DT Swiss RR 1.1 Rims

The first road racing rim! Due to its light weight, the solid interior construction, CNC machined side walls and our SBWT welding technology, the RR 1.1 is a revolutionary new DT Swiss product. 100% swiss made, pat. pending.

[Aug 27, 2014]
David

OVERALL
Strength:

Light and solid feeling. I had mine built with 240s hubs and DT double butted spokes 3X/32 hole. Loved them until an eyelet split on the rear wheel. It might be partly due to the tires and tubes, but these wheels were so perfectly balanced, like nothing else I had ever ridden on.

Not as durable as I would have hoped.

Maybe the failure was due to the fact that I am a Clydesdale (215lbs, give or take a few) riding on the not so perfect streets of suburban North Eastern U.S.. I have never had a rim crack before, and also never had such exotic parts. I had put, maybe 1500 miles on those wheels before the rear rim cracked (the front wheel is still perfect). Otherwise, these were the nicest wheels I have ever owned. I wouldn't buy the same hoops again, but I might buy the new DT Swiss RR 440 Asymmetric rim and lace it to that sweet 240S hub I am not using at this time.

Campy Daytona hubs with, I don't know what the rims are. Shimano 105 hubs with Mavic CXP 21 rims. Other rims I can remember the names of that I have been happy with: Sun ME 14A.

[Nov 19, 2010]
aingeru

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong...Light

Fabrication tolerances ??

Fixie wheel set. Good quality rims...but impossible to mount my Contis GP

RR 1.2 ( I mount the same tire with one hand on these )

[Jun 25, 2009]
Kristatos

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid value, will build into a light and strong wheel. Nice finish, attractive design, good braking surface.

Eyelet holds nipple pretty tight, turning the spokes can be a little tough when lacing these up.

I laced these up 3-cross to my Campy Record-10 hubs using 14/15 comp spokes. So far these rims are great, haven't needed to take a spoke wrench to them once. I run 180lbs. Living in a city I encounter lots of potholes and go off a curb sometimes. I can stop effectively with these and can scrub speed on a downhill faster than some lighter guys on fancier rides which gives me a lot of confidence. I would recommend these rims and would build another wheelset with them in the future.

various road and mtn rims over the last 25 years, mostly Mavic (which also rock)

[Jun 17, 2009]
smokva

OVERALL
Strength:

- good looking
- resonable price
- low weight

- prone to cracking around eyelets

If you are looking for strong and reliable rim stay away from this rim, at least single eyelet version. As many here mine developed cracks soon after built and after a minor crash few spokes pulled nipples entirely out of the rim.

Mavic, Campagnolo

[Apr 14, 2009]
Tom

OVERALL
Strength:

Weight and no maintenance

I have used these wheels for a year on my 29er Mtn bike and it is still true and perfect I weigh 160 #'s and the tire is a 29 x 2.1 (52/47) WTB Nano Raptor I ride many off road single track trails in Colorado

[Mar 04, 2009]
kiddoh

OVERALL
Strength:

Subtle graphics; strong, light enough; long life.

None yet.

1.1 rims, Competition spokes, 240s hubs. Bought these built by Joe Young based on his recommendation from my input. Solid wheels and hubs. Black fits with the bike. Smooth and true as the day they arrived (shipped to Japan). They have certainly handled their "Oh, sh*t!" BANGS while riding. I have recommended Joe and DTs since receiving them in forums. Bought these and Ksyrium ESs then resold the Ksyriums. Mavic hubs didn't match up with DTs and Mavic spokes scared me because of their limited-ness. Mine are 28 spokes front/rear; I'm 145 lbs. No wobble, etc climbing hills. No issue with weight but Joe convinced me in email these would be stronger than Ksyriums, just as light and last a lot longer. SO far so good. Just one spoke tightened in a few thousand miles. Total confidence flying down hills.

Ksyrium ESs. Ritchey Pro Aero WCS.

[Feb 10, 2009]

OVERALL
Strength:

Responsive in acceleration, climbing, and avoidance maneuvers. Solid road feel without a harsh ride.

Installing Continental 4000 tires is a serious challenge. Don't attempt it in the presence of impressionable children. Hope I never have to fix a flat on the road.

After 5,000 miles the wheels are as round and true as when new with no cracks and no need for truing. Front laced X2 with 28 butted spokes. Rear laced X3 with 32 butted spokes. Due to weight=145 and age=73, I don't stress a wheel like some younger and/or heavier riders. But, I believe Joe Young (www.youngwheels.com) who did a great job of building deserves most of the credit for good durability. Assuming a highly skilled build, these rims should provide good service for fast recreational riding, training, and even racing. Heavier riders may get better durability with a double eyelet rear wheel if that option is still available.

Mavic MA40, Open 4 CD, and Open Pro

[Mar 02, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

Light

World's tightest rim - Can't get tires on!!!

As mentioned previously, this rim is WAY, WAY too tight. Michelins, Bontragers and Vittoria will not mount with any reasonable effort. Only tires that I could lever on were Veloflex Black, and that was in the comfort of my garage with multiple Park tire levers and a Crank Bros speed lever. I dread thinking about having to wrestle with these on the side of the road someday fixing a flat - that's going to suck.

Question to DT Swiss - what on earth were you thinking????

Open Pros (very sorry that I strayed away from these)

[Nov 28, 2007]
campyhag

OVERALL
Strength:

Great riding rim.

Cracked after 4000 miles or so.

Single eyelet rim cracked. Contacted Mike who made it right.

Open pro-no cracking 15000 miles later

[Oct 21, 2007]
kytyree

OVERALL
Strength:

Built by usually reliable company.

Eyelets, I am not the first person to experience damage around the eyelets. These rims are developing a well earned reputation for cracking in that area.

Put about 2700 miles on this rim laced to my Powertap. Compared to other rims of this type that I have used it has required constant maintenance due to coming out of true, broken spokes and finally the rim gave out completely as one of the eyelets of the rim pulled completely out taking a 1/4 by 1/2 inch piece of the rim itself out leaving a big whole in my rim. Throughout I have had shops truing it up when it got beyond what I was willing to fool with. Nothing stays true forever but the type of failure I experienced is in my opinion something that should never happen to a box section rim with 28 spokes laced 3x on both sides with DT Competition spokes. That should be a pretty sturdy build and in the past rims like Open Pros etc. have last years for me while this one didn't even make it halfway through a season.

Mavic, Campy, & Neuvation wheels.