Kona Paddy Wagon Track Bike

Fixed or singlespeed Messenger/Touring.
Frame material: Dedaccia COM Chromoly

[Oct 03, 2011]
Stephen Pearson

OVERALL
Strength:

Style
Geometry
Price
Comfort

I haven't really found any yet, but I will say that I feel every little bump. I come from a different world however, and I do understand that the steel is more forgiving than the aluminium...

So far, I love the look and feel of the bike. I added a rack on the back and some old egg beater pedals that I don't use any more. Also, a new Brooks B-17 Classic helps put it over the top. This is my first road bike, EVER... I think this bike was the most comfortable that I tried throughout my testing process, for the money of course. I'm 5'9" and decided to go with the 53 size instead of the 56; I just felt like I was reaching too much. I did pay a little more than I wanted, but I would rather support my LBS than some random www site (did find one for $517). I would recommend the LBS to build the bike for you, and typically they give you a free tune-up. The single speed is a great way to get out, clear your mind and just peddle for a while.

None, I'm a virgin...

[Oct 06, 2010]
Russell Allen

OVERALL
Strength:

Fun Fun Fun Fun and did I mention Fun. Great value

Some of the components , unsealed BB, freewheel and hubs are a little "cheapskate" but for £350 i really dont care in the slightest. I think it might have been a little dear at the full £550 $850 RRP

This bike is a 2010 model and is just amazing, I bought it as a commuter / winter trainer but I just love riding it. Super comfortable, fast enough, gearing at 42/16 is perfect for essex (apart from the hill between boreham and hatfield peverel which will makes me grunt a bit)The 700/28 tyres are smooth on the very mediocre road surfaces on the local lanes. The Bianchi is getting left in the garage quite a lot....nuff said. Low maintenance too which for a commuter is essential.

My first single speed, I also ride a Bianchi Via Nirone (ultegra)2010 and a Cannondale F900SL hardtail MTB from 2001

[Jul 22, 2009]
mikeyhowells

OVERALL
Strength:

steel frame, decent finishing kit, smooth ride

didn't like the saddle. some back wheel slippage.

wanted a fixie with a steel frame. came down to the il pompino or this. il pompino was out of stock. but i've fallen on my feet - what a great bike this is - it's fairly quick, topping out at about 24mph, but it's not really about the speed - the bloody thing accelerates like a hovercraft. great fun to ride, ace on the corners, eats up the miles, comfortable and looks cool. not bad for under five hundred quid!

none. not ever. nosiree.

[May 01, 2009]
rmdensmore

OVERALL
Strength:

Stem

Everything else

Mm, pretty poor ladies and gentlemen. I worked at a shop that sold Konas in Washington state. I am impressed with their lines, overall, and the Paddy Wagon looked to be a good deal. I live in London now and commute every day. I've replaced the entire drive train including BB (which isn't sealed) due to rust and corrosion. I had to replace wheel bolts, bottle cage bolts, head bolts due to rust. The rear hub is now going - due to rust of all things. I've spotted rust inside the frame during servicing. I clean and lube regularly but it's not enough. I will have spent alot of extra cash keeping this POS on the road but I take comfort in the fact that no one will steal it.

Um, the stem is pretty okay, I guess. Hasn't sheared or anything.

Find another bike.

Bianchi Pista

[Oct 06, 2008]
Mike Mcbike

OVERALL
Strength:

sealed hubs
nice frame
cool paint job / color scheme
sexy lugged straight fork
quick steering
water bosses and fender braze-ons
cable guides

31.8 clamp on the bars (not alot of track bars are in this size)
bottom bracket not sealed
paint chips very easily
non-machined braking surface on rims (they fixed this for 2008)
stock pedals are nylon

I have had 2 other fixies in the past, a bianchi conversion, and a soma rush. I wanted to get back on a fixed gear. The kona was the most comfortable ride of all the bikes i tested. The frame is really comfortable going over bumps and potholes and it is easy to ride no handed. The bike also responds well to out of the saddle sprinting/climbing. The stock gearing is just right for city riding/commuting. Its short enough that you can still jump away from stops, but it's tall enough that you don't spin out unless your going downhill. All the trimmings work really nicely, and there isn't much I would change about it. The stock bars are awesome because they have a great smooth transition into the brake hoods. I originally planned on swapping them out for some bull horns, but I really like the stock set up. I changed out the stem to a 70mm 3t stem

Overall it is a great value of a bike. You get a great frame, good wheels, a good wtb rocket seat, and all the trimmings.

soma rush
surly steam roller

[Jul 11, 2008]
Jimmymack

OVERALL
Strength:

Simplicity at its best.

It makes my Project One Madone cry when I take the paddy for a ride over it.

This bike is a blast to ride. It handles great and is smooth. Ya I'm sold on it.

[Feb 28, 2008]
Dimesandquarters

OVERALL
Strength:

Fender brasings.

Solid ride.

That easy hipster chick will like it.

Sealed hub bearings (Formula).

Gray paint.

That annoying hipster guy will like it.

Made in Taiwan, or so it said on the frame. However, I'm not one to denegrate the Tiawanese craftsman, who are all honorable, hardworking individuals. I don't know if I can tell the difference.

The freewheel isn't sealed, but a new one is almost as cheap as a chain.

That's it so far.

I love commuting the 5 miles to work every morning on this bike; especially in the rain. My commuter was stolen, a 1987 Cannondale Criterium, around jan. I was kinda getting tired of it, having to get out the toothbrush every week to clean the gears, etc. I used to hate on the single/fixie thing, thinking of it as a fad. But after getting rid of the other 14 gears, I did find there were some pratical uses for the simplicity. Yeah, and it rides well too. The Deda frame is heavier than my 'dale but along with the nice wheels and lack of derailleur slap, the ride is silent except for the sound of rocks hitting the inside of the fenders. Did I mention the main reason I got the bike: The frame has brasings for full-size fenders, a necessity in the PNW, and something you can really only find on spendy cyclocross bikes nowadays.

Test rode before I bought this:

Salsa Casseroll
Surly Steamroller
Lemond Fremont(?), or whatever.
Redline 925
Raleigh singlespeed

They all were pretty much the same price but all different flavors of vanilla. This one felt the best, and the Kona comes with fender braisings.

[Jun 17, 2007]
gunnargb

Heavy.

So fun to ride !!!
I have been riding all kinds of bikes for 30 years. Anything from alu roadbikes to high tech carbon bikes but The Paddy wagon is my favorite of all bikes and I will never sell it. Love the steel and the ride of singlespeed.Like the 28 mm tires too. Can ride really hard and some light trails too. And because of the steel I can ride longer than before cause it is so comfortable with steel. Did I say I love the bike ?