Vetta RT77 Computers

• USER REVIEWS

[Oct 11, 2005]
    croswell1

OVERALL
    Strength:

Nice looking. Easy to read data. Very reliable.

Sensor magnet for the cadence needs to be anchored better to the crank arm.

This is for the Vetta RT77. Computer worked flawlessly right out of the box. Have had no problems with it in over two years I've been using it. It's great. Cadence feature works beautifully, although the sensor magnet came off the crank arm after repeated wet weather riding. Reattached with some 3M double sided tape. The instructions were pretty good. Could not ask for a better cycle computer in my opinion.

Cateye 'Astrale' Sigma BC 800

[Apr 26, 2005]
    wolfprime

OVERALL
    Strength:

Fits oversized bars Installation is fairly straightforward Inexpensive

Provided directions are very poor Cadence didn't function on my unit I didn't like the feel of the buttons Button presses seemed unintuitive to me (holding vs single press etc)

I bought this computer purely for the cadence feature. I already had an inexpensive computer, but it lacked cadence so I thought this would be a good upgrade. Wrong. I could never get the cadence to work. Everything else worked, but even the cheapest computers provide those features these days.

Cateye, Planet Bike

[Feb 25, 2004]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Cadence, cadence, cadence.

Install instructions, small buttons, screen size.

I purchased the RT77 a couple of days ago and set about installing it. My comments here are purely about installation and are offered only for first-time cyclocomputer buyers/installers. Here goes. . . The RT comes with instructions which are reasonably clear as to the use and controls of the computer. Where the instructions fall down dramatically is on intallation/wiring of the device. There are no instructions or diagrams on clean routing of the cadence cable. Without having installed 3 cyclocomputers in the past, I would have been at a total loss as to how to run the cadence cable properly. If you are installing your first cyclocomputer, expect to pay a bike shop to install it for you--which changes the economics of your purchase significantly. All of the preceding said, once the computer was on the bike, it worked well. As other users have said here already, the buttons and screen could be larger, but for $29, I am happy with the performance of the RT77 thus far.

Cateye Astrale, older Cateye products.

[Jul 06, 2003]
    medellin

OVERALL
    Strength:

Cadence Easy to read display

Sometimes I struggle to reset the daily odometer

Down here is pretty dry, BUT I've been caught on the road raining, and the unit has worked as before. I like the cadence option. It has been now in two road bikes, I'd to add a piece of cable to mount the speed sensor on the rear wheel (trainer blues), no problems either there. Very pleased with it.

Specialized Vetta RT 55

[Jul 01, 2003]
    davidb928
    Weekend Warrior

Strength:

Abysmal quality control. Will never buy Vetta again, despite all the hype about the V100.

A piece of unadulterated crap. Worked fine for first week, then wire to candence mount broke when I pressed on it lightly. Then I rode it in the rain. Fagetaboutit! Never worked right again. Tomorrow I am going to enjoy cutting it off my bike and replacing it with a Sigma 1200.

Cateye (great electronics, overly complicated wiring harness)

[Apr 25, 2003]
    jascott100

OVERALL
    Strength:

Cheaper than others (with cadence option). But since you have to replace it every year, the value rating is low.

It's cheap (you get what you pay for).

I agree with some of the negative comments posted here. I've had many problems with this computer. At first, everything was great. After about 6 mos. (and one ride in the rain), the speedometer was never the same. Sometimes the reading was there, sometimes it wasn't. Other times, the readings were all over the place. I assumed that the sensors were dirty, so I cleaned them. No luck. Then I figured that I didn't install it correctly. I played with the sensor/magnet, but it only worked for about 10 miles. On my last ride, I noticed that my cadence readings aren't working properly anymore (after a year of using it). I jumped off, cleaned the sensors, and rode on. They were on again, off again. I am actually looking for a RELIABLE computer now, that it how I came across these reviews. I don't know if other computers have similar problems, but I resent paying $35 for computer that doesn't last longer than a year. Yes, I've put lots of miles on this thing in a year, and I did ride it in the rain (once), but come on. After reading the other reviews, I am convinced that the rain ate my computer. I never had problems before, and I started having them while I was riding in the rain. My advice, don't buy this one unless you like having an excuse to buy the latest and greatest every year.

Cateye

[Dec 30, 2002]
    scottfromcali

OVERALL

Doesnt come in wireless, hate wires running all over my bike. With 20/20 vision its still takes me a few seconds to make out the readings.

Its not a bad unit it serves its propose well. It doesnt overly impress me, I like most features on it but it never surprizes me that companies dont take more time to make them more user friendly. Why is it we have to hold the left button down for 5 secs? to see what avg cadence is? Terrible. Why couldnt one button go up in the menu and the other go down?

Cateye

[Dec 19, 2002]
    Rudy Robaina

OVERALL
    Strength:

several capabilities

Difficult to press buttons One button dominance no back light Difficult to use every aspect

I works decent. A few times I notice that it reads 1.7mph when sitting by itself??? But no apparent problems while riding. The cadence counting is good. Kind of difficult to get cadence average. Left button does practically nothing. Computer would be better if left button brought you to one option and right brought you to previous. I also got used to a light. Although no harnace problems like I read in previous reviews.

Topeak Panoram

[Jul 22, 2002]
    spinjunkie

OVERALL
    Strength:

Simple, Cheap

Intereference w/ OH lines

The 77 has been performing admirably for the past 6 months. The cadence function is really the only function I use while I am on the bike. All of my workouts are done by time, and I use my HR monitor for that function. The one annoying thing is that the 77 will cut out due to interference from overhead powerlines. It took me awhile to figure that one out. Can't speak of the resistance to H2O because we are in the driest summer here on record in Colorado.

Campy ergo brain, Flite Deck

[May 01, 2002]
    AtHomeDad

OVERALL
    Strength:

Cadence function

Small display

Overall not bad. Setup is fairly easy. I have had no problems even in the rain.

Various