Specialized Speedzone P. Brain w/ PC Download Computers

All the great features of the P.Brain with a PC download module which allows you to download info to your PC for storage, tending and analysis. (Not Mac compatible).

[Feb 13, 2006]
jasongun

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap (now only $89). Good Cycle / Heartrate functions Decent looking, lots of features. Cool download capability (easy). Prompt and honest customer support.

Need to order extra mount converter for oversize bars (now the norm). Altitude Sum doesn't work at all. You can estimate using the graph after downloading to computer.

After using your Speedzone Pro for the last couple years with great success, I decided to "upgrade" to the P.Brain so HR function could be included w/o an additional computer (although I miss the gradient feature). After rearching online (www.roadbikereview.com), it appears that numerous people are having a lot of trouble with the "Altimeter Sum". It is waayyy off. Even compared to my other Specialized computers. It would give me figures of nearly 30,000ft. climbed when it was more like 6,000 or 7,000. All the cycle and HR functions work great, but one of the main reasons I bought this was for the altimeter function. I emailed Specialized and got a very prompt response (1-day). They said that they have never gotten the altimeter function to work properly; thus, they recommend exchanging it for another type of computer if altimeter is important to me. I respect their honesty. It shouldn't have made it to market with this error though. Because it otherwise works well (HR & Cycle functions) - I have decided to keep it. Their customer service was prompt in telling me they "screwed up" - but I paid only $89 for a computer/HR monitor with download functions, so it's still a good deal. If you're having trouble running the software, you probably need to download the current version (for MS Windows XP / 2000). If you can live w/o Altitude Sum, get one.

Cateye Cordless Specialized Speedzone Pro

[Oct 13, 2004]

OVERALL
Strength:

HRM, display easy to read with polarized sunglasses. PC downloading works great. Works well.

Altimeter/unit is sensitive to light. It sucks you have to cover it with tape. The mode indicators are worthless. It is easier to just watch the display change and figure out if you are in the mode you want. Speed update is kind of slow. PC software itself could do a lot more.

I have used this comp. for ~15 rides. Not trusting it, I left my Trek wireless comp. on my bike as well. I notice that the speed update of the PBrain is about 1 second behind the Trek. I was worried about the smaller digits of the PBrain, but the digits are thicker, and I have found the display easier to read with polorized sunglasses. I have now gotten use to having two computers on my bike. With this setup I never have to push a button. The HRM has worked great for me. The in-target graph is all you really need to see what your heart rate is doing. The altimeter is a different story. Some days the total altitude was ~3500' and others it was over 12000' with the same ride. Remembering a review on mtbreview, I noticed that the PBrain is sensitive to light. I covered the green button on top and the total altitude for the last two rides has been around 2000'. Semiconductor chips are sensitive to light and the pressure sensor is most likely a bare chip. The engineer(s) really missed something here. I actually like the wired sensors since I was getting tired of replacing the battery in the transmitter for the Trek every 2 to 3 months. Not sure if this is the norm or not. The software is OK, but it would be nice if one could do a lot more with it. The only other thing I would love to have on this comp. is a temp reading.

[Mar 06, 2004]
Racer

OVERALL
Strength:

The cheapest computer that has both a HRM and a bike computer. Specialized will quickly ship you a new one if you destroy it.

Bad software. Altitude gain function is worthless.

If you have reasonable expectations this is the best product at this pricepoint. It is the only one that has both a bike computer and a HRM in one unit at this price. The HRM works as well as any HRM does, with the bad readings in the 200's. The bike computer works well also. The altimeter is usually approximately right, but the "total altitude gain" function is useless. However, the downloaded data is usually very reasonable. The software is a disappointment. However, I have written some computer code so that you can read the saved data files and access the raw numbers so you can make your own graphs. My program requires you to have IGOR PRO, which is a data analysis program that runs on Macs and PC. So if any of you are cycling and computer geeks that have this program, let me know and I will email you the code.

Old Polar XTCycle.

[Apr 16, 2003]
GiantMark
Weekend Warrior

OVERALL
Strength:

Small, loads of data.

Having to set the Local altitude before every ride. Software is limited, no export, no zoom

An excellent piece of kit, though it lokks like specialized have dropped it. The software could have done with a revision but the thing it's self is great. It doesn't like being near my Etrax GPS though, the first time I put them both on the bike the heart rate indication went up to 245, which was a bit of a shock!!

[Jul 04, 2002]
Scott
Weekend Warrior

OVERALL
Strength:

The altitude information was crucial training for a Mountains of Misery.

PC download only unless you use a PC emulator on a Mac. $$$.$$

I've had no problems with obvious inaccuracies or durability. I had to replace the chest strap after body surfing the pavement and my epoxy repair of the amputated half gave way.