Quintana Roo Caliente Triathlon Bike

The Quintana Roo Caliente is one incredibly fast bike that have just named “hot”, but using the Spanish translation just made it sound even more intense. The Caliente’s new handcrafted full carbon frame is leaps and bounds ahead, in both ability and head-turning characteristics, than any other bike in its class.

[Aug 15, 2008]
murphy.caine

OVERALL
Strength:

Good climber. Super-aero while still comfortable after 100+ miles. Nice graphics

Not good for downhill switchbacks.

When I decided to get serious about triathlon it gave me an excuse to buy a "high-end" tri bike. I intially intended to buy a PS2, got such a deal on this bike (came with Zipp 404s) I couldn't pass it up.

I love this bike and was surprised to read so many bland reviews. It's super light, agile, really strong on the climbs, and looks shape. I've put countless miles on it and laid it down at high speeds without any major damage to the frame. I completed an Ironman on it and qualified for the 1/2 iron world championchips. Never had any serious problems on downhills, although it can get a little hairy on downhills with sharp turns...like all tri bikes.

QR knows triathlon. If you can get a good deal on this bike I would take it.

Cervelo P2C, QR Kilo, Felt B2

[Jul 06, 2008]
frostbite36

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks nice. It is very aero. Price is cheap.

VERY unstable at high speeds. Don't get this is you are seriously fast or aggressive on hills. If you live and race on the flats it is safe, but don't travel anywhere hills or fast.

Only purchased frame and fork and did a custom build from there. Overall nice finish and stiff. I am dumping because it is so unstable at speed, especially decending. Anything over 33MPH is suicide! It develops high-speed whobbles with or without wind. VERY unstable with any wheel combination incliding Tri-spokes, disk and spoked wheels. My position is not too aggressive and the bike fits me. 55cm was the size I beleve.

Light speed ultimate, Softride TT

[Sep 17, 2006]
twntbo

OVERALL
Strength:

Speed. Aerodynamics. Power transfer.

Even with a carbon fork and carbon seat stays, the bike is stiff and less forgiving. I am sure that the '06 model (in full carbon) would be more comfortable.

I purchased the bike on closeout, a steal for $2K. Quintana Roo has a forward feeling geometry, which I love. The bike is crazy fast, defintely the fasted bike I have owned. This is my third tri-bike. To compare to my road bike just wouldn't be fair. My only complaint is that the bike is not the most forgiving.

Background -- I have roots as a roadie with recent years as a triathlete. I have completed in too many Sprints to list, three Olympic races and have an upcoming half-iron next week. If I ever set my sights on a full IronMan, I will probably invest in a full carbon rig for comfort.

Triathlon bikes: Guru Chrono, Fetish Cycles