DT Swiss R520 Rims

The DT Swiss R520 is a sturdy road rim, ready to be built into a phenomenal road training wheelset. The R520 features wear control. Wear control indicators are on the sidewall. They show the extent of rim wear. Profile Width: 20....

[Sep 01, 2010]
Alias Pauly

OVERALL
Strength:

Look good, easy to build, strong, reliable and cheap. Glad I chose them, happy with their performance.

As the previous reviewer said the rim joint is heavy. This is noticable in the trueing stand but not on the road. They're not light, I wouldn't use them on a climbing or racing set of wheels, but for training they're fine.

I was sick of breaking spokes on low spoke count wheels, so I decided to build myself a set of solid training wheels. I chose these rims because they are heavy (which hopefully means strong and stiff) and deepish (for some aero help). I built them 32 spoke, 3 cross with black 105 hubs and black DT Swiss Competition spokes. They look very good and are very solid. Ive been riding them hard for about 3000kms now and they have been faultless. I weigh 95-100kg and don't treat them well, ride them hard, bunny hops, pot holes, etc.

Can't really say if they are aero or not, but they don't seem too bad. They're not as fast as my more expensive, lighter, lower spoke count, shallower rim wheelset, but that's to be expected. I deliberately wanted these wheels to be heavy to maximise my training benefit and their reliability.

Shimano R500's (junk), Easton EA70's (fast but I broke spokes until I relaced them with CX Rays), Mavic Kryseriums (rock solid set of wheels, awesome for training)

[Aug 11, 2009]
Carbune

OVERALL
Strength:

Stay true, rigid. Decent weight, the real weight is 510g. In the rain water does not enter the rim easily.

Unbalanced, the rim joint is too heavy.

I have this rim for 7000km, and perform well. The only problem i see is that the weight is unbalanced, the joint area is very heavy.

Novatec Spirit wheelset on road bike, DTswiss XR4.1 rims on MTB.