Van Dessel Sports Rivet Road Bike

The Rivet - Extreme power transfer and comfort. Carbon wrapped construction using maximum diameter, ultra thin tubes with 1.5" lower fork crown and headtube.

[May 06, 2010]
Voodoo

OVERALL
Strength:

Racing machine. Period. Stiff, efficient, climbs, descends, great traditional color scheme, can be built in almost any configuration from Van Dessel, very flexible on the parts kit. CUSTOMER SERVICE!-Went down in a big pile up in my second race (which I finished) and cracked the top tube through. Van D came through and within a week of breaking the frame, I was riding a new, replacement frame at a serious deal.

If you're a casual fast rider, this may be too stiff on the seat stays and front end. It could be a bit more smooth (but not at the expense of the race qualities which is why I bought it).

2010 Frame (not an option on RBR's model year choice). Stiff and fast. Comfort is secondary but it soaks up the small stuff well (it's carbon). Big hits on the super stiff front and back you will feel. However, most of my races are 80 miles or less and I don't feel anything during a race. Carbon seat post is a must in my opinion. This is an extremely efficient bike, you pedal, it goes. No delay, no springloading. Climbs great, descends insane (super stiff front end is awesome coming down the hill). A serious machine for the business of racing. I've had it since the end of March (about 7 weeks) with ~900 miles and 2 races.

Full disclosure: Van D is offering our team a great deal on these but I've been a fan of the brand for a long time based on how cool their cross bike Gin & Trombone and the weirdo Country Road Bob are. We have a deal with Scott too and I went with the Van D.

16.4 with the full setup inc pedals, computer, cages and all cables/housing (which everyone forgets to add in their cable/housing weights). 15.46 w/o pedals, cages and computer.

I'd give it a 5 overall if it were a bit smoother off the race course. 4.5 is what i'd rate overall if that was available as an option.

My previous race bike was a Klein QPro Carbon with a Rival set up. Rode it for years and never felt compelled to upgrade the frame over time until this year, this Van D bike. Tested Spec Tarmac Pro, Trek Madone 5.whatever. I'm happy to be off the beaten track with a great brand that's a little bit underground. Certainly wasn't going to spend >$5K on a bike.

[Mar 13, 2010]
frank tunnero

OVERALL
Strength:

it's all good

got sheets greasy when I tried sleeping with it and wife complained

bike is a 2009 - bike is amazing - I am over 230lbs and frame is strong, stiff and comfortable, great climber, descending or cranking 90` turns at speed are experiences not to be missed-with sram red and easton wheels thats America man !

lemond Buenos aires and cannondale super six also demoed colnagos & stoorks

[Sep 12, 2009]

OVERALL
Strength:

light 54cm is only at sub 1000gr.

N/A

Best bike i have ever had. Because light, responsible, stiff, bike is not 2007, the bike 2009 Rivet Carbon

Giant TCR1
Louis Garneau Pro Team 6.2
Kestrel Evoke

[Feb 10, 2009]
Tim

OVERALL

I bought this frameset and built the bike out with SRAM Red, Dura Ace Crank and Wheelset. Bike weighs in at 16lbs. This is a super stiff frame and is still very comfortable. This bike is made for racing and handles like a sports car. I love my new bike and look forward to racing it.

Trek Madone 5.1--bike was comfortable but flexed a lot in sprints.