Polar S725 Heart Rate Monitors

The S725 takes our most popular cycling computer to the next level. The S725 has a sleek carbon fiber look, and a few cool new features. Now you can set your target zones as a % of your max. Download performance data to the Nokia 5140 cell phone for instant feedback, and even send your file to a friend. Finally, spending hours on the bike has never been this comfortable. The new WearLink™ coded transmitter comes standard with every S725. Made from a soft fabric material, the WearLink™ transmitter will contour to your body’s every curve.

[Mar 12, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

Power sensor
Speed sensor
New Wearlink All work very good

No autostart. I miss it:(
Having to wash the new style belt ALOT

The S725x is an excellent model. I have been a fan of Polar products for about 6 years and have had many different models and brands. I will be a loyal fan of Polar for a few reasons. 1: Their customer support is GREAT and has improved leaps and bounds this past year. 2: Their products are GREAT and if they do fail Polar stands behind them.

Garmin, Suunto, Cateye

[Feb 28, 2008]

OVERALL

I purchased this item to track my progress with my computer. I do not have an internal irda and cannot find an external product that works with vista. Over the last 3 weeks I have sent multiple requests to Polar for a suggestion on how to fix this or get some data into my machine. To date I have received two e-mails saying that they are busy and they will get back to me. I would suggest that you do not purchase high end products from Polar they have no customer service! There heart rate monitors are great on the low end that is worth $80 but other than basic units stay away from this company.

[Feb 12, 2008]
User714

OVERALL
Strength:

accurate heart monitor. other than that nothing

Customer service, if you can get any, is terrible. It took them 3 weeks to get my unit back to me and when they send my unit backs, they forget to send my speed sensor. They said it was a new unit they replace it with but the smell of human perspiration and scratches on the screen of the unit say otherwise.

The S725X pickups every interference there is to pick up. This is the second replacement by polar and it is having the same issue that the first unit was having. The product just does not work if it can’t give you an accurate speed reading. I am constantly taking out spike on the graphical representation of the data. I tried different speed sensor for my model and it still did not make a difference. I tried placing the speed sensor in a different location and it still did not work. Polar customer service advices me that is one of their best product. If that is the case, you will never get me to buy polar again. There is something wrong with these inflated reviews of this product because the product is junk. I read all the bad reviews for this product but I bought it any way thinking that it is the user.

Cateye, polar cs200( much better unit and much cheaper)

[Dec 26, 2007]
Tom

OVERALL
Strength:

It works ok, about 85 to 90 percent of the time, the 10 percent will drive you carzy and through your averages way off.

Its a Polar, if you have a problem god help you cause they will not.

The product itself works ok, it picks up lots of interference and gives off the chart reading fairly ofter. Also Polar is a terrible company to do business with, I'm supprised when you hit the help key a large middle finger doesn't just pop up. They have the worst customer service and don't support their products.

Power Tap (good so far)
Sigma (not as nice but their support was first class)
CardoSport (so-so if you can get it cheap not bad)

[Aug 07, 2007]
larryal9

OVERALL
Strength:

The 725's HR transmitter/receiver seem better at not picking up the wrong signals.

Having no autostart feature. It is so easy to forget to hit the start button a 2nd time.

Poor design. No autostart feature. You have to remember to hit the red button a 2nd time before you begin your ride or it doesn't record. That's right. You hit the button once and it will be reading your HR, power, cadence, etc. but just not recording it. You must hit the button a 2nd time for the recording to happen. Worst of all, if you aren't looking at the right display (i.e, the stopwatch), you have no idea that it's not recording.

Polar s720i

[Feb 05, 2007]
Bill

OVERALL
Strength:

clear easy to read, able to program and track upto 5 different workouts a day. I even use it during wieghtlifting to track heartrate and give an idea of calories used. The Polar software is fun to use but don't expect any real hardcore science out of it.

You have to get use to the chest strap. It is not very intuative and takes sometime to get use to, READ THE MANNUAL. Foot pod is expensive, $100.00, the bike sensor tends to lose signal, but not enough to really matter.

Great features, lots of options, good for the serious trialete or fitness buff, dual capibilities with cycling and running features, Pola software is fun and makes tracking your workouts easy

Polar M32

[Mar 17, 2006]
trainCatcher

OVERALL
Strength:

-wealth of data to record
-recording capabilities
-lack of missed readings (once transmitters are oriented correctly)

-price
-software leaves something to be desired

The S725X has performed flawlessly and is packed with features for cycling aficionados. The unit continuously reads and can store heart rate, speed, elevation, cadence (optional, which I use), and power (optional, do not own). I have not had any problems with missed readings or interference of the wireless measurements, once the transmitters were set up as diagrammed in the manuals. The heart rate monitor is coded and even works close to power lines, in contrast to the uncoded monitor I used previously.

The recording features are more than sufficient. The unit can sample at 5,15, or 60 sec intervals, allowing for 8 hours of recording time if HR, speed, elevation, and cadence are all being stored every 5 seconds. Contrary to previous reviews, I do not miss the autostart feature since stops and starts can be accounted for in the software.

The Polar analysis software is adequate for reviewing your rides and effort levels, but insufficient for extracting more sophisticed information, such as optimal cadence, HR, etc., from unstructured training rides. Such analysis can be performed by conducting specific tests or by downloading your rides to excel and writing analysis routines yourself.

Polar S150

[Sep 02, 2005]

OVERALL

Weak removes Autostart feature of S702i. So the S720i no longer has cummulative elevation and the S725i does have but has no Autostart ! Well on to the Cyclesport HAC4.

[Aug 01, 2005]
Squizzle

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to set up and install. Heart rate monitor strap also works at the gym with Polar equipped machines.

Need longer zip ties. Had to double mine up. Could use a narrower wheel magnet. The two it comes with "barely" clear my fork. I may try one of the Mavic wheel magnets. The 725 does not have auto start /stop like the 720i has. This is kinda weak IMHO. Why would Polar remove a great feature like this? Also need an easier way to reset trip distance.

So far so good. It has everything I need all in one unit. Speed, Distance,Heart Rate, Altitude, etc. When you import the data to your PC and you've set lap times, it even calculates the % grade for you, very cool.

N/A

[Feb 14, 2005]

OVERALL
Strength:

Very complete one stop shop package for all training parameters.

Takes time to understand all the features. Wireless sensors experience glitches. Owners manual is fair. It is a little tough to get all the summary stats out after a ride, but I really don't care anymnore. I go home and download the whole thing and have 1000 times more data then a few summary figures that the average computer gives you.

I have to say that this Polar downloadable HRM/computer is a system of several components that changed my overall understanding of cycling and fittness. And I was no dummy and no slacker before I owned it. I do not have the power unit and my try one next winter as I will soon have 2 road bikes. The Polar s725 is my HR monitor, my cycle computer for all my bikes, my training diary, and the thing on my wrist that reminds me I love to ride even when I'm at work. I try to explain to people whe don't have one of these things. ALL MY DATA, speed, cadence, HR, Altitude, calories, miles, etc is downloaded to a killer calander based diary SW package that keeps perfect logs of it all. This tool is absoulutly essential if you train to increase your performance. I'm not a big time racer, but am a very stong club rider, and over the last six to nine months of owning the S725, I am realy starting to deploy and see exact results of training routines and rides. Alot of us overtrain, perhaps not in hours ridden, but in intensity, this system helps me track that. As I am reading more (CTS type stuff), I am able to design much more precise winter workouts on my trainer and download and montitor them perfectly. I'm not over obsessed with digits and stats and now that I'm getting much more comfortable with the overall SW system, I just download my workouts and do a breaf review. It really keeps me in touch with what I did last week from how many miles, to how many calories I burned to how much time in each HR zone. I can see I am realy putting in Foundation Miles in winter and not just going over the top on every group trainer ride or group outdoor ride. Do you really know you LT? I have standard laps on my favorite hill climbs and flats. I know mine. I can also see that hill on the altitude plot so one I ride an record a climb once, I can look at the plots and make a plan to kill it next time. It's just downright fun. Overall, the Polar S725 has a few glitches with the wireless sensors (it is hard to get the speed sensor to work on you back wheel for trainers even with the secret jumper flipped). Overall the drawbacks are nothing compared to the gains. Just get one and let the others wonder what it is like to have the most complete training data and diary in the world.

Older Polar HRMs with Avocet Computers (the best)