CycleOps SuperMagneto Pro Trainers

We don't all live in sunny California and -10 degree rides on icy roads are not exactly ideal training conditions. Stay in shape through the winter with the Super Magneto Pro and be ready to smoke your fellow riders when spring rolls aroun...

[Aug 29, 2014]
kini

OVERALL
Strength:

Quiet. Actually silent compared to my previous blackburn tech fluid. The drive train is louder than the trainer.
Progressive resistance. I've only run it in the interval mode but the resistance is more progressive than my fluid was, it's also WAY more consistent.
Road feel, as such. It's great. As close as I've come to having actual road feel on a trainer. My fluid would spin down in 4 seconds or less regardless of wheel speed which gave it a feeling like you were always riding in sand. The SuperMag Pro takes a long time to spin down.
Bike setup. Simple and fast. The resistance unit setup is great. Allows for the same tension every time.
Not having to warm up any fluid. Just get on and ride.

Don't know if this should really be a weakness but the trainer does flex around the rear wheel mounting points. I'm guessing this is more a design affect to ease the stress on the frame but it did take me by surprise the first time a road it.

First I do 95% of my riding on the trainer. I suffered more than 4 long years using a crappy fluid trainer. I now actually will be looking forward to getting on the bike at 4 in the morning as opposed to dreading it. So.......

This is the real deal. Super quiet, great resistance curve well built. The resistance is consistent from second one on through however long you ride unlike many if not all fluid trainers. It doesn't get hot. My longest ride so far has only been an hour but at an average of 240 watts for the ride the unit wasn't even warm. Only the roller felt warm. Having the wattage chart for me is great as well since I have no power or virtual power setup.

After using the SuperMag Pro for only a total of an hour and half thus far I already know there is no way I would ever go back to a fluid trainer, not the Kurt and not even the Cyleops. Fluid trainers are last century technology. The SuperMag Pro is as modern you can get in a non electric (powerbeam, Wahoo etc...) trainer.

Well worth the price IMO.

Blackburn Tech fluid pro

[Jan 12, 2013]
sailor

OVERALL
Strength:

Good Feel, Quiet Enough to watch TV, Progressive Curves, Easy Setup,

Pricey

After trying out many of my friends trainer I decided to go with this one, I'm thrilled with my choice! I've road it at least every second day so far. Its quiet enough I can watch tv without it being too much of a distraction. This trainer is definitely improving my riding and as I improve I can adjust the setting. The only drawback is the price however if you can afford it, it is definitely worth looking at.

Fluid Trainers

[Nov 07, 2011]
Caruso

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid, great warranty, will last quite some time, no leaks as with fluid trainers,

Loud, Hardest setting might not be hard enough for strong climbers,

The high price is offset by Solid built, easy to set up and great warranty by cycleops. I have rollers as well that give a different feel and workout. I was looking for something to train the high end anaerob zone and to stay fit during the winter months. The 4 Zones are nice, it is louder than other reviews claim, no way you can watch TV etc.. unless you stay in easy warm up setting. Fly wheel and resistance come close to rad feel. The Hardest Hill setting mimics roughly a 8-10% grade comparing to effort spent.

Kreitler 2.0 rollers, Elite magn trainer

[Nov 24, 2010]
Brazen_Bikes

OVERALL
Strength:

Sturdy and amazing road feel. I liked the RaceDay DVD that was included with mine.

There is no Power Meter setup for this trainer, but who wants to spend that kind of dough for a number you can feel in your legs.

Okay, everyone knows the limits of indoor trainers, boring and lack of real road feel. Well that was before my SuperMagneto. The road feel is so real it is on another plane compared to my old fluid, mag and wind trainers that I got sick of. It has four settings for different training scenarios and adjusting legs for secure support. Don't tell your friends your "secret" and then blow the doors off them when good weather rolls around again.

Minoura Mag33, Performance branded wind trainer, Kurt Kinetic