Litespeed Tachyon Triathlon Bike

The Litespeed Tachyon is designed to be a super-light and comfortable ride with tremendous durability and sustainable power output.

[May 24, 2010]
Dr Paras Jethwa

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable - the titanium nicely dampens the horrid roads we have. Great acceleration and very responsive. Superb stability and control esp. downhill. Excellent value for money. Turns heads - more subtle than big carbon tubes.

Not that aero but this is compensated for by the strengths of this great bike.

Great bike bought on a whim from a closing down shop in Birmingham UK in 2005. Came in at a third off - really good value (£1400). Impressive from day one. Have done one full Ironman and one half Ironman cycle on this bike. Came of the bike feeling good with little fatigue. Can be "abused" without any fear of compromising the frame or damaging it. I would bike it again - or the Blade!

Trek OCLV, Lynskey 430 (really amazing!!)

[Dec 21, 2008]
cvcoop

OVERALL
Strength:

Primarily, Fit and Ride quality. Secondarily, a 700c ride in a 51cm triathlon bike-this can be difficult to find. And last, great bang for the buck!

Not especially aero; no true aero shaping in the tubes, external cable rounting (which could also be a strength).

I purchased this bike as my first true triathlon specific bike after riding my Giant road bike for a couple of years racing. This bike is simply great! It is not especially sexy, not especially aero but it is light and fits like a fine glove which for Ironman distance is paramount. I have owned and sold no fewer than three "super tri-bikes" since this purchase but keep going back to my Tachyon due to the fit and ride quality. I have upgraded to Dura-ace components and Zero G brakes making this tried and true tri-bike weight in at a scant 17lbs with Zipp 404's. This is a feather weight for a tri-bike and aids greatly climbing the hills of Madison, Wisconsin, Louisville, Kentucky or Lake Placid, New York.

Giant Trinity TT, Quintana Roo Lucero, Kestrel AirFoil, Giant TCR-C1, Trek 5500

[Sep 29, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

For peace of mind, I like Ti over CF. When three people I know had Carbon Fiber incidents that rendered their bikes to the trash heap: I decided to make the jump. I know Ti isn't indestructable, I just feel better about it.

External cable routings but I am not so sure it is a weakness. My orbea had Ultegra components and internal routings and the shifting was horrible. The tech told me external routings result in better shifting. I have 105 components and it shifts smoother and more accurately than the Orbea.

After owning an aluminium Trek road bike, a CF Trek raod bike, an aluminum trek tri bike and an Orbea CF tri bike I decided that I wanted to have just one bike for everything. I settled on the Litespeed Tachyon. I couldn't see the logic in having an expensive road bike; and an expensive tri bike that I only used 4-5 times a year. I had these guys build it up for me and I love it. It shifts great and I believe the ride is superior to Carbon. I did some killer hills this weekend and it is light and responsive on the uphills and stable and fast on the downhills. It cornered as well as a tri-bike can corner and I think it will do me well for all around riding.

Orbea Ora, Trek Madone 5.2