Bontrager Race Lite Tires - Clincher

• More affordable verison of Race X-Lite
  • Natural carbon rubber tread for long tread life
  • 170 tpi casing for supple ride
  • Ultra round profile for incredibly smooth cornering
  • Kevlar bead
  • Weight: 190-260 grams

• USER REVIEWS

[Nov 07, 2013]
    Mark Heinicke

OVERALL
    Strength:

Light weight for very puncture-resistant tire at a good price.

Handling could be sketchy when at the limit (hard cornering and/or wet road).

I got this tire when away on vacation, gashed my Conti Gatorskin rear tire on glass, and the closest equivalent I could find in that area's shops was the Bontrager Race Lite; my first and only Bontrager tire. It's gone 7000+ miles in 26 months and recently I got my first puncture. The hole was tiny, probably from an unfound fragment of wire, and I found the tread had gone too thin and I'm replacing with another same. I'm a recreational rider, not a racer, and have the tire only on the rear (the front is a Conti Ultra Sport), so I can't speak to the handling in general, but I've locked up this tire twice in panic stops with minimal skidding. I second the recommendation of another reviewer to keep the pressure up (100-115); anyone who rides a road bike at less than 95 psi is asking for trouble, of the sort I had twice with Conti Gatorskins when I let the pressure get too low. I would always pick this tire over the Conti Gatorskin on account of weight (where I live I have to do a lot of climbing to get anywhere).

Note I luckily ride smooth, clean roads in rural Virginia so my estimate of puncture-resistance could be skewed.

[May 10, 2013]
    Oldguy

OVERALL
    Strength:

Rides well, even with the Oregon rain.

0 puncture resistance.

These tires came with my new touring model Trek, and I would never buy another pair. I've had 9 flats in a couple of months while riding the same roads and paths I rode with my old bike. The old bike had tires with armadillo (Kevlar) threads and I had one flat during the life of the tire. The Bontragers might be fine if you're always riding on perfectly clean pavement but in the real world (in my experience) they're junk.

[May 06, 2013]
    Owen

OVERALL
    Strength:

Fast, good grip.

Longevity, durability

I have about 900 miles on my set that came on my trek. Was very happy with them and had only one flat in the first 850 miles, now I have had 2 in the last 50 miles and am now seeing some bulges. Time to replace them. Would go with the same again, but expected a little more longevity. I was happy with them up to the most recent point in time.

[Apr 29, 2012]
    Paul from Pennsylvania

OVERALL
    Strength:

Inexpensive and good availability.

Poor workmanship and dependability.

Wanted a new set of tires to replace my Conti Gatorskins which are great for the winter months. At the recommendation of the LBS ,and because they had limited selection in size 25mm, I bought the Bontragers. First thing I noticed was they run very small, more like a 23mm. Next thing is the tread on the one tire isn't on straight which produces a bit of a wobble. Also the height of the second tire is out of round so you have this bouncing effect which makes this tire unrideable. Flatted once within the first 200 miles.
    I feel the tires shoud be returned to manufacturer but the LBS has been so good to me that I hate to return them. Going back to Continental or Michelins.

Continental and Michelins.

[Jun 11, 2011]
    Tommy

OVERALL
    Strength:

Breaking, dry handling, bombproof

Wet handling, very heavy, sketchy at the limit

Ultra reliable tire, never one flat in 2000 miles, got them to replace my piece of crap maxis fuse tires. However do not even think of riding in the rain.

maxis fuse (piece of crap)

[Jul 18, 2010]
    Jon Bainbridge

OVERALL
    Strength:

Nice looking tire.

Not enough milage for a $40.00 tire.

The only problem I have is for the price of $39.99 I would think that I could get mor than 3000 to 4000 miles on them.

[Jun 09, 2010]
    elamcup

OVERALL
    Strength:

I have had only one flat due to glass in the rear tire. I feel comfortable and confident haulin butt through turns on the bike.

These tires came on my first road bike in over 30 years, a Trek 5000 that I bought 18 months ago. I weigh 180 lbs and keep the tire pressure up around 120 psig. The with 2500 miles on them the back tire is showing it's age. There are numerous small cuts in the tread and it appears the threads are getting close to the surface in one spot (I have locked up the rear wheel a couple of times). The front tire looks very good. I plan on buying 1 new tire to mount it on the front wheel and move the front tire to the back.

My 4 year old hybred came with Continental CountryRide tires. I got 2000 miles out of them with no flats but the sidewalls cracked. They were replaced with Continental SportContact tires that have 1600 miles on them with no flats.

[Jun 02, 2010]
    Little Bunny Foo Foo

OVERALL
    Strength:

None that I can discern.

Tire is smaller than it's stated size.

I was given these by a friend who didn't have a use for them anymore. I didn't even ride them before I found them unsatisfactory. The tire is labled as a 700x25c, but it actually measures out to a 23mm wide tire. My contintental GP4000 tires (which are advertised at 23mm wide) are the same width. Bike tire manufactuers will do this so that they can say "My 25mm tire is as light as XX's 23mm tire!" Very deceptive and just makes me not want to purchase anything that says Bontrager on it.

This is consistant with other bontrage tires I have experienced (the Bontrager select 700x28c) as it was also 2mm narrower than what was stated.

Continental Grand Prix 4000, Hutchinson Top Speed, Hutchinson Globetrotter, Vittoria Rubino Pro, Vresden Action HSD, Performance's Forte Kevlar belt.

[Apr 27, 2010]
    Nancy

OVERALL
    Strength:

No flats

None, so far

Have almost 800 miles on Oregon Coast winter roads. No problem when wet roads or cornering. I keep between 100-110 psi which may partially account for my not having any flats yet.

[Apr 11, 2010]
    ridesondirt

OVERALL
    Strength:

Extremely durable. Have never flatted in 2500 miles.

A little heavy and could have a little more dry traction.

Some of these reviews are completely laughable. I bought these tires when I bought my bike because it came with Michelin Dynamics. Odd on a $1600 carbon bike but anyway. These tires have been the best thing I've ever ridden. Not one flat in 2500 miles on horrible New England roads. Just now that they are 4 years old are the starting to crack a bit. Nothing dangerous yet.

other tires