Velocity Deep V Rims

Deep cross-section for strength, aerodynamics, and reliability with machined sidewalls for improved braking performance. This is a great road racing or triathlon rim!

[May 11, 2019]
crash101

OVERALL
Strength:

Great Rim... Wheel builds are solid.

Customer service at Velocity USA is absolutely horrible. They could care less how long it takes them to build a wheel. After emailing almost daily for a week I was finally told it would ship Thu,. Thu. the guy is like "let me checkin with the wheel dept. and will get back to yhou". Did you check in with them when I contacted you yesterday, and 3 days ago? Fri. I'm told they will ship Monday. It'll be close to three weeks until I get my wheel. I can understand delays. But there is, no "our wheels ussually take X days to build, and we are sorry this one is taking longer." On there website it states "Most orders arrive within 3 to 7 business days." Um, mine will arrive in 2 - 3 weeks. So, this review is based around the "we don't care when you get what you order" attitude. When someone might be in a bind a little bit of customer service would go a long way.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2019
[Jan 24, 2016]
jimmy fb1

OVERALL
Strength:

Had a deep v 36 hole built at emery's to replace the rear wheel that came with my bike. My brother in law did the same. We have had no issues with our wheels now. They are solid and are still running true. We run 700 x 25 Gator skins @ 110 psi. and have 2000 plus miles on them. We both are over 200 lb riders so if your looking for a big boy wheel this is a good choice.

I would recommend deep v for big boys over 200 lbs.

[Jun 13, 2012]
bigjohnla

OVERALL
Strength:

Super solid, smooth rolling.

None that I can see

I am a big, 270 pound guy. A wheels worse nightmare !! I broke a number of spokes on my stock Trek Bontrager rear wheel and was getting tired of replacing spokes. My repair guy recommended the 36 spoke Velocity Deep V with a sealed bearing Velocity hub. I have 2000 miles on this wheel and it has been through hell and back. It is still a true as the day I received it and absolutely perfect. A great wheel

[Sep 13, 2009]
Doug Peterson

OVERALL
Strength:

Really strong.

Too narrow to be a great touring rim. Since the biggest tire you can mount is 32 or 35mm, it's merely a good touring rim. I wouldn't do a long self supported tour on them.

Pretty nice. I commute daily with them with long rides and a few loaded tours in between. They remain perfectly true, which is nice since I've been plagued by wheel troubles until these rims.

Even with my 200lb weight and fifty pounds of gear on the read of the bike I have zero issues -- add all the rough dirt I ride on loaded and I can't complain.

However, at one point the rear rim was dented, but I used pliers to straighten it out more or less. No issues.

The anodizing seems to scratch very, very easily, however. Good thing I enjoy the weathered look.

Velocity Aerohead OC, an assortment of crappy rims before that.

[Jun 28, 2009]

OVERALL
Strength:

Reasonably light (its a single speed anyway), impeccably true, rock solid, flashy as hell.

If you have found one please inform me!

I really love my Deep V's (red machined frnt, non rear) they are absolutely bomb proof! Built properly qith a .003" runout on both front and rear wheels, they roll unbeleivably true. They have been put through some torture as well, curb hops, potholes and all that wonderful colorado weather. Bombproof.

[Oct 04, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

Bombproof.
Attention-getting sexy wheels!

Braking surface is NOISY.
Painted surface is fragile.

I built up a pair of single speed wheels using surly hubs and pink deep-v rims. These wheels went together pretty well (deep rims can be a pain for getting nipples onto spokes). These wheels seem bombproof. I'm a lightweight (125 lb) woman, but I can load this thing up with groceries and haven't had a problem yet. My only issue has been noisy braking.

EA70 wheelset, vuelta, mavic cxp21

[Mar 07, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong, stiff, great roll when you get going. Look great on the bike.

Heavy, but then again, so am I, so who cares.

As a large rider, I needed strong wheels and a solid build. I recently got a new bike and wasn't thrilled with the Shimano 105 wheels. I decided to look for a 36 spoke build and after serious research, I went with a the Deep V's. They are super strong and stiff compared to what I was used to riding. After 6 month I have had no issues, but this is also a testimate to the wheel builders skill as well.

Mavic Reflex, Bontrager Race Lite, Shimano WH-R550

[Jun 04, 2007]
oily666

OVERALL
Strength:

Appearance, durability, light weight, ride.

Haven't found one.

Had these built NINE years ago as an upgrade. They're 28 spokes on Campy Record hubs. They were built at Activity Sports and Cycle by Dave Love who is, in my opinion, one of the best wheel builders in the country. I weigh 170 pounds and run high quality tires. These have been pretty much my everyday wheels and have been on numerous centuries, four RAGBRAI's, three Hilly Hundreds and four other week long rides in Wisconsin over every kind of road surface including miles of gravel. As best as I can figure, they have around 16K miles on them. Even though they're a deep V aero wheel, they weigh about the same as a set of Campy Protons but ride smoother. Obviously they climb well for a deep V but the durability has been amazing. I was told to bring them back after a few weeks for tweaking. I waited six years and we still had to use a dial indicator to find the .008" of runout in the rear wheel. Wheels are only as good a their builder.

Campy Protons, Mavic CXP.
FIR EL102 (cracked around spoke nipples at 6K miles)

[Mar 18, 2007]
Andy Look

OVERALL
Strength:

Look unbelievably good
Dimensionally PERFECT
Excellent price
Bomb-proof and stiff

Heavy - but this is to be expected

Very satisfied - it went on my fixed gear winter commuter bike - needed something bombproof -
specific build -
un-machined 32-holes
Formula hubs -
Wheelsmith 14/15 spokes/brass nipples.

These rims built up fantastically true, less than 1 mm radial runout, when perfect laterally.

Brakeless fixed riding is really hard on wheels, I put several hundred miles/month on the bike as my winter trainer/commuter here in WI.

Couldn't be more satisfied - I built this whole wheelset for $275-ish and don't think I'll be building another for a LONG time.

Mavic CXP 22, Rigida, Velocity Aeroheads

[Jan 06, 2007]

Strength:

Strength
Aerodynamics? N/A for my city riding.

These rims are heavy. They also weigh a lot. And, they are heavy!

I put a set of formula/deep v's on a fixed gear conversion to ride in Washington D.C.(less than 700mi) They have been absolutly bomb-proof wheels, never needed truing even with the lousy roads around here, curb hoping, and stair descending. I bought these rims with strength in mind, and they have delivered.
However, I wouldn't buy these again just because they weigh so much. If I was desperate for an aero rim, I'd probubly save my money and get a set of Mavic CXP 22 and spend the extra money on a good wheel build.

Open Pro, CXP 33, Velocity Aerohead