Motobecane Nemesis Triathlon Bike

• Shimano Ultegra 6600 20speed Rear Derailleur

[Jul 27, 2020]
jeffbozo

OVERALL
Strength:

My experience with tri bikes means I cannot comment on the frame, but I didn't note any problems (and did hit 41 mph on its maiden, surprisingly easily, I thought). I can comment on the component set: unbeatable at this price point. Solid drivetrain, light wheels.

Purchased:
Used
[Nov 12, 2009]
blueoakforest

OVERALL
Strength:

Good looking, smooth ride, solid breaking, with state of the art gears, tires.

Aerobars are a bit large. Bar end shifters difficult to install, you should buy FF seat post.

The bike is fairly well made and rides well, BUT if you are not prepared for putting together a complex bike without the support of basic instructions, especially installing the shifters and aerobars, you'll become very frustrated and may end up purchasing extra cables. The shifters are totally without clear instructions.

[Aug 17, 2009]

OVERALL
Strength:

The price of the bike beats anything- for all the high end components I would easily pay double anywhere else.

The one major flaw with the bike is the aerobars. They are lame in so many ways. Mine broke after one season- they just snapped in half & I replaced them with a better set that allows you to grip the handlebars- the stock bars are in a fixed position and are horrible.

The Nemesis was an excellent deal. For the components that come with it, nothing will beat the overall price. It has held up over two years and is a fast bike. It also looks cool in black.

I rode a FELT tri bike for about 4 years until a van ran me and the FELT over- totalling both the bike and the rider.

[Aug 10, 2009]
yatesdr

OVERALL
Strength:

Great price for excellent components and a good frame. I wound up swapping all the components out to a different frame (Leader) and still came out ahead in terms of price / performance.

Be careful sizing if you want a comfortable aero position (size down 2 sizes from road bike). The bike is definitely "long and low", so if you have a longish inseam and shorter torso make sure to size according to the top tube length. The aerobars that come with it are adequate, but not stellar. Plan on replacing them eventually if you're serious.

Good price for the components, and overall a great buy. One caution: be very careful with regards to sizing. The geometry is more similar to a road bike than a "real" tri bike, with the top tubes approximately matching the seat tube lengths. It can be hard to get a good aero position on this type of geometry if you have a short torso relative to your inseam, so size down 2 sizes (maybe more depending on your inseam / torso lengths), and figure the sizing based off the top tube length you need for a comfortable aero position. If you don't you'll be stretched way out to reach the aerobars and it will not be comfortable for long rides on the bars. I ride a 62cm road bike (6'2 / 35" inseam) and got the 61cm nemesis, but the top tube was waaay too long (~60mm too long). I wound up swapping the components onto a 57cm Leader frame with a 60mm shorter top tube and my body geometry is much better now. Had I understood what I was doing when I was ordering the nemesis, I would have ordered by the top tube length which for me would be the 56cm frame size, then jack up the seat to get the leg length and saddle position right. For Tri bikes aero position comfort is the most important, so focus on that and you'll be OK.

Trek 1200, MB Sprint, Leader

[Jul 01, 2009]

OVERALL
Strength:

Reliable and kicks the pants off of those full carbon frames other newbies are riding.

From a beginner's standpoint...none.

Great bike for beginners. Solid frame, good components, reliable, and able to race all conditions. On this bike I've done Ironman Japan twice, 2 half iron distance, 1 Oly, and numerous sprints. I would say the resume speaks for itself when it comes to this bike. I'm upgrading to a full carbon frame for next season but only because I'm ready for a faster bike. Don't go out and buy a full carbon top end bike if you're a beginner. It's a waste of money and you're no where near able to reap the benefits of a bike like that. Learn on the Nemisis and earn your stripes first. You'll be happy you did.

none.

[Sep 24, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast, reliable, great components

The Richey Aerobars are ok as a starter set, but more experienced riders will probably want to change them out eventually.

Also..I'm a pretty mechanically inclined guy, but there was no way I was going to attempt the build. Take it to a good LBS.

I am in my second Triathlon season using the Moto Nemesis. I have to say that I absolutely love the bike and am a huge fan. I have no trouble keeping up with any full carbon bike out there and for some reason on a slight down-hill run I'm able to go faster than most bikes.

I recently replaced the whole Richey base bar / aero bar setup with a CBX Pro from Profile Design. I could never quite get the Richey set to adjust properly to me and feel entirely comfortable.

I have not been able to find a better value out there for the money. It always surprises me when I'm in the transition area how few of these I see. The Nemesis is a great bike.

[Aug 15, 2008]
vermonttriathlete

OVERALL
Strength:

PRICE, PRICE, PRICE
Quality of frame and components
Very fast!
PRICE, PRICE, PRICE

Weight

Awesome bike. A little dissappointed that it doesn't have the full 78 degree tube angle, but I put a profile design FF seatpost on it and got the angle up to 81 degrees, and love it. Awesome frame, great parts. I replaced the crank with a shimano R600 compact crank and the cassette with a sram 11-26 and now I have a hill climbing tri bike that feels happiest at about 28mph. With aero wheels it's still not the lightest bike, but still feels faster then other bikes I've ridden. Stiff, sometimes harsh, ride?

This is my second motobecane (had a vent noir too) and I absolutely love them. I can't believe there aren't more of them on the road!

[Feb 13, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

Price. Great group. Comfortable on long rides. Fast bike (and after all, isn't that what it's all about?)

Poor manufacturer customer service (to date). Inferior wheelset (replaceable).

Like most everyone else-I bought my "MotoB" for the price (I would not have bought it at the MSRP of $1895). Two short rides have proven the bike to be responsive and quick. I had the LBS complete the remaining 10% build from out of the box, and do a fitting; the fitting extended the aero bars out which made the cables extending down from the shifters tight. So tight that when I made a few sharp angle turns it destroyed the front derailleur cable sheath (a good LBS is so hard to find). Motobecane has been unresponsive with two attempts to locate a nearby dealer so I can replace the part with OEM parts. This level of customer service is concerning from a manufacturer. I replaced the seat will be using a race wheelset for competion. All said I am quite pleased with the price for performance ratio.

[Sep 12, 2007]
Jbsurfin

OVERALL
Strength:

high end components, good service from BD
nice comfortable ride

Ritchey areo bar elbow support is weak and broke. Was quickly replaced.

Best value for the $$. High end parts and fast. I have no problem holding an avg 24mph during tri's.. Blows the more expensive bikes away and I love it..

Fugi, Trek,cannondale

[Jul 31, 2007]
Brenda Yawn

OVERALL
Strength:

An incredible deal for a very, very nice bike with high-end components. Comfortable and fast.

This is not an easy bike to assemble. I'm no mechanic, but I've broken down a bike for air travel plenty of times and thought this one would be a breeze. I spent three hours or more on assembly and still took it in to my bike mechanic for all the final adjustments. The shifters come in a box, which I wasn't expecting.

I recently switched from an entry-level Giant OCR3 to this bike. I really liked my Giant, but I love this bike. It's much lighter than I expected. It's a comfortable ride and very fast. I did my first tri on it, and shaved several minutes off my bike time.

Giant OCR3