Polar CS600 Heart Rate Monitors

The Polar CS600 wireless heart rate monitor bicycle computer is for both the professional cyclist and for the cyclist who wants to ride with the best. The Polar CS600 with the Wireless Polar speed sensor W.I.N.D is the market’s most complete cycling system to plan, monitor and analyze your training.

[Jun 03, 2010]
scomer

Strength:

Complexity, lack of functionality, the company making it and their lack of product support.

Mentioned this in my review of the CS100 which failed at first battery change. The complexity of the CS600 installation required taking it to a shop (note: I am an UBI certified mechanic). The discovered the unit was defective; Polar would only "repair" the defective unit. After $240 of installation costs the unit sporadically worked for 2 months then the power function (the reason for spending all that money) went away entirely. Buy a Powertap. BTW, I will never, ever, spend another dime on a Polar product.

Powertap hub--ridden on a friend's bike. Functions flawlessly--money well spent.

[Mar 08, 2010]
audiphile

OVERALL
Strength:

Consistent power readings
Well laid out CPU display
Easy and troublefree install

Infrared data communication for PC download

Bought this unit to replace my aging S725x and to begin using power in my workouts. Was a bit hesitant to try the unit due to some of the complaints about installation hassles and complications, but had the unit installed in ~15 minutes and have not had any real issues with interference or dropped signals.

While I do not have a powertap or other power measuring device to determine accuracy of the unit, what I have found is that it is at least very consistent. For me, consistency is crucial, while accuracy doesn't matter too much unless you are trying to compare your FTP to someone else. The ability to now monitor my power on a consistent basis has helped significantly through the offseason to understand my ability to pace myself through the upcoming races this season.

The CPU itself is laid out nicely with all of the key information easily accessible on the screen and I find that I usually have HR, speed, power and cadence displayed at the same time. Other variations are available, but those are the things I reference most often on a ride.

Polar S725x

[Apr 09, 2009]
jim_reed

OVERALL
Strength:

HR, Cadence, Speed & power. It's all there. Best part: the bundled Polar Pro Trainer software. You can build your training plan(workout) and load it on the unit for use during your ride. Pick what performance aspects you want to focus on, and program it. It's the only power meter available with this type of software interface. The others only let you review your data after the workout. While the power data may not be as accurate as the big boys, it's consistent.

The interface is difficult to work with. Manuals are terrible. Be careful what you tell the software to tell your Polar unit to do.

I bought this product for the price; it's an entry-level power meter for the recreational cyclist that wants to track power.

Initial setup was a little confusing, being that Polar documentation leaves a lot to be desired. But once set up, it worked fine.

Yes, I know, the accuracy is not the best.

None, but lots of research before, during and after purchase of this unit. I've looked at upgrading to the PowerTap, and the Quarq is very interesting.

[Oct 10, 2008]
bill

OVERALL
Strength:

The data are useful -- I particularly like the altimeter information. I don't invest a great deal of confidence in the accuracy of the altimeter, but the profile at least shows where on the course you are.
My power tap now pretty much stays on my indoor bike (where the Polar apparently will not work well).

Some of the bells and whistles are, to me, beside the point, with more gee whiz factor than actual value (left-right pedaling?). But I continue to learn about the features, and some may have more use than I am giving them credit for.
It's also not as sensitive as the Powertap. Peak accelerations particularly are inaccurately reported. But, over time, which is the chief value of a power meter -- as a tool to gauge effort for endurance -- it is at least as accurate. The spikes in the power tap can be just noise.

I wanted to try as an alternative to the Powertap. I have a training rig set-up with a Powertap hub, but I found not only that changing the wheel for different bikes was too inconvenient but I missed power data from my racing wheels.

My first go-round was not encouraging. The power signal was intermittent. I called Polar, though, and they sort of kind of acknowledged that earlier generations had a connection problem and sent me a new power unit.

I now have the CS600 set up for three bikes, and I am very happy with it. I probably will get another one for my TT bike (you can only set up three bikes on each CPU), because I want to use it with my Zipp disc.

Power Tap
Other Polar HRM's

[Sep 04, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

Small, easy to navigate, accurate readings, instant incline/decline readings, adjustable screen displays (5 of 6), easy to upload to computer, plenty of information about nearly everything.

Backlight a little too dim for night rides (you can see it but you have to stare at it for a sec or two!), no gps, no wind speed. The included Polar ProTrainer software is a little buggy but does a nice job with graphs and readouts.

So far this computer is everything I expected and more. It does a real good job with altitude/ascent readings. It also hasn't taken long to dial it in (I previously owned a CS200CAD). I don't have the power option but I may add that later. If your looking for something small and powerful, this is the computer.

CS200cad

[Aug 18, 2008]
Dctrofspin

OVERALL
Strength:

Great computer
Power readings are good when they're there.

Power unit is a joke...no help from Polar to make it work

This is for the CS600 With power. If you've done any research, you know this thing has been plagued with glitches in getting a steady readout from the power unit. After having two power transmitters, having spent untold hours fiddling, aligning, praying for this thing to work conistently, it's a BUST. This is a terrible design that is great when it's working, but that's less than 30 percent of the time in my experience. The computer itself is brilliant with great readouts, nice features and great reliability. But I had that in my Polar CS200 for 120.00.

Powertap SL on Zipp 404s.

[Jun 18, 2008]
Jason Hamm

OVERALL
Strength:

Accurate, Fast Refresh rate, Can mount speed sensor on back wheel for trainer use now, Universal mount can mount on stem or Handle bars

Slightly limited with what information can be displayed at one time, Price but worth it,

I have to say that this unit is a great unit. The refresh rate between the speed sensor, Cadence Sensor and the chest strap is like instant with no delay. I was able to mount the speed sensor on the back wheel now instead of just the front that's a great feature if you use a trainer. I previously owned a Polar S725 which is a nice unit the CS600 has a lot more great features and actually displays more information on the screen. You are limited to what you can view on one screen at a timw and you can only adjust your screen layouts from the computer but that is not a big issue. All in all I have to say this is a great unit and I would highly recommend it

Polar S710, Polar S725, Garmin Edge 305

[Apr 05, 2008]
roadcx

OVERALL
Strength:

Data recording with great software... improved interference rejection for speed/cadence sensors (W.I.N.D.). Multi-bike setup.

Occasional issues with HRM part. Displays can only be setup on the computer. When first using a new sensor it doesn't always work...this problem goes away quickly, however.

Bought this as an upgrade to my Polar S720 watch... I haven't had any issues with this product except for occasional issues with the HR portion reading high. (I have similar issues with the completely different S720 setup). The Polar Perf. Software and IR connectivity are excellent. The data recording of speed/distance, cadence, and altitude versus time is very useful for post-ride/race review.

Polar S720i, other computers over the years (non-HRM, non-recording). Polar S210 (just HRM)