CycleOps Fluid2 Trainers

Best Price At
Available At

The Fluid 2 is designed to simulate real road riding through its innovative resistance power curve. No inconvenient resistance controls, simply shift gears to increase or decrease resistance. The power is in you, unleash it. Larger fly...

[Sep 18, 2019]
zohar

OVERALL
Strength:

I've had the trainer for under a year and it's already broken. It makes a loud banging noise at each tire revolution. It's no longer usable due to the obnoxious noise. What a monumental waste of money. I emailed cycleops for help and they never responded. Horrible company.

Don't waste your money!

2018
[Sep 05, 2014]
TxAthlete

OVERALL
Strength:

That's just it. This thing is solid! When set up correctly, it's as solid as freewheeling on the road, obviously without the bike sway and lean. Initially I bought the mag trainer but immediately realized there was not nearly enough resistance and traded it for the fluid. I have not been disappointed.

I can't think of any weaknesses but if we are being ridiculous, there is no power meter, it won't wipe sweat off my brow for me...

Bottom line is this is a solid trainer. My preference is to have my bike locked in and train on it vs an actual spin bike. Why? I don't race the spin bike and even the most subtle differences are significant after 40 mi. So, if you're a century rider or even close, train on your race bike and this trainer is the best way to do it.

Lemond :(, etc

[Dec 04, 2012]
FeltF75rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy setup, super quiet, good resistance. I just got this trainer and paid $290. I also got some other accessories for it as well and all total with tire block and bike thong am at the $340 MSRP.

I really have not found a weakness other than at times it is a little boring.

I will use this alot this winter due to alot of rain and its dark when I leave and get home from work. I am sure this will last many years and the fact that when not in use it is easily stored. I did alot of research and am satisfied with my purchase.

[Feb 18, 2012]
froze

OVERALL
Strength:

Plenty of workout wattage capability; smooth as silk; quiet; sturdy; easy and fast set up; vast library of training videos available.

Extremely boring...all trainers suffer from this.

This is among 2 other trainers that make up the top 3 mid priced trainers on the market. The newer version has a heavier 2.75 pound balanced flywheel that helps make the training more of a challenge and more of road feel. The faster the drum speed increases the more watts it develops up to at least 725 watts which is more then enough wattage for even advance riders, maybe not pro riders but a pro rider will get a free and very expensive computer type of trainer anyways more tuned to their riding abilities.

It is completely silent except for the noise of the tire rolling on the drum thus a smooth tire is quieter then a knobby tire which is not recommended to be used on any trainer anyways. You can easily ride the bike in a room with someone else watching TV and not bother that person unlike wind trainers. Some tire companies do make special trainer tires but I don't believe in them. You can use any tire that you have retired from the road as long as you first clean the tire real well and removed any embedded objects so you don't scratch up the drum.

The unit comes with a steel quick release skewer, use that skewer in place of yours on the bike if you don't want to mar up the one on the bike. It comes with a training video, but there are a slew of videos you can get once you completed that video that deal with all sorts of different training sessions.

There were some issues with the older units seals blowing and leaking oil everywhere, that problem was resolved about 7 years ago, so anybody reporting those issues are way out of date on their information. Also Cycleops customer service is top notch, a friend of mine had an older unit that blew a seal and Cycleops replaced it quickly with the new version for free due to it's lifetime warranty provisions. The fluid trainers are the most dependable type of trainers on the market next to the wind units, but the wind units are very loud, and the Mag units don't have enough resistance for above average rider.

You do need to follow the directions to the letter for setup, but setup is quick and easy. You should buy a front wheel tire block that holds the front wheel in place so it doesn't move much while pedaling. You also need to use a stand up fan so you can direct the air flow from the fan directly in front of you otherwise you will pour buckets of sweat all over the bike and floor. I would recommend a workout mat to go under the unit and bike but it's not necessary, I use a thin 1/8th inch thick non slip rubber mat. Any computer you might have will need to get the speed sensor connected to the rear wheel either by buying a sensor with a longer cable intended for rear mounting, or by placing the wireless sensor in the back (some wireless sending units may not be able to transmit a signal that distance from the computer); the longer cable sensors are usually under $15 for most computers. This trainer is compatible with Power Tap if you want the ultimate in computer training.

1Up (only one made in the USA anymore); Kurt Kinetics; (those two are the other two best mid priced ones on the market); Minoura.

[Nov 29, 2008]
rickturbo

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid, consistent resistance, quiet, smooth. Quick set-up. It rocks.

This is my "Goldie Locks" trainer. It's the third trainer and the best one of all. From Performance brand to 1upUSA, which by the way sucked. The Fluid 2 is smooth, quiet, solid and doesn't burn up tires. I love it.

Performance brand fluid, 1upUSA.

[Nov 14, 2008]
Russell

OVERALL
Strength:

Quiet. Smooth.

No power output measurement

Very smooth. Great resistance curve. Its great for wasting away the hours in the winter. Quiet enough to watch TV comfortably, without disturbing others around you.

[Oct 15, 2007]
Jorin

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth, simple and easy. Great customer service.

Not adjustable, lacks tension for some types of strength workouts.

Pricy, but a great trainer. Resistance is smooth, though at around 12 minutes, there is a small change in resistance as the unit has heated up.

After conversations with my LBS, I would stick with a fluid trainer, as I tend to destroy mag trainers. I am riding about 250 hours/year on an indoor trainer... so it sees a lot of wear.

Mag trainers, rollers.

[Aug 26, 2007]
TheSpecialist

OVERALL
Strength:

Very realistic resistance curve. Quiet to operate. Solid construction. Light enough to move and folds up well after assesmbly for easy storage.

No way to increase resistance (i.e. simulate hills), instruction sheet sucks, but assembly is easy enough to figure out on one's own.

The resistance it offers feels a little greater than that of the road, which is fine by me. Lives up to the billing that resistance increases with increased cadence. Overall, I'm very satisfied with this product and will use it whenever the weather is inclement.

[Feb 11, 2007]
stan ladd

assembly

I have ridden wind trainers since 1978. This is my 5th wind trainer if my recolledtion is accurate. Having just recently exhausted my Blackburn mag trainer I decided to try the CycleOps Fluid 2. I generally start my training on my 4th highest gear on my Cannondale road bike. After installing and adjusting the CycleOps Fluid 2 I found the highest gear on the bike was like the third highest with the Blackburn. This hardly brought my heart rate to 90 after 30 minutes. The unit is fairly quiet but the installation was more compicated than necessary. I will give the 1up USA trainer a try.

Blackburn Mag and other wind trainers

[Dec 11, 2006]
Mark Jarrell

OVERALL

I purchased a fluid trainer and have been well pleased with it. It is smooth and will give a very good workout. It is good for those winter months and rainy days. The set up is very fast and simple. I have no negative comments on the trainer. It meets all of my expectations.