for me

I am older (65) and this bicycle is more than I will ever need which means I won't ever have to upgrade. I do maintain this bicycle and have never had any major problems. Around 10,000 miles and really enjoy riding it. Sure has helped me keep the waist line in check.

[Aug 14, 2013]
mfaphoto1949

OVERALL
Strength:

I don't own this bike, but it appears to be one cool machine. I gave it 4's because there must be better for more money. Why else would they charge $11-12K?

There don't appear to be any. If I had the money, I might buy it.

I'm posting this for the recreational user who believes that by paying more money, he will go faster. Not so. Speed is determined by, weight of the bike, weight of the rider, gearing of the bike, and strength and endurance of the rider. Recently I watched a YouTube comparison of a $650 bike against an $11K bike by Mike Horn. In it he said if you put equal physically fit riders on the two bikes, the $11K carbon fiber bike would be 1.5 miles further down the road after one hour. Put a 50 pound overweight middle aged man on the carbon fiber bike and a fit 25 year old on the $650 bike, and the fit 25 year old could be twice as far down the road on the cheaper bike. However, if you want to compare yourself with other middle aged fat men, yeah, you may be further down the road on the carbon fiber bike, but it might be a bit embarrassing. Who do you think you are? Mike Horn is a guy who rides about 20,000 miles a year. His day to day bike is a $350 Windsor that he's upgraded with better wheels, chainring, and cog. All together he has $650 in it. For that reason, I bought a Forge CTS 1000 from Target.com for $400. It's an average size bike which fits me well. It comes surprisingly well equipped, but I may upgrade the cog and chainring eventually. Weight is not as low as carbon fiber, but it isn't bad. Lastly, the best thing to do to decrease weight is to lose some of your own body weight and add muscle. You will go faster. I'm pushing too much fat now. If I lose 20 pounds, it should make a big difference considering that the gearing isn't a lot different than the Trek Madone 5.2. Oh, and lose some age too. Young people go faster!

[May 03, 2013]
Otis Burton

OVERALL
Strength:

drive train puts the power into forward motion,and very comfortable ride

just bought it 4 weeks ago ,so no assesment yet i only have 300 miles on it.so i may or may not find anything.maybe the tires

This is my second trek bike,so i may be a little bias, but compared to my old trek this bike is like going from mazda to a porche very smooth shifting ,great handling.

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.