Specialized 01 Speedzone Pro Computers

All of the same functions of the Elite with the added benefits of an altimiter, thermometer and inclonometer.

[Jun 26, 2012]
GARY RAND

OVERALL
Strength:

EXTREMELY RELIABLE, ACCURATE, USER FRIENDLY
BEST COMPUTER I HAVE EVER OWNED IN 25 YEARS OF CYCLING

NO WEAKNESS

I OWN A TANDEM, MOUNTAIN BIKE & 2 ROAD BIKES AND HAVE THIS SPEED ZONE PRO ON EACH BIKE.
HAVE TRIED OTHERS AND CAME BACK TO THE SPEED ZONE.
SIMPLE IS BEST.

SHIMANO FLIGHT DECK
CATEYE-WIRELESS

[Sep 06, 2003]
chuck gerteis

OVERALL
Strength:

All the functions worked well. It was easy to mount. It is my second wireless, and I would never buy another wired computer, because of harness and contact problems. I had no problems with computer readings in heavy rain,unlike wired computers previously owned.

Temperature readings seem to be high,except that most thermometers would also read high if exposed to direct sunlight. Also, heat radiating from road surfaces effect this. The inclinometer readings sometimes appear erratic. But these I believe are averaged over 20 seconds. It would be nice to have an instant reading of inclination. It would also be nice for the display to have at least distance and speed shown simultaneously.

Even though I ride frequently in the Galveston bay area which is basically flat,I really liked the altimeter, and inclination readings. Unfortunately, the computer was blown off the mount at 30+ mph coming down a Baytown bridge over the ship channel. There was nothing left of the computer except the front and back of the case. This probably was due to my bumping the computer before it was dislodged. It was in the mount for 4000 miles when I carried the bike on top of my car at speeds over 70 mph during a recent trip to the west coast.

Specialized wirless without altimeter, temperature and inclination.

[Jun 11, 2003]
cz85b

OVERALL
Strength:

lots of toys to play with...

TOO MANY toys to play with... you forget why you are on a bike... (to ride...) Further, the Inclinometer is not always right... it won't keep track on how steep an entire hill is, only the brief second you are on a brief section... then it is gone.. (I THINK I SAW SOMETHING, but I was too busy trying to breathe, to be sure...) Oh did I mention it stopped working after 3 months?

I bought this (03 model) because of the Inclinometer and altimeter... They were fantastic! I was truly amazed... then, the second ride went by, and I promptly forgot they were there....

Cat eye (the big heavy altimeter one, I can't remember the model # off hand, but it is the only altimeter they have....) Oh and others also, but that one was the closest in # of toys to play with...

[May 27, 2003]
DougSloan

OVERALL
Strength:

Lots of functions.

Lots of functions don't work well. See narrative.

Bought this computer specifically for the inclinomoter function, and I'm sorely disappointed. The reading jumps all over the place, inconsistent and inaccurate. Apparently it actually measures incline by calculating change in elevation over distance covered. I expected a more direct measurement, but given the manual's statement about having a "highly accurate" altimeter, I thought it might work. On steeper grades and slower speeds, like 12%+ and under 5 mph, the inclinometer function is erratic. This is what I bought this one for, as I already have half a dozen other computers, including with altitude functions. I found that on really steep grades, the readout jumps all over from 8% to 20%, much too inconsistent to account for road variation. Also, the incline function jumped all over when moving from sun to shade and back, still on a consistent grade. Very disappointing. (I would think these problems would be much worse at slower mountainbike speeds, too.) The temperature readout is unreliable, too, and much too affected by sun. At 7,000 feet elevation, it jumped from 79 degrees (probably realistic) to 101 degrees when I stopped in the sun. The altimeter was not "highly accurate" as represented in the manual, either. Climbing from 1,750 feet to 5,000 feet, then to 7,000 feet, the readout was 400 feet off at 5,000, then after recalibrating at a known elevation, another 300 feet off in the climb from 5,000 to 7,000 -- that's over 10% off in 2,000 feet -- anything but "highly accurate." I've bought Specialized computers in the past and always was very disappointed. Call me a sucker for doing it again.

Cateye

[Jun 06, 2002]
gray8110

OVERALL
Strength:

Just about everything. I really love the altimeter and inclinometer. The altimeter works great and when set prior to the ride is usally within 10 feet of true elevation barring a major change in barometric pressure. The elevation gain info is wonderful and repeating the same rides it is consistent so I assume it's pretty accurate. The inclinometer seems accurate and is great to torture yourself on with on sustained steep grades.. better than staring at your average speed drop. It's great to have a resettable odometer so I could carry the mileage over from the old computer. Obviously the cadence is a necessity and works well.

It does get interference from wireless devices. I've got a wireless keyboard and everytime I bring in the computer to log my ride stats the computer will tell me I'm going 2 or 3 mph.. it never accumulates mileage doing this but it's mildly annoying. Also I did once hit a BIG pothole and it apparently jarred the battery lose resetting the computer. That was bad, but everything was resettable so I didn't lose much. For all of the features it has, it would be cool if it had an average cadence and average incline feature but that's nitpicking.

This is the best computer I've had. It has every feature that I'd ever want and they all work flawlessly. The only real complaint that I have is that it get's interference occasionally from other wireless stuff. Basically the computer fills every spot on even the most detailed logbook.

Cateye Enduro 2

[Feb 04, 2002]
oregonyankee
Weekend Warrior

OVERALL
Strength:

Cadence. Elevation gain. Inclinometer. Fairly easy install (Cannondale CAAD3 frame).

The thermometer, well, it makes us Oregonians hopeful when it''s cold. The manual print is very, very small - get your reading glasses ready.

This is best computer I''ve got (Vetta; Cateyes; Flight Deck). In addition to all the usual cyclometer stuff, Cadence is a >must< if you''re serious. The elevation gained (not net, actual) plus the inclinometer make the price well worth it. I almost bought the ''02 model but the form factor (round face) just didn''t do it for me. If you''re serious about training and want to see what you''re doing, buy this puppy. And by the way, it comes in a little tin "lunch box" which you can give your kids.

Vetta. Cateye. Shimano.

[Jan 13, 2002]
Russell

OVERALL
Strength:

Many functions Wireless

Excellent cyclocomputer! Makes for a good road bike comp.

speedzone comp

[Dec 26, 2001]
Ed
Cross Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to read. Elegant to look at. Love that inclinometer! A true boon for the terminally curious.

It ought to fit tighter into the handlebar mount. It''s flown off my bike several times (with a little help from me, of course). A couple of times, it''s lost data after hitting the ground. The temperature gauge is usually a good seven to ten degrees optimistic. Sure, the designers probably did it as well as it could possibly have been done, but with all those various functions, it can take a lot of button-pushing to shuttle between the two or three functions that interest you.

A solid, well-sorted out product. If you''ve ever wondered how steep that hill really is, you gotta get one.

Avocet Altimeter 50. A good machine that, after several years, finally gave up the ghost.

[Dec 20, 2001]
off242
Weekend Warrior

OVERALL
Strength:

The plethora of functions make it a gem of a computer, especially with the backlight & cadence. While not wireless, the cadence is the setting I use the most, as it''s operational on or off the trainer. (For your crank arm, though, get a smaller magnet and wedge it in where the pedal screws in to the crank).

1) Price. 2) Cadence is not wireless (is supposed to be with the 02 model; we''ll see next month, I suppose). 3) I''ve lost data a couple of times due to minor bumps on the computer (ok, I dropped it after removing it from the bike, but still). 4) With all of the functions, a "back" button would be nice, just in case you overshoot your selection -- something easily done while out for a spin.

Best machine for the money, which is saying something, given the rather steep price tag. Still, you really do get what you pay for, and I''d buy it again (actuall plan to, since the 02 model sport improved looks and wireless cadence).

Cateye something or other; Vetta RT77.