Hed Designs Aerolab V04 Triathlon Bike

Constructed from triple butted, custom drawn, aerospace aluminum with a carbon seat and chain stays. Each frame comes complete with all carbon aero fork, headset, and carbon aero seat post.

[Jan 04, 2010]

OVERALL
Strength:

Rear of bike is quite stiff. Fast on flat. Nice look, Lots of attention from people, even my bike was with cheap build up.

not a light frame. Very painful to remove the rear wheel. When padel hard, the bottom bracket flex left and right too much.

I got this frame from a friend, so only paid 250 pounds for a almost new frame. I will not pay 800 pounds for the frame. It is not a top TT bike and too heavy for road racing if you do climbing. I got it for riding in the winter as whole bike job costed me 500 pounds. The bonus of my VO4 built is that I choose campag mirage black groupset and easton vista wheels, so the whole bike is total in black, very cool, attracts much more attention from people than any other my bikes. I do actually enjoy using it as a training road bike, it goes fast on flat actually.

Trek Madone, Kinesis, Pinarello F4:13, Cannondale six13

[Feb 17, 2007]
cpark

OVERALL
Strength:

The look. Comfort due to carbon stays.

Seat Angle, weight, tight drop outs, brake cable routing and cheap bolts.

I had this bike for about 2 years but used it sparingly.
It has the stealth look, ride pretty comfortably and good handling though the front end needs to be stiffer.
Overall it's a descent bike but I think Hed people missed the bullseye with this one.

This bike is in a no man's land.
It isn't a true TT bike or Road bike.
It has a seat angle of 74 degrees (M Frame) which is good angle for crits but I believe they advertise this as a TT frame.
The seat angle is simply too laid back for TT frame.
I set this bike up as a Tri/TT bike but the seat tube angle was too laid back and couldn't quite get comfotable.
I also think that the gap between the rear wheel and seat tube is too wide.
This is surprising since HED people are all about being aerodynamic.
Look at the other TT frame and you will find very tiny gap.
The bike does turn heads and will get a lot of complements.

Three other small issues.
Putting the brake cable through the top tube will take a painstaking time.
Also, after a one ride in rain my seat post clam bolts were rusted as well as the barrel adjuster. My guess is they used cheap bolts for the whole frame.
Lastly, you can not take the rear wheel out until you remove the skewers completlely due to very tight dropouts.

Overall, this frame is not very compelling as a TT bike or Road bike.

It doesn't have the right seat angle for TT set up. It also lacks the light weight, stiffness and overall cache as an outstanding road bike.

It's a simple OK bike.