Vetta RT55 Computers

• Auto Start/Stop

• USER REVIEWS

[Nov 04, 2008]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Ease of setup and day to day reset.

As a recreational rider, age 70+ years, who rides 30 to 60 miles a week at a pace of 15 mph in the moderately hilly roads of NH the computer meets all of my needs. It is easy to setup and easy to reset. I get about 2 years battery life.

[Nov 28, 2006]
    Stacy

OVERALL
    Strength:

Easy to install.

Read above.

The cyclometer is a "piece". Only once have I been able to get it to reset on a new ride. And while I wish I had the power to claim this as truth, it states my max speed is 106.4mph. Can't get an average... and even now while my bike is stored away, the cyclometer is jumping into inhuman speeds.

I really regret this purchase.

[Jul 30, 2006]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Cheap

Don't work

Reads way high after a year. A year ago touring in France the thing was remarkably accurate. It match the km markers to within 0.1km in 50. about a month ago it started to read high, a little bit at first but it's got worse. I rode Seattle to Portland 206m; the Vetta read 256.5m. The contact on the back was iffy. Occasionally it would read zero when it shouldn't. I thought the high reading may have been tire wear but for the Seattle to Portland ride I had a brand new tire (same brand). Going to ask REI for my money back.

Looking

[Jun 18, 2006]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Was less expensive by 5 dollars than a product I knew and would vouch for.

Poor design concept: inability to calibrate wheel distance without removal of battery. My unit performed poorly and was highly errant.

I used Cat Eye products pretty much exclusively until the need came for another bike computer. I figured, how hard could it be to screw up a bike computer? I mean, it's a big enough name, it's on the rack with the other nice ones, it's not priced like a cheapo WalMart Bell computer. It must be as good as any of the others. That's where I was wrong.

I'll be fair enough to say maybe I got a bum unit. Then again, maybe not since it reached a scorching 2 point something rating on this site.

From the get-go it has a poor design. Yeah the buttons are crummy, but more importantly, trying to precisely dial in the correct wheel distance setting requires taking the battery out each time and then resetting every parameter. A colossal pain. You can change the odometer without removing the battery but you cannot set the wheel distance. Did they think this through?

About a week after I bought it I noticed a strange problem: the speed read zero while trucking along. No problem, I thought, the sensor nust have slipped. Nope, it just decided to read zero sometimes. Shortly after, the unit began making up for lost time and decided to begin reporting 35mph speeds at something more like 10mph. Admittedly, coming off a 30 mile ride with stats in the computer saying I went 75 miles and hit a peak of 51mph looks impressive, though I'd rather have a computer that wasn't telling fishing stories. Also, when trying to reset the values to zero before a ride, sometimes it felt like resetting and other times it absolutely would not reset. This unit has ticked me off to the point I want to tear my teeth out.

You may think, hey, this guy set the computer wrong or otherwise fouled up the works. I'm certain I didn't. I've been meticulous in trying to troubleshoot, tried to fix this thing over & over again, and I've simply determined that something is inherently wrong with this item. I don't know if this is typical for Vetta but I'm not taking another chance. I'm going back to my trusty Cat Eye computers.

Cat Eye Enduro 8/Mity 8

[Oct 12, 2004]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Nice color. Works well while it lasts.

Flies out of the mount very easily---very poorly designed mount. Try to change screens etc while riding and it is likely to fly off the bike. Poor water resistance. Mine died in its first real rain storm. Battery outlasted the computer.

Had it on mine for one yeat and 5,000 miles. Perhaps that is a good life, but the first heavy rain of about 20 minutes ruined it. Would not read speed, no matter if I cleaned and dried the contacts or no matter what I did. Gave up and tossed it. The maintenance screen I never figered out. One part sets the hours, which was easy to understand, but it had another small number above the hours which made no sense.

Cateye

[Jul 15, 2002]
    il sogno

OVERALL
    Strength:

Accurate clock, speed and mileage readings (when the mount contacts are good). Sleep feature conserves battery, ability to customize odometer reading.

Too many screens to cycle through. I'm also not crazy about the order they are in. Cheesy mount which does not provide for secure contact surface and does not hold the computer securely. Polished chrome bezel blinds you in the mid day sun. Inscrutable service timer function.

I got this computer because I liked my previous Vetta, a C-15 a lot. One of the first things I noticed about this computer is that it has too many screens to shuttle through, at least for my tastes. The mechanism that holds the computer onto the mount is also sub standard. One of the problems is that in order to zero out the computer at the start of the ride, you have to push both buttons simultaneously. The locking mechanism is not strong enough to hold the computer in place when you do this and as a result I've had the computer go flying off my bike about a half dozen times at least. Also the contacts are a bit iffy. There have been a couple of rides where I've been cruising along and looked down at it only to see it reading 0 mph. Another problem is the highly polished chrome bezel surrounding the display. Some of the RT 55 colors do not have this bezel. Mine unfortunately does. The highly polished chrome reflects the sun directly into my eyes during my mid day rides, making it virtually impossible for me to look down at the computer unless I'm in a shade. I don't know about the service timer on this thing. I set it when I got the computer. I've ridden over 3000 miles since then and have yet to hear or see any sort of alarm that would indicate my service is due. I think this function is useless but in all fairness I don't consider it to be an important enough feature for me to research it in the manual.

Avocet 25, Avocet 31, Vetta C-15, Cateye Velo 2

[Apr 30, 2002]
    BigPete

OVERALL
    Strength:

Simple to use and easy to set up. All the basic functions are there.Maintenance reminder is a nice idea.

Wiring harness looks a bit flimsy. Some people may want more functions.

This is a good basic computer. It has all of the functions that most people need. The maintenance reminder is a good idea, time will tell if the execution works.

Echowell F1, Old Avocet

[Feb 14, 2002]
    Kenn

OVERALL
    Strength:

Cool looks, easy to install, easy to read

After reading some of the reviews, I can say that I have NOT had the same problems. My computer stays clipped in. I can change from one display to another easily. The only thing I see is that the clip that goes around the handlebar could be a little larger. I wasn''t able to use the screw to tighten in, but it has never gone anywhere. Never had any problems and thats probably pretty good in the Texas heat. Hope this doesn''t jinx me.

Good Basic computer