Bontrager R4 Road Tires - Clincher

• 220 tpi casing gives unparalleled comfort, light weight
  • Bontrager-exclusive aero wings for advanced aerodynamics
  • Integrated sub-tread puncture protection

[Apr 28, 2019]
JnRyan

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight. Decent grip.

Poor mileage tire. Not a good tire for wet conditions. I bought this because the shop did have the brand/model tire I wanted. For sure this was a tire I could ride only as long as it took the shop to get the tires I originally wanted.

Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2018
[Jan 12, 2016]
Bryan

OVERALL
Strength:

A great racing tire - an ONLY a racing tire!!!

For intended use - no weaknesses.

I read a few of the other reviews on this tire, and let's be candid - IF YOU THINK this tire has any other uses other than fairly serious racing, you have not read Bontrager's claims. Most folks should stick with the R3s or R2s.

Back in the day, I used many high-performance tubular tires, and the feeling is identical - look at one sideways and it will flat on you!!!

If you are realistic it's a great tire - great in corners - if you think you are going to commute on this tire, you will be disappointed...

[Feb 07, 2014]
JRay

OVERALL
Strength:

Tacky (even in wet), light weight, feels like a tubular

mileage, lack of sidewalls/colors

This is a Race tire, plain and simple. If you want something for commuting or even for riding daily this is NOT the tire for you, and nor should you expect it to. I used this exclusively for crits and road races and it did not disappoint. I didn't notice any more puncture threats than the other road tires I've used in the past. It feels as close to a tubular tire as I can get with a clincher. It gave me great confidence in the corners at speed and i'm planning on buying them again for the upcoming race tire. The lack of colors available wasn't important to me, but to some it matters, which is why I mentioned it.

Again, not an everyday tire. An excellent race-dedicated tire.

Michlen Pro Race 3, Bontrager R3, Conti GP4k, Conti GP4Ks, Specialized Mondo

[Nov 15, 2013]
Trek Fan

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast, Light, and seems durable thus far.

Price

I have not had any problems with these tires. I have had one flat on them and I have gone about 1,300 miles. I think that they are super fast and easy to mount on the wheels. They are kind of pricy but I have not had any problems and have had several rides in wet conditions with them and at no point did I feel worried about the tires.

[Nov 09, 2012]
argibson

OVERALL
Strength:

Supple nice riding tire with good dry grip. No experience in wet conditions.

These are the fastest wearing tires I have ever owned...showing cords within 600 miles! I have previously used Conti 4000s and got 3000 miles out of those (swapping front and rear around 2000 miles), and Michelin Pro Race 3 I have usually gotten 2000 miles out of (swapping front and rear around 1200 miles). Wow, for a $70 tire that came on a really expensive 2013 Project One Madone, I expected more.

I contacted Bontrager about this and they could have been less helpful.

[May 31, 2012]
Bill

OVERALL
Strength:

Rides ok

This came with my bike. First tire wore through to the tube in multiple places in 1000 miles. Dealer gave me a new one. It lasted 1100 miles before it blew the same way.

This tire is a POS. Unless you are willing to spend $70 every 1000 miles forget this tire. Conti tires go 3 to 4 times as far.

[Apr 28, 2012]
Andrew

Easy flats

I have 800 km on my new bike and I have now blown both Bontrager R4 on my bike. I pressured them both to 110 psi (range on tire states 90-125 psi) and went out for a ride today. I rode 18 km, laid down the bike and as i'm chatting with the bike on it's side, the front tire blows a hole out the side. I fixed the tube and managed to get back to the vehicle, only to find the back tire losing air rapidly from a couple of slices. I was riding on a highway, which I don't feel is unreasonable for this tire type. I weigh 190 lbs, the bike is 16, and have only taken this bike on highway rides. Do not waste your money.