Garmin Edge 305 Heart Rate Monitors

Take your ride to the next level with the Edge 305 - Garmin's GPS-enabled, personal trainer and cycle computer. From competitive road racing to mountain biking, the cyclist-friendly, lightweight Edge will help you achieve your personal best. With the easy-to-use Edge 305 on your bike, you'll always know where you're going and how far you've gone.

For advanced cyclists, the Edge 305 comes packaged with a heart rate monitor and/or wireless speed/pedaling cadence sensor to provide valuable feedback. In addition, the Edge 305 incorporates a barometric altimeter for extremely accurate elevation and vertical profile data. Recreational cyclists looking for the perfect touring companion and fitness partner will love the Edge 205.

The Edge 305 has the ability to measure pedaling cadence, heart rate, speed, distance, time, calories burned, altitude, climb and descent, plus much more.

[Nov 14, 2010]
Deltadawg

OVERALL
Strength:

Simple and reliable.

None this time around!

I had the first one for about 2 months before it decided to take a dump on me; it quit powering up. I sent it to Garmin and they gave me a brand new one - no questions asked. I've had this one now for almost a year and it is rock solid. Everything works great and does exactly what I need it to. It's also great for MTBking because it remembers your course then when you want to do it again or e-mail the course to your friend, he/ she can easily follow it. I'd buy another one if I had to. I have friends with the road map models, but they claim they never use the road maps nor terrain.

polar 300 cad

[Sep 05, 2010]
Dan Hylands

OVERALL
Strength:

lots of info. sharing wiyh other users helpful. getting ride out of town good info.

battery life at first ok now seems to be less (4yrs old.)

Ive had this 305 since june of 2006 learning curve on it was some work after that, lots of good info. tracking rides and sharing rides very good.

mavic

[Aug 15, 2010]
ralph plaza

OVERALL
Strength:

Great info in details with your performance

Sometimes won't communicate with satellites.

Great computer when it works but totally unreliable!!!!! Sometimes won't communicate with satellites.

[Aug 02, 2010]
Jon H. Lutz

OVERALL
Strength:

Love the concept, especially the heart rate mapped against grade and speed.

Totally unreliable. I'm on my third replacement after warrenty and at $90 a pop to have repaired its just not worth it.

All of the bad points made in the other reviews apply.

Shimano Flight Deck that I use in conjunction with the Edge 305

[Jul 02, 2010]
ddallam

OVERALL
Strength:

None that can't also be done with mapmyride.com for free.

Short battery life, flimsy mount, unreliable PC connection, small display

Worst bike accessory spend ever, and that was with a great deal! The display is too small to read while cycling, the latch that hold the unit onto its mount breaks off easily, and the interconnection to both the Mac and the PC is unreliable and inconsistent. Batteries aren't removable, and the charge doesn't hold for more than one ride. Plus, when compared to others with the same device on the same ride, the mileage distance is inconsistent. How can that happen?

[Jul 02, 2010]
Marvin Schwinder

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to read. Customize settings to your preference. Produces record of your ride time, heart rate, climb - good for training. Ascent / descent function very useful. so is % grade. Great when it works.

Totally unreliable. Maybe I just got a lemon, but the replacement unit turned out to be just as bad. Would never buy this again. What good is great technology if it doesn't work?

Unreliable. Avoid this product. My warranty replacement unit has now failed. Two 305s dead within 18 months. Some days it works fine, other times it does not find the satelittes, even in clear weather sitting still for 10 minutes, making it totally useless. The excellent features are totally offset by it's lack of dependability. Don't disconnect your old computer - you'll need it when this one craps out on you.

Cateye Astrale, Shimano Flight Deck

[May 10, 2010]
Paul

OVERALL
Strength:

Multiple functions. An excellent tool when reliable.

Very expensive. Not reliable. Based on my experience, and that of other reviewers, it seems that the product is not yet perfected.

The unit shuts down occasionally whenever riding on rough road, due to vibration. I'd love to rate it higher, but its just not that reliable.

[May 10, 2010]
joetrotter

OVERALL
Strength:

excellent software
great functions

-hardware is EXTREMELY suceptable to vaibrations

I've had an edge 305 for about eighteen months. I'm on pace to ride about 7000 miles this year. I'm on my third Garmin 305. They have all failed. The first was under warranty, the second quit locating satellites and cost me $79 for a refurbed unit. After about two months, it now suddenly loses the connection with the heart rate monitor. You have to turn it off and back on to get it to work. It's happening about once every 10 minutes now. Very unaceptable!! I'm waiting to hear form Garmin. Will write again when they respond and probably rerate.

[Apr 01, 2010]
Justinian Hatfield

OVERALL
Strength:

Ability to track and upload data to other sites.
Virtual partner for solo training
Spot-on GPS, speed and distance tracking
Nice to see grades of hills
Works with Macs

UI is kinda clunky
Would like to have another Bike Computer Screen
Some functions are hard to set up

I knew as soon as I saw my cycling friend's Garmin 305s that I needed one.

I love all the data that I get and I really like the ability to upload that data to sites like MapMyRide.com. I also like that Garmin is now supporting Macs.

During the off season, I really like that I can track my mileage while on an indoor trainer.

The GPS has been spot on as has the speed and distance readings. I really like being able to see how steep a gnarly hill ends up being, using the device's Grade feature.

Having a heart rate monitor attached to the device is a great tool as well.

I'm writing more detailed reviews of each of the functions of the garmin at http://justinianhatfield.com/category/bikes/garmin

[Mar 31, 2010]
bikinggeek

OVERALL
Strength:

GPS tracks, training analysis, flexible display

susceptible to vibration, either turning the unit off or losing the wireless connection to heart rate and cadence.

The Garmin 305 has been more fragile than other bike computers I have owned. I ride 5000 miles/year and the Garmin 305 has proven to be susceptible to vibration that the other 3 wireless computers I have had. While the Garmin does have more features, if it is sold as a road/trail/commuter bike computer it should handle the vibration better.

Cateye, Sigma, Vetta