Hammer Nutrition Gel Nutrition

Now you can get Hammer Gel in convenient single-serving packages. Hammer Gel uses long-chain complex carbohydrates for smooth consistent energy release to keep you energized all-ride long. There's only a trace of sugar so it won't set off wild insulin s

[Aug 10, 2013]
Greg

OVERALL
Strength:

Noticeable sustained engergy

Used for the first time. I ride between 50 to 140 km most rides during which sometimes I dont have power to push myself as much as I would like to. Upon taking one gel pack BOOM. My speed went from 32km/hr to 40 + km/hr without feeling tired. I just kept pedaling for the next hour. I also drank enough water to keep lactic acid burn away. This stuff is amazing!

[May 17, 2013]
Danielle Brenon

OVERALL
Strength:

Quick energy, good taste, clean ingredients.

Wish more of them contained caffeine.

I take Hammer Nutrition gel before just about any workout, long run or race. The mixture of complex carbs is good for health and for quick, clean energy! I have never experienced a sugar spike or energy crash when/after using this product. My only "complaint" is that I wish more of them had caffeine in them! My favorite flavor is espresso.

[Aug 28, 2011]
michaelscott23454

OVERALL
Strength:

Steady fuel, no peaks and valleys. After much agony with simple sugar containing products, finally solved stomach distress in hot weather with hammer gels/fuels.

Price can be high when you include shipping costs. Work a bulk deal with your LBS.

If you are training for long distance endurance events (5+ hours), you may have found, as I have, that fueling gets a bit more complex than just gels. I've been training for the LOTOJA Classic 2011 which is a 206 mile ride over 3 mountain passes from Logan, Utah to Teton Village, Wyoming. I've logged over 3000 miles since April this year with many rides well over 100 miles in temperatures approaching 100F. My two longest rides have been a bit over 10 hours long. I have experimented with a wide range of fuels but found that every product containing simple sugars gave me stomach distress when the temperature got above 75F, which happened on all of my long training rides. I finally settled on hammer products. They contain no simple sugars and are instead based on maltodextrin as the main carb source. I use one packet per 10 miles, alternating between a caffeinated and non-caffeinated gel each time. When the temperature gets above 85F, I back off to one packet every 20 miles. My hydration drink is perpetuum, also a hammer product containing no simple sugars, but having a small amount of protein which is essential for rides over two hours. I mix this 1.5 scoops to 500ml water for temperatures up to 65F, 1 scoop to 500ml water for temperatures up to 75F, and .5 scoop to 500ml water above 75F. While this does not keep pace with calorie expenditure, I have found that it supplements fat burning sufficiently to sustain multiple climbs and flat 18 mph pace for 10+ hours. My stomach seems unable to cope with intake much higher than about 300-400 Cal/hr. Hammer has good customer service, but free shipping requires purchase over $100. My LBS carries the products at a cheaper price than hammer when I buy from them in bulk. I use hammer's electrolyte product called endurolyte at a rate of 3 caps/hr when it is hot, less when it is not. Every rider is different so this advice may be ultra-conservative and perhaps irrelevant for shorter rides. For me, riding endurance events without stomach distress and with adequate fuel makes a huge difference in both performance and attitude. Whether you chose to use hammer products or not, I would suggest that your long distance fuel be free of simple sugars.

I've used every gel/fuel you could name, but finally found that simple sugars are the culprit for stomach distress and inconsistent energy over the long haul. There are plenty of "real food" choices that accomplish the same thing - boiled potatoes, banana's, bagels, etc, but the convenience of gel packs and hydration supplements make fueling and hydration much simpler when you are trying to concentrate on the pace line.

[May 01, 2011]
Austin

OVERALL

I was at states championships today and my coach gave my whole boat a hammer gel packet each 30 minutes before our biggest race of our live..... And it worked... it got me to pull harder and also got me a scholastic state title!!

[Jul 06, 2009]

OVERALL
Strength:

Individual packets work great. Love it!

If you use the flask you'd best put your own markings on the side that represent 1.25 ounces each...or ride at your own risk.

I'm 58 and due road endurance training on my mountain bike. I ride about 28 miles per outing in the Phoenix area. Prior to using Hammer Gel I suffered two different episodes of heat stroke...the last one almost killed me. After discovering Hammer Gel I've determined consuming one packet every 30-45 minutes works great for me. No more heat stroke problems! This product is great...at least the individual packets, that is.

The other day I opted to buy the large bottle to save money. They claim it contains 26 servings and the serving size is 2 tablespoons. I beg to differ! I did the math myself...26 servings should be 768 ml and this bottle is 650 ml. Quite a big discrepency. I also bought the Hammer Flask which they say holds 5-6 servings. If one serving is 2 tablespoons (36 grams), or 1.25 ounces, then this flask which has 5 markings on it should hold 6.25 ounces of product. I filled the flask with water up to the "5" marker, oured the contents into a measuring cup and found there's only 4 ounces of product in there.

I love the product but they need to make the flask so each marking represents the equivalent of an individual packet. I don't want to die because the folks at Hammer Gel can't do math!

[May 21, 2007]
Splat

OVERALL
Strength:

Highly digestible without upsetting my stomach. Not overly sweet. No spike or crash from simple sugars.

None that I can think of.

Best gel I've used. I tried Gu, Enervit, Cliffshot, etc. Any time I've had to use another brand I always regret it not being Hammer Gel. No spikes or crashes, just pure energy at a fair price. I always get the jug since it's cost-effective. Although Raspberry is my fav I have tried some of the others and found them not too sweet. I have a sensitive stomach. I'm not associated with Hammer in any way, just a satisfied cstmr.

What else is out there...?... I've tried it.

[Jun 05, 2006]
v brown (diabetic and bike rider)

OVERALL
Strength:

Good taste and good value.

Chocolate favored stuff works like other favors but looks sort of gross.

Love the Raspberry favored stuff. I mix 42 grams in a Hammer Gel flask and drink 1 flask for every 70 minutes I ride. It keeps my blood sugar levels within limits (riding between 16-20 mph) and I seem to last a bit longer with less cramping in hot weather.

[May 21, 2006]

OVERALL
Strength:

yum

I love hammer gel...it tastes so wonderful..and it makes my tummy smile! who doesn't love hammer gel? this stuff works! try it and you will be glad you did.

And on the bright side you don't throw up!!!!!!!

Chocolate tastes the best =)

[Apr 19, 2006]
Chuck

OVERALL
Strength:

Very Good product, great value when you get the big size. Lots of flavors and unsweetened. Great company. Great customer service. You can actually talk to a knowledgeable rep on the phone.

Chocolate flavor isn't very chocolatly

I have been using Hammer Gel for a while. It has a good thin consistency and it a lot cheaper than other gels. I noticed a preformance difference.The chocolate takes a little getting used to.

Cliff Gel, Gu

[Apr 26, 2005]
biknben

OVERALL
Strength:

Consistant good taste and quality, honest company, Cheaper than other options if you buy the jugs.

Not stocked by many stores.

I've been using Hammer Gel for a few seasons now. It taste as good or better than any other gel product. Not hard to swallow. Individual flavors are distinct and actually taste like a real food. Can't say that about many competitors.

Gu, Enervit, PowerGel, etc.