Sigma Sport Sport BC 800 Computers

BC 800

[Jun 30, 2006]

OVERALL
Strength:

Good display, easy to use, rugged.

Owner's manual is beyond dismal. I couldn't even figure out how to remove it from the head unit until I watched a video on Sigma Sports' website.

No problems here. LBS installed it on my new Biria. Wrapped the cable too many times, so I had to dismount it and remount it so I could get some slack to raise the bars. Very accurate - corresponds exactly with my GPS. Over 1,000 miles, 1 year, original battery. No problems with the rubber band/double stick tape mount - use an appropriate O-ring to replace the "rubber band" if needed.

[May 04, 2003]
kiwisimon

OVERALL
Strength:

ease of use, price.

weak mounting system occasional mmisreading of speed probably daused by interference

Initial teething problems but as I use thiis computer I get more impressed For the money paid it now works just as well as I would expect matbe even better. The set up is flimsy with rubber bands, I am concerned about shaking it loose but thus far no probs. The cateye mounting system is more rigid and confidence inspiring but much more expensive. Given an unlimited budget I would probably go back to cateye but this comp has worked very well for the last 5 months

cateeye 3 of them

[Dec 28, 2002]
Chadman101

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, setup

Not working properly, returning for a new one.

Easy to set up, but the timer doesn't keep time. The clock is consistant, but I loose about 10 seconds of every minute of the accumulated ride time

Schwin

[Dec 04, 2002]
JV

Strength:

Poor quality control, doesn't have a Fixed MPH readout you have to scroll through to get to it.

At First look the BC800 looked to be a good unit. Mounting was good on the bar. Sensor relativly small. LCD characters are a decent size for a quick look. I was quickly dissapointed with the first unit as I couldn't get a consistant readout. I checked the magnet to the wheel for clearance this was fine. Turned out to be the CPU had poor contact with the mount. This was within the first 3 weeks that it failed. Got a replacement from my LBS. This unit died a quicker death. In 1 week the whole unit went belly up. Tried a new battery, summary bad unit. At that point I gave up and went back to a tried and true Specialized unit.

Specialized Comp, Now using Specialized Pro.

[Aug 24, 2002]
Terrapin

OVERALL
Strength:

Accurate readings, looks great, detacheable mount, battery mileage re-set

God awful instruction manual (not unusual for computers). Avoid the wireless version (has the same problems that other wireless versions have)

Excellent computer for the price. Those having problems with this unit are doing oen of two things wrong (or both). 1. They have installed it wrong. The instruction manual is not great, try using the web instruction video. 2. They are using the wireless unit, which has the usual wireless problems that all manufacturers have (erroneous readings at times, temperamental). This computer has the following nice features outside of its usual on-screen feature set. 1. It is easily detacheable from the mount (so it won't get stolen), and is securely fastened when in the mount (wont' rattle) 2. Its readings are very accurate (if you have the wired version), more so than any Cateye product I've used. 3. It looks GREAT. 4. It's very easy to use while riding, with one big thumb-operated button doing all the work. Well designed. 5. It has an "after battery install" re-set of the overall mileage, which not all computers do (you type in the mileage that you had before the battery changed). 6. Very easy to read display. 7. Very secure handlebar mounting, using rubber O-rings (which reduce chatter) Overall, I'd put this computer at the top of the "sub $40" category. Easily.

Cateye everything.

[Jan 19, 2002]
NiktheV

OVERALL
Strength:

Wireless. But so are other computers. It can give you readings in twelve different languages, of which I can read four.

Poor quality. Unreliability. Temprementality.

Buy a Cateye. Forget this computer, unless you want to live in delusions. (I got a max speed of 100 mph on a flat course--would that it were!) Replaced bateries twice in 3 months in wireless sensor and in computer. (Each part requires a seperate battery.) Also is very finicky to set up.

Several Cateyes (see my review of the Mity 3) and lots of junk from Avocet, Vetta and Sigma.

[Jan 14, 2002]
Derek Paquette

OVERALL
Strength:

Wireless function. Very accurate.

Pressing mode button might unclip the computer from its base if not clipped in completly. Happened during the middle of a ride.

Wireless feature is the only way to go. No need to run wires or tear wires while riding. Clean looking and never misses a beat. Once you use this you will never use a wired computer again.

[Dec 11, 2001]
adamiscool

OVERALL
Strength:

Price

Buttons breaking, difficult to press, not backlit, incorrect top speed readings

This product has all most of the features that a good computer should, but is not reliable. I used it on a mountain bike and it would give me top speed readings of 100MPH after I would ride sometimes. Backlit would be nice too...Some of us ride at night. One of the buttons broke, and can''t be fixed because it''s not under warranty, even though it wasn''t abused.