Vetta RT88 Computers

• USER REVIEWS

[Oct 07, 2014]
    Art Struss

OVERALL
    Strength:

It was relatively easy to setup and use. I have enjoyed using it. I have a copy of the instructions if you need them.

It would be nice if it started by itself when you started peddling.

I have made a pdf file of the instructions. They also cover the RT33, RT55 and RT77. E-mail me if you need a copy of the instructions.

[Jul 03, 2007]
    Iyad Abbas

OVERALL

Only works for 6 months (both units I bought)

I bought 2 of these and they are both dead. They worked great for the first 6 months, then started failing giving erroneous readings. Replaced battery twice in 3 months.

I am going back to a wired setup

Cateye (I am going back to Cateye)

[Mar 04, 2006]
    kelebike

OVERALL
    Strength:

For the money a pretty good unit.

No auto resume, have to manually start after taking a rest. Small display, hard to read in some conditions.

Easy clean setup. No wires in the way.Followed the directions for installation and use and have had no major problems so far.

Trek

[Nov 10, 2005]
    ga_mueller

OVERALL
    Strength:

Met all my expectations. Don't understand/cannot explain some of the bad reviews this unit has.

Does not turn on automatically, and turns itself off after 5 minutes of inactivity. Transmitter battery only lasted 6 months. Giving 4 instead of 5 overall because of these items.

This unit was installed by LBS, so I cannot comment on that. Has operated perfectly for 6 months. Easy to use, accurate, small but legible display, no issues.

[Aug 01, 2005]
    sichang

OVERALL
    Strength:

Small and out of sight. Clear and very readable display. Nice looking exterior unit. Despite what others have said - easy installation and clear instructions.

Only weakness is that you have to manually restart the computer.

I too am at a loss about any negative reviews. I suppose I am pretty technically proficient when it comes to putting things together and installing things but frankly the installation process with the RT88 was so simple and straight forward, I find it shocking that anyone could have a problem installing it. The key is that there needs to be a relatively small gap between the fork mount and the magnet. This is easily accomplished by attaching the fork mount sensor with the zip ties but not tightening them all the way and the same for the spoke magnet. Then shift the spoke magnet up on your spoke progressively higher until it meets the fork sensor. First time I did it, I wasn't getting a reading so I simply pushed the fork sensor slightly inward so that the gap between the unit and the magnet lessened and presto - it worked and has worked perfectly ever since. It certainly beats having a bunch of wires everywhere. Also the fact that I paid $15 for it on ebay - really can't complain about anything.

[Jan 25, 2005]
    ChiFlyer

OVERALL
    Strength:

Easy set up for me, never had a problem at all.

I haven't found one yet.

I guess I am at a loss as well for all the negative reviews...I put this on my roadbike in about 10 minutes and it has worked perfectly ever since other than just a battery change. For the type of riding I do it has more than enough features, many I don't ordinarly use except for century rides where actual ride time and total elapsed time is nice to see. I had this unit on one bike and bought a new bike early 2004, and switching it over was seamless.

Cateye and Vetta

[Sep 07, 2003]
    Fred Brown

OVERALL
    Strength:

Good looking. No wires. Easy to follow instructions.

Computer clamp screw provided is way too small for my Cinelli handlebars. A parallel gap between spoke magnet of 1.5mm and transmitter is impossbile to achieve. Setup according to instructions leaves a gap of 1 cm ! The transmitter clamp should have been better designed to account for variances between different types of forks.

What types of forks/wheelsets was this unit designed for ??? I have followed the instructions as laid out by the manufacturer yet there is no way I can achieve the required gap of 1.5mm between the spoke magnet and transmitter. Does this unit work ? I have no idea. What a poorly designed setup. It is going straight back. I'll stick to the "standard" bike computers from now on. 1 star because it looks good.

Cateye computers. Both of which suffered from moisture problems during rains.

[May 29, 2003]
    mahughesnh
    Weekend Warrior

OVERALL
    Strength:

Small but legible display, easy to install, easy to setup, reliable readings.

No cadence measurement but I knew that before I bought it, no auto start.

Good product, works as advertised. I don't understand some of the reviews posted as I have had no trouble with it at all. Installation was a snap, done in about 10 minutes. Then I was off for a ride and it worked perfectly. And has continued to work perfectly over the last three weeks. I was familiar with the Vetta line since I owned the RT77. But I wanted wireless on my new bike so I bought the RT88. It has not disappointed me at all.

Vetta RT77

[May 26, 2003]
    John Lukasik
    Racer

OVERALL
    Strength:

Accurate readings all the time and quick response to rate of speed.

plastic cover on speedometer gets scrated sometimes nothing big. Vetta should make replaceable covers.

Rt88 vetta wireless with outstanding results.

specialized comp(style)

[Dec 19, 2002]
    Old Bones
    Cross Country Rider

OVERALL
    Strength:

Clean look; no wires. Got a good deal from the LBS.

Doesn't automatically turn on; need to push buttons. Turns off after a couple of minutes if one takes a break. Buttons could be bigger (too much emphasis on stylish contours. The computer seems to rack up miles while the bike is hanging in my basement. I haven't figured out what appliance in my house is setting off the computer.

Got the Vetta on the recommendation of a trustworthy road racer/salesguy at my local LBS. Sorry it doesn't have a cadence feature, but hey, I knew that when I bought it. It's been trouble free in weather from 40 to 100. Didn't have any setup or operational problems

Vetta C-15, Cateye MITY