Wilier Le Roi Road Bike

[Mar 23, 2013]
Warren L

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff all around. Great all arounder capable of handling everything thrown at it; climbing, descending, sprinting, attacking, time trialing, etc. Very lightweight and carbon weave stands out in the sun!

May be a little stiff for the uninformed (never raced!) crowd. I do not fault this frame at all.

Purchased 2006 locally at a premium because parts are premium. Campagnolo Record with carbon everything, including crankset, Record cassette & chain, switch between Mavic Ksyrium SSC, ZIPP 300 and Campagnolo Bora (all tubs), using Vittoria EVO and Tufos, Fizik Arione titanium rail and LOOK KEO carbon titanium spindle. I can't wait for my next Wilier project either Zero7 or Cento1 SR...or both! Each wheelset offers a different ride profile that demands attention and appreciation for their character and style! Love this...

Fondriest Carbon Lex with Campagnolo Chorus

[Dec 27, 2010]
bikecrazy2

OVERALL
Strength:

extremely stiff bottom bracket. climbs like a mountain goat,yet very comfortable on century rides. well sculpted,attention to detail. natural open weave carbon finish.

none.

purchased the frame and fork on e/bay. what a bargain. almost felt badly for the previous owner. almost!!! built the bike from the ground up with components off e/bay. final weigh 16.5 lbs including pedals. what a joy to ride.

trek 5200 full dura ace,1994cannondale r900 dura ace drive train/mavic cosmic elites, 2000cannondale r800 upgrades to dura ace drive train,1989 centurion dave scott iron man expert

[Oct 09, 2010]
stamo

OVERALL
Strength:

Great geometry - no doubt about it, italians know geometry whether it be ferrari's or their race bikes. This thing is a great design no doubt. Its strong ( hey i weigh 105kg and have legs like a sprinter), but certainly won't buckle under the strain of a top gear out-of saddle 60kmph sprint even with me on it. Sloping frame design looks just right, and the tube proportions are just right. The BMC was to skinny, and the KOM had the aero dynamics of a shipping container. The LeRoi slices the air. Great fork and sterring geometry, with just enough compliance for a smooth up front ride.Bottom bracket area is stiff, and certainly I cannot feel any flex. And the seatpost clamp is made the way all clamps should be. Two 5mm bolts with vari load adjustments means plenty of pressure to hold that seatpost steady, but half the amount of tightening load on the bolt area. And did I mention the LAMPRE colours - Mmmm so sexy ! ( Really can't believe LAMPRE is a cement company in Italy, to have such a beautiful colour scheme in their marketing theme. How would I rate this bike - 9 outa 10 , thats how good. This one is definitely a keepa ! Also afr 3 years of SRAM Rival/Force & RED, I went back

Their is not much room for the rear tyre. And a flexy set of wheels will have the tyres scrubbing the frame. I had full carbon clinchers 85mm deep on mine. Not super flexy I must admit, but at my 105 kg, were enuf to cause some non-drive side flex in power sprints. The tyres I used were Shwalbe Ultremo R1 700x23. They scrubed the inside of the chainstay. Mmmm can't have that. So changed to HUTCHINSON Atom 700x21. problem cured. OK ride is rougher due to less air volume. But jeez, they are so much faster than the 700x23. Next set I try , I'll go 700x22, and see if I have no problems. Other than that, I simply cannot fault this bike. Frame is a little old school in that it does not have internal cabling anywhere ( as most new bikes tend to do). But remember this is a hard core race bike - and not for recreational sheila's ( sorry girls- its an aussie anacronism for whimps). External cables are cool if your a racer OK !!!

Bought this frameset from TORPEDO7 brand new. It is actually a 2008 Team lampre model. It has 12k weave, which normally tend to be reserved for lower end carbon frames - but don't ever for one minute think a LE ROI is low-end ! In fact it was Wiliers top model until just recently when the CENTO1 was released. And the 12k weave looks simply spectacular, when it is intermixed with White, HOT PINK & BLUE all in absolute glossy finish. I simply can not take my eyes off this bike. It is sex on wheels !!!!! And the fact it is all with TEAM livery, just makes it so much more desirable over other bikes. It even looks better in the flesh than my mates 2010 CENTO Di2 frame. Even he is jealous at how good the LAMPRE colours look. Now the ride . Well I am totally taken with the ride of this thing. It is stiff, but reasonably comfy, and only exhibited a lot of roughness on very bad chewed out bitumen at speed. Alot of that is down to the 700 x 21 clincher tyres, and the 120psi pressure. It handles every type of style of riding great. Up hills, out of saddle explosive sprints, sharp fast corners, and time trial flats are just unbelievably good. To give you a comparo, my last bike was a BMC SLC01 Pro Machine, and it felt recreational to this. The bike before was a Kuota KOM, and it was like riding an alloy bike, it was so stiff and uncomfy ( bloody fast tho). the LeRoi is all in between. Stiff but fast. OK it has its weaknesses, and I'll point these out below, but generally, for an italian bike at this price range, it was a great buy. And my gosh those LAMPRE colours - I am possitively in love. HOT PINK !

BMc SLCo1, KUOTA KOM, BMC SLT01, BMC SL01, LITESPEED Pavia, Giant OCR zero, Norco RD3. ( order from latest to oldest ) Verdict - the LAMPRE is right right up there. Probably close to the best. Never thought I'd say that about an Italian bike, but I am.