Vetta Vetta V100 Altitude Computers

Vetta Vetta V100 Altitude

[Feb 02, 2011]
Scott P

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to use, tons of info, seems to be accurate.

Only available wireless. And the wireless stuff is marginal at best.

A few years back, I was looking for a computer with cadence AND altimiter. Bought a Specialized, it pooped out after a few months and they'd already discontinued it. The V100A was the only replacement option at the time, and it's turned out to be a good one, with one caveat: ditch the wireless stuff immediately and go wired. My first wireless speed sensor died after one (!) ride in the rain. Vetta replaced it, but I just don't trust 'em any more. The wired setup may not look as tidy, or be as "bling", but it works, and doesn't burn thru batteries like the wireless. As far as the computer itself, I've had zero problems and everything seems to be plenty accurate. Yeah, the operating processes take some getting used to if, like me, you're a life-long Cateye user, but it does become second nature. My one continuing nitpick is with the altimeter reset: if you do that BEFORE the t/s/d reset, you lose everything and it won't record altitude info. But that's kinda like ragging on Subaru because their cupholders block the radio. Overall, an excellent unit. Just wish it was available wired from the get-go.

Various Cateye, Avocet and Specialized.

[Jun 17, 2009]
Bri

OVERALL

Great for cadence and telling time, but resetting it is a pain. The manual isn't clear on this, at least not to me, each time I do get it right, it feels like a small victory. Besides that seems to work as promised.

[Oct 10, 2008]
carbonframehuman

OVERALL
Strength:

nice array of functions

unreliable, and short battery life

The Vetta V100HR is the sister unit to the V100A, with a heart rate monitor instead of the altimeter. When the unit is working it is a nice computer, but it is notoriously unreliable. If any one of the batteries (head unit, fork transmitter, cadence transmitter) is the least bit weak, the unit will display only time. And the V100HR eats batteries like Colonel Sanders eats fried chicken. On a recent morning with temperature in the 50's, even brand new batteries in the fork transmitter and the head unit couldn't keep the display going for more than 30 miles. I've given up on Vetta and will replace this with a Cateye... an earlier Astrale worked anytime it wasn't raining.
The new model that has superceded the V100HR has a low battery indicator for the two transmitter units. That's a slight improvement, but what is really needed is less battery draw, or ownership of a Batteries Plus franchise.

[Aug 06, 2008]
Len Lewis

OVERALL
Strength:

None.

Poor quality

My first unit stopped working in the first season of use, after its first exposure to rain. Vetta replaced it with a new unit under warranty. The second unit lasted about 3 months, and stopped working without even being exposed to rain. I'm with the earlier reviewer who will never buy a Vetta again. Their customer service was fine, but their product is crap.

[Aug 06, 2008]
Len Lewis

OVERALL
Strength:

None.

Poor quality

[Jan 02, 2007]

OVERALL
Strength:

Many features.

Features don't matter if it doesn't work. Short life-span. Too expensive.

Because of this computer's performance, I will never again consider buying any product with the brand "Vetta" on it. The manual wasn't clear and the computer interface wasn't user-friendly. Only after two months did it break in the middle of Iowa. Everything went dead. The batteries still worked because I could reset the computer back to my specifications but it reset itself after every couple of minutes. Eventually, the only working component was the clock. Never again will I buy Vetta. Spend $30 on a nice CatEye and forget about knowing the grade of the hills and the temperature.

CatEye computers

[Aug 14, 2006]

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy set up. Stops calculating speed, etc, when the bike stops, & starts again automatically. FANTASTIC customer service.

Wireless drains batteries. While Customer Service is great, BE SURE to purchase from a dealer with warranty & avoid repair costs.

Set up was a snap, & all the features worked like a charm. After 6 months, the speed sensor stopped functioning, but Customer Service had a new one to me immediately. I appreciate the cadence and speed displays on the same screen. The thermometer can vary wildly depending on if it's in my shade or not, but it's not essential.

Sigma, Polar

[Jun 05, 2006]

OVERALL
Strength:

Altimeter is entertaining, if unreliable. Feature rich unit.

Barometer-based altimeter. Would be nice if they could come up with a GPS-based unit. It was a little tricky to learn at first.

This is a feature-rich unit in a sparse field of computers with cadence. I don't know why more people aren't interested in cadence, but it is what keeps me sane when I ride.

I would recomend this unit. It has worked well for 2 seasons.

Cateye Astrale

[Sep 19, 2005]

OVERALL
Strength:

Pretty good system for the money, compared to whats out there. The customer service has proven good as they sent me more tiewraps.

Biggest weakness is the units tendency to display high heart rates (190-214) at speeds in excess of 21 mph . As these speeds are mostly downhill there's no question the data is bogus. I have seen this problem reported on other reviews. It must be a software glitch. I have returned the unit and am awaiting a response.

This is a review of a Vetta V100HR wireless heart rate moniter/cyclometer. Installation was fairly easy but Vetta should include three times as many tie straps (they include 5) as I had to experiment a bit with placement. They should have also included magnetic target sensors for both standard and bladed spokes.

[Aug 14, 2005]

OVERALL
Strength:

Wireless, easy to install, and many options.

Not really easy to work with, but you’ll get used to it in no time.

I wanted to try a wireless computer cuz i just wanted a change. For the price I paid for, I believe that its a fairly good computer, a bit slow but not as slow as my old sigma.

sigma