Nike hrm[triax Heart Rate Monitors

· Graphic display accuracy · Ergonomic transmitter · Durable wrist unit · 2 programmable training zones

[Jan 29, 2005]
speedfreak1

OVERALL
Strength:

Nike quality. Easy to use. Very reliable. Like anything else we buy, the manufacturer knows more about their product than we do so READ THE MANUAL!! There is some helpful data to be reviewed after your workout.

Offset strap & rotated display face.

I'm describing the Triax C8. This HRM/watch has worked perfect every time I've used it. I've never worn the transmitter any other way than with Nike logo right-side-up, so I don't know if the other way makes a difference. As far as wetting the under side of the strap, if you do that, it always works. But there have been many cold mornings when I didn't want to do that & it worked fine dry anyway. Ocassionally if you don't get a HR reading, cycle through the modes (bottom left hand button) back to the RUN mode & you should get an HR reading then. Being a cyclist, I like the handlebar "doughnut" that comes with it. I don't like the offset strap design & rotated display position, however. The feature I like the most is the LAP TIMER. I have a 10.5 mile loop that I do & being able to recall the times & avg. HR per lap (3 or 4 laps per training ride) helps me stay motived on those final laps. Also, the total time in, above & below your specific HR range is great info, also. I've only used this for 6 months, so i can't comment about battery life other than to say the original batteries still work fine.

No other HRMs

[Aug 12, 2003]
John

OVERALL
Strength:

easy to use,looks good, the graph seemed a great idea & was part of the reason for this purchase but didnt find it that useful.good price for features

metal cover fell off within a month,fixed under warranty. after 22 months, part of strap came off ,light doesnt work ,case looking suspect re crack. to fix will cost NZ$250. have only used as day watch,HRM for running/cycling

I like the watch/hrm but.... beside weaknesses below it uses batteries faster than I expected. The chest strap doesnt work reliably on the female body

Now have a Polar.Nike was first HRM and will be last Nike

[Jun 22, 2003]
Jess
Weekend Warrior

OVERALL
Strength:

Function, user friendliness, and looks!!!

Kinda pricey at 90 bucks but it is a name brand and looks really nice.

I've read the many reviews about the nike hrm's and they have certainly mixed reviews. I have a triax inspire. I think it's the base model and may be discontinued now. I love it. It works all the time. I must admit in the beginning I was starting to think some of these reviewers knew what they were talking about but as I learned it was I that was doing something wrong. First you have to wet the back of the strap/monitor on your chest. Secondly, you have to put the strap on correctly. It cannot be upside down or you will get erratic and inaccurate readings. Once I actually read the manual I learned about the water on the strap. The manual did not mention anything about wearing in correctly though. I woke up one early morning and put the strap on my chest with the nike symbol upside down. My whole reading was erratic and sometimes it would lose reading. I was sure that my watch sucked but then I noticed i had it upside down. I didn't think this would hinder it's performance but it did. So if you are having problems with yours I would suggest you try both of these fixes before you take it back. Also, read you manuals! Excellent product and it sure does look alot better than those expensive Polars and all those other "high end, pro" hrm's.

[Apr 11, 2003]
Arturo Chang

OVERALL
Strength:

Good looking easy to read specially when you´re riding, easy to use and heart rate monitor gives accurate readings.

Wrist wrap looks weak

I´ve read negative comments about this but it works for me and Polar models are too expensive.

[Jan 09, 2003]
Will

OVERALL
Strength:

Large display, very stylish, easy to use, and price.

I wish the the hear rate that is dispalyed when the watch is in chrono mode was bigger...that is one feature that Polar has that i miss.

I received the Trix 100 hrm from my girlfriend for xmas, and at this time I have no issues with it's performance. My local running shop sells both Polar and Nike hrm's, and i did hear that when Nike first came out two years ago with hrm's, they had quality issues. But , the guys and gals at my shop told me that they have not had any complaints or returns lately. Infact many who work there prefer the Triax hrm to Polar based on style and simplicity. I have owned two Polar's in the past and i do prefer the simplicity of the Triax.

Polar Protrainer XT, Polar M52

[Oct 18, 2002]
RP

OVERALL
Strength:

Sharp-handy features

Have not found any yet.

No problems like the rest seem to have. And I still haven't replaced the batteries. I sounds like a bad batch of these units got out in the market. I bike and run with this monitor frequently it's still working like a charm. Maybe mine was made on a Tuesday:) and the rest on Friday:(

[Aug 16, 2002]
off242

OVERALL
Strength:

Style -- big time. Not other HRM I've found looks as functionally sharp as the HRM[Triax. Display is very clear in every angle, and, yes, the HR is displayed while in the chronograph mode. Dual time displays, for multiple time zones, would be nice, but for $99, it's hard to beat, feature or style-wise.

Included documentation is a bit weak, especially in trying to figure out average HR (to do this, you must use the chronograph; once stopped, elapsed time, average HR, and time in HR zone will be displayed). Another weakness, though not so much with the product itself, is replacement parts. Nike contracts through some company who charges outlandish fees for replacement stuff (if your xmitter needs replacing, the Polar non-coded xmitter works just fine).

Great product at a great price. I'm not sure what the other reviewers were smoking when they wrote their respective pieces, not to mention some of the features described don't go with this model, but mine has worked fabulously well in all conditions for over a year now.

Oregon Scientific something or other. I just remember it was orange and a pain in the arse to use. Its documentation was worse than that with the Nike.

[Jun 04, 2002]
lktool

OVERALL
Strength:

It has excellent functions that are easy to use and provide good data.

It doesn't work.

I have had this thing for over a year and it has been in working condition for less than half of that time. I have had the chest transmitter replaced four times and the watch itself has failed twice. I'm giving it a two value rating on the off chance that my last replacement (my warranty is up) will last longer than two months.

[Jan 08, 2002]
Jeff

OVERALL
Strength:

features, price

quality is very bad based on my experience and every other review here (as of my post).

after extensive research, decided to go with this HRM hoping that quality issues had been resolved (read the other reviews here). about 4 hours after buying the watch, while holding down the light button, the watch made a high pitched squealing sound, the display went blank, then it came back with garbled graphics and text. a friend came by to see it, pressed a single button and the squealing and display blanking happened but never stopped. i took it back within 30 minutes, still squealing. never got a chance to test the hrm features. i gave the value rating a 4 because if it did work, i think it would be a great value.

Sports Instruments SI 90 HR (girlfriend''s), Polar S710 (replacement for the nike)