Avocet 45 Computers

Avocet 45

[Jul 24, 2008]
Randy

OVERALL
Strength:

Still my favorite screen layout and buttons. Exactly what I needed.

Oh well....c'est la vie. If it doesn't work, it's not a computer, it's trash.

Oh it's so sad. I really prefer my Avocet computers over any others. Alas, the two 45tt's that I bought a few years ago both died rather quickly. One actually lasted about a year. The other one stopped functioning well fairly soon, and went back to Avocet about three times to be "repaired." Each time it was returned (replaced? repaired?) it worked for about a week.

But I have two older Avocet 40's that both still work, after many, many years.

So much for the evolution of a company and its products. Is Avocet still in business? Maybe, but I bet they don't sell bike computers anymore.

[Nov 11, 2005]
mlewis73

OVERALL
Strength:

None.

Terrible buttons. Company seems to not be supporting their products.

I bought this computer awhile back, and used it briefly. TERRIBLE buttons that sometimes forward the display twice if pressed once... and most of the time don't work the first time pressed. When Avocet made their computers in the USA years ago I never had any trouble... These Chinese-made units are junk. To boot, I've placed TWO orders for a replacement bracket but neither has been filled--one for over a year--because Avocet is having supply issues and may very well be heading out of business. I'd stay away from this company and buy a Cat Eye computer. The two Cat Eye "Micro" computers I have, purchased in 1988, are still going strong.

Other computers from Cat Eye and Specialized.

[Dec 17, 2003]
rendrag
Weekend Warrior

OVERALL
Strength:

It has all of the functions that I will ever need including cadence, and I find cadence essential to improve your performance.

Getting one that works is a hassel. No one likes the waste of returning defective products.

I have been using Avocet computers on my bike since they first came out many years ago. The quality at one time was superb but has really fallen down. My present one is the 45tt. I had to send two back till I got one that works reliably. At first this one's switches had to be punched a couple times to work but with use it works just fine now and I really would not be without it, and like it very much.

I never used any other bike computer since Avocet first came out.

[Oct 31, 2003]
David Kirkpatrick

OVERALL
Strength:

Lots of functions.

Doesn't work, bad warranty follow up.

I hate to do this but I have to whack this computer and Avocet in general. I bought a 45TT this spring. It stopped working well the first rainy day (no more cadence), then dropped digits soon after, then really just didn't work at all. All told I got about 3 weeks of marginal functionality out of it. No big deal, people make mistakes. But once I sent it back (and to be honest I let it sit on my desk for a month before I sent it back), it took them two weeks to get back to me and tell me that yes, indeed, it would be replaces, and that it would be three weeks before they had the stock on hand to replace it. That was 8 weeks ago. I called today, they said it would be 3 weeks before they could replace it. I don't believe them, and will be taking a 35 instead, so that I might have it before I am old and grey.

Scwinn Sting Ray cyclocomputer (I'm not kidding, the thing cost $18, tells me what I really need to know and is bulletproof).

[Jul 12, 2003]
Jeff

OVERALL
Strength:

best looking and mounting.

reliability. Less reliable than a $2 watch you would find in a liquor store.

I started using avocet computer around 1990. They were the rage of the pro peloton and worked great. They were highly reliable. No problems at all. Some years later, avocet quality has taken a severe nosedive, and I mean severe. They are now made in china, the hallmark of quality excellence. The dislplay will almost always go out within months as just about everyone else here has said. Your breath has enough moisture to make the display fail. Nothing like jamming in a big gear and seeing the numbers look like letters! The only thing that seems to work halfway decently is the cadence display, and even that has problems. A true piece of crap, I will never buy another one again. A complete waste of $50. Hey avocet: What the hell is your problem?

[Jun 11, 2003]
BruceG

OVERALL
Strength:

Seems to be accurate. Nice pickup design with multiple pulses per revolution. Easy to set up and easy to read.

Moisture will work it's way onto the circuit board and short out the buttons. The Ride Time function takes more button pushes to get to than the stop watch. It should be the other way around.

We've used 3 of these computers on 2 bikes for more than 10,000 miles. Number 1 failed after two weeks due to an unreadable display. Number 2 has a display with several inop number segments and has failed many times due to inop buttons. The cause has always been moisture on the circuit board under the switches. Number 3 has also failed many times because of the moisture problem. We like the accuracy and diplay design but we've had enough problems and they're headed for the trash can.

CatEye

[Mar 10, 2003]
Jim
Weekend Warrior

OVERALL
Strength:

When it worked it did it well.

Temprature and water sensitive. Might be ok if you live in a hot, arid region!

Worked good for a few months and then the display started wigging out on me as it gets cooler out. If it is above 60 it works most of the time but as it gets cooler the display starting from the middle starts to fade. If the temp hits 40 you get nothing. Also worthless in the rain, get no reading.

Sigma BC800, (shoul've just went to the 1400 to get cadence!), just installed a Vetta RT77 that I got for 10 bucks, will keep you posted.

[Jun 02, 2002]
Sam Wilbur
Racer

OVERALL
Strength:

works great if you never get over 25mph, and never wear a heart rate monitor

doesnt perform its main function when you most want it to.

This computer nearly always wigs out when I am going over 25-30mph. At first I thought my heart rate monitor was affecting it, but it does it even without the monitor. Its very disconcerting to be going at what feels like 35mph and your computer shows 18.6. I am trashing it and getting something else.

avocet 25.

[Apr 23, 2002]
Critracer
Racer

OVERALL
Strength:

Luv having the cadance.

HAS NO DURABILITY!!!

I have had the Advocet 45TT for a little over a year. The company provides accessories because they go out at will. I have replaced everything with this unit, except the Computer Face. Dont get me wrong, the computer is out, and im with a computer as I write this. Im going with Cat Eye! Not going to invest anymore money into this system by purchasing a computer face. "BUY AT YOUR OWN RISK"

There is none, ive had other cheaper computers that have gave me less problems.

[Apr 17, 2002]
bikerrat x

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to use, easy to set up, display layout is logical. Two-button control is simple and the buttons have a positve click to them.

Avocet quality control is in the toilet. Probably too expensive even if it worked properly. When I stop riding, the average speed always goes down a little.

Ditto to what Red Rover and others have said. I love the layout and controls of the Avocets but they just aren''t making a quality product anymore. Bought two 45''s at the same time, one has been working fine on my mountain bike, though it hasn''t really gotten much use. The other one was installed on my road bike - this one has been a problem. After a few uses, it stopped working - speed would flicker then go to zero. Tapping it helped once in awhile. Sent back to Avocet and they finally returned it. Their tech''s note said that it seemed to be working fine but he replaced the %&^*@*% anyway just to be sure. If it checked out fine (which it couldn''t have), why did he feel the need to replace the whatamacallit? Well, it worked for about a month and then the display froze with every segment of the LCD lit up. Sent it back to Avocet. After a month and several phone calls they sent me a replacement unit. Except the new one that they sent to me was defective - the display was not working right. Sent it back today and I am hoping for a miracle - to have it replaced by one that works for a while. After reading the reviews of other computers, I will be buying something else next time, which may be sooner rather than later. Too bad, because I like this computer when it works.

Avocet 40