Bontrager R2 Road Tires - Clincher

• Light and durable 60 tpi casing
  • Bontrager-exclusive aero wings for advanced aerodynamics
  • Integrated sub-tread puncture protection

[Nov 03, 2018]
paul1

OVERALL
Strength:

Great value for the money. I've used these for years and never had an issue wet or dry and considering I live in the UK I've done a lot in the wet. They are quite resistant to punctures, only ever had a handful in years of cycling. All the reviews saying dangerous in the wet should consider the actual environment i.e wet roads, smooth tarmac, after a long dry spell, any tyre will slide, including cars!

Nil really considering the price of other products.

Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2014
[Jul 19, 2016]
Patrick

OVERALL
Strength:

None given how dangerous they are on wet roads

Dangerous tire on wet roads. Don't even think of using those.

Have ridden other slick tires on both wet and dry roads and never had an issue. First ride on those on barely wet roads led to a nice slip/crash. Really slippery when wet

[Apr 01, 2016]
keith

OVERALL
Strength:

I have been getting these tires for the past 7 years, each set has lasted me almost 5,000 miles before the tread shows. I do little riding in the rain (only if I'm caught), but always slow down when coming to a curve. I paid $34.99 each.

Any tire that has a smooth surface will be a risk when doing curves/corners.

They last a whole season (4,000 - 5,000 miles). I don't race, but do alot of century/metric rides with several clubs. It works for me.

[Feb 24, 2015]
MistaMike99er

OVERALL
Strength:

Great "Dry" Tyres for under $30.00@ . They have a nice ride and super grip for the money. I love my Bonnie's---I used to only buy cheap, two for $18.00 Kmart/Walmart tyres and the improvement has been night&g'day. If money is an issue, buy near new on the Internet. Since I don't ride unless it's perfect weather, the Bonnie's are a good choice!!!

Don't even THINK of riding these in wet weather!!! I mean, if the rider in front of you spits on the ground, get off and walk yer bike!!! I had sprinklers go on while I was on the sidewalk and dumped the bike down a 30 degree revene---ouch!!! It's like my Miata, I roll on UHP summer tyres, not all season radials. I know better not to frolic in the rain or snow in summer tyres!!!

You get what you pay for. I ride a 1989 Champaigne La Tour that is highly prized on the used Schwinn market. Can I afford better? Absolutely. Will I buy another bike? Probably not. I like going inside a store and not worrying about having my lock cut and my $3,000 bike go missing. Sacramento where bolt cutters are King and every homeless guy has a nice bike!!!

For a good, $30.00 tyre, the Bontragger Race All seasons (2x$50.00) or these R2s (2x$60) are hard to beat. If I had a nicer bike, sure, I'd roll with Connies or Mitches---but I don't. The Bonnie's aren't racing tyres, they are economy touring tyres. You get what you pay for!!!

Kmart/Walmart Bell tyres!!! Didn't know any better!!! I now know you ARE your bike tyres---Economize elsewhere!!!

[Jan 17, 2015]
Eric de Heer

OVERALL
Strength:

Good in the dry

The worst in the wet

I bought my trek madone 4.5 with the R2s just before the summer and didnt do much cycling in the rain, so didnt notice the bad bad handling until I hit my first shower at the end of the summer, and lost grip completly at 25km/h on just the simplest of corner.... if you ever buy a trek, make sure you have the shop replace these tyres!!!

[Nov 06, 2014]
Steven Higgins

OVERALL
Strength:

Good grip, Longevity, puncture protection.

Great Tyre, have done 9500km on these without any problems - No punctures. They handle very well in the wet and have no problems at all in the wettest conditions with handling. Corner great and roll very well. Would recommend

[Jul 14, 2014]
Geert

OVERALL
Strength:

Great dry surface traction, low rolling resistance

Dangerous on wet surfaces and easy puncturable

I was looking for a website like this with reviews about this Bontrager tires because i slipped away in a wet turn with minimal speed. Before i hit the road with my new bike (Trek Madone 4.5) i checked the Bontrager website to discover what kind of tires they had put on my new bike, i couldn't find any information about the traction related to weather influences. So I thought they might be good enough for use in slightly wet weather. I had my bike only two days and on my 2nd ride i slipped away in a slightly wet turn and i had one flat tire (in 65km). Though, these tires improved my bikehandling in turns on dry roads, but I'll put on different ones before or after bad weather. I can't accept they put these tires on new bikes!

[Feb 28, 2014]
Eelke de Gelder

OVERALL
Strength:

Low rolling resistance

Very easy puncturable. Got 3 flats in 80 kilometer!
Bad grip on every surface that is not completely dry.

Worst tire I have ever had. A shame to sell this tire at all, and a big shame for this prize. Replaced it after 80 k, which makes it 0,30 € per k.

[Nov 20, 2013]
DAn

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight, stiff, good tread wear

tough to mount, stiff sidewalls

I got these on a set of used Bontrager wheels to act as a second set for commuting. After riding these tires I switched them for an old pair of Conti UltraSports (both are 23's). These tires are very stiff, a bit tough to mount (I prefer to be able to hand roll my tires) and I did need to use my tire irons to remount - not something I want on the road if I'm in a hurry. Ride is a lot stiffer than I like since I prefer a tire that has a little more road feel and give. I'll run these on my spare bike until they wear out but will stick to Continentals or Schwalbe especially at the listed price.

[Apr 06, 2013]
marhot

OVERALL
Strength:

-low rolling resistance
-dry traction acceptable

-puncture easy
-longevity
-wet traction

This tire came on my Domane 6.9. I can't believe Trek equipped such a cheap tire on a high end bike.

First cut after 200 miles on smooth, clean roads. A small stone cut deep, easily.

Handling is acceptable --but only in perfect dry conditions. On wet roads this tire is scary.
Rough roads --it's okay, if you slow down. Way down. Just not acceptable.

I guess this tire would be okay on a $800 bike.

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.