DT Swiss Competition Spokes

Application: Road, Mountain bike, Trekking, City Bikes Material: X5 Cr Ni 18/10, 1.4301 Tensile strength: 1000 - 1100 N / mm² (mid-area up to 1200 N / mm²) Thread: rolled Packaging: 100, 500, 3000 (BLACK: 72) Advantages: stability under high loads, mid-area acts as spring Certificate: DIN 79.100

[Nov 09, 2005]
Stronglight

OVERALL
Strength:

Fairly light, and these give me very little wind-up resistance when building. --- Strong: I don't even own a mountain or freestyle bike (so I don't jump off of anything higher than an occasional curb) and these are always tough enough for any roads (or pot holes) I've punished them on. --- Low price: I will often buy them on sale, so they are quite inexpensive - especially for the high quality they offer.

I usually build with DT's Competition 15/16/16 gauge spokes, typically in a 3x pattern. The 14/15/14 gauge I only use ocasionally - for the drive-side on a fixed-gear or a single-speed bike, or for the rear wheel of a full touring bike. The lighter gauge spokes are really fine for most any road applications. I don't remember ever breaking a spoke and I've ridden them on some very rough city roads and even un-paved roads and light trails. I trust them on my longest solo rides far from any support.

DT Revolution, Wheelsmith, various OEM garbage spokes.

[Apr 21, 2000]
Kathy

OVERALL
Strength:

Durability

Over the years, I've had fewer problems with DT spokes than any other. I like the 2.0/1.8/2.0 DB ones for a balance of weight and cost. They are doing well in all the wheels I use, even on the tandem.

Wheelsmith, Performance, generic stainless

[May 31, 2000]
Art S.

OVERALL
Strength:

•Strong, available in silver or black.

•Obviously not as light as Rev's or 14/16/14 Wheelsmith's, but that really not a "weakness".

This is for the black DT 14/15 ga. double-butted spokes.

These have been a very good choice for me in this configuration: regular silver Mavic 32H Open Pro rims, 2-X front w. Mavic MR-601 hub; 3-X drive-side/ radial non-drive rear on a Campy Record hub and alloy nipples all around. I get DT 14/15/14 spokes for this type of wheel when I can't find the Wheelsmith 14/16/14 DB's (my favorite spoke). I weigh between 192-200 lbs. (depending on the time of year, etc.), and I've used these wheels for cyclo-X type of riding and training rides. So I need something stronger than a Revolution, but not as heavy as a straight-guage.
These and the Wheelsmith's are easier to build with than the Revolution's, because they don't have the tendency to twist or "wind-up" as much.

The only spokes I like better than these in this application are the Wheelsmith 14/16/14 guage, because they're just a tad lighter and are just as durable. The Wheelsmith's are also a little less money than you often find DT's priced for. Minus one star each for that.

•Other guage DT's & Wheelsmith's.

[May 31, 2000]
Bob Owen

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong and reasonably light. ($8.99 for 20 at Performance, email me if you find a better price)

Heavier than Revolution spokes.

Probably the best combination of value and performance. Use these with brass nipples on the rear drive side and on the side of any disc brakes. They are all you need for anything but perhaps low spoke count tandem wheels and downhillers. Those type of wheels would be best built with Alpine III spokes that are oversized at the spoke elbow. Use 3 cross Revolution (see my other review) spokes with alloy nipples on the rear nondrive side for a killer light wheelset that's much stronger than the radial nondrive type. If you want a sturdy, last forever wheelset, use these with brass nipples all around. Mix in some Revolution spokes and alloy nipples everywhere but the R/DS for racier wheels.

Other DT and Wheelsmith spokes.

[Mar 22, 2001]
Terry

OVERALL
Strength:

Reliable.
Good all round quality.

The point where the waist begins - where the 2.0 diameter becomes 1.8 at the nipple end - is very close to the point where the spokes are bent round each other in a 28 spoke two cross wheel. Is this a weakness?

Reliable. No problems despite my clumsy wheel-building efforts and 120 pounds weight at speed downhill on rough tracks. Threads that secure the nipples well formed & not given to stripping. An excellent general purpose spoke that is light enough to build robust road racing wheels and strong enough to build reliable touring wheels.

[Jun 07, 2001]
Morten

OVERALL
Strength:

Scary strong....

maybe a bit heavy compared to others like DT Revos or Sapims but if you`re not Leonardo Piepoli or another 80 pound climber what does it matter

scary strong over the potholes.......

stainless steel spokes